·
Banned
3,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #23

·
Registered
251 Posts
A Reliant😊
See, I am familiar with the Reliant Robin, but you say "Reliant" and my mind goes to something else...

I had an '89, exactly like the photo. Friend of mine inherited it when his grandmother passed away in '95. He refused to drive it. She had bought it new, kept it dealer maintained, and it had just 33K miles on it. I had an '84 Ford Ranger at the time and one day one of the frame rails folded on it. Rusted right through, I hit a bump, and all of a sudden the wheelbase got shorter on one side and it's crabbing down the road, leaned over like a drunken Scotsman trying to walk home in a stiff wind. I drove over to my buddy's house, asked him if could borrow the Reliant for a while, and he said if I promised to never bring it back, I could keep it, gave me the keys and signed title.

I drove the Reliant for 2 years without registering it, just ran on the plates buddy's grandmother had on it. I just put Maine's state minimum liability insurance on it and drove. I got stopped twice in that two years and the cops could never figure out why I had insurance, and a legal signed title, but no registration. No reg ticket was $25, no insurance was $150.

I never changed the oil, just added it. I got tires for it off the town dump. I wasn't poor, just unwilling to spend my money on it. When I bought another car, I gifted the Reliant to another friend that needed a car.

When I moved in 2004, the Reliant had been given, without cost, to at least two more people that needed a car, and was still going strong. That car lived up to its name.

The Ranger was still parked at buddy's house, where I had left it. Probably still is.

·
Banned
3,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #29

·
Banned
3,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
The 2020s will be a lot less likely to be saddled with lot rot.
Unless it is 2022 and no one wanted to buy it because it was killed.

·
Registered
793 Posts
The 2020s will be a lot less likely to be saddled with lot rot.
Unless it is 2022 and no one wanted to buy it because it was killed.
So you don't see scarcity/collectability coming into play anytime soon? That said, I prefer factory fresh, which is something the Spider's supply chain and market does a poor job of delivering.

·
Banned
3,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
So you don't see scarcity/collectability coming into play anytime soon? That said, I prefer factory fresh, which is something the Spider's supply chain and market does a poor job of delivering.
Any time soon? No. Maybe in 10 years.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts