Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These two additions to my vehicle lainched me into a new drive experience. 8 lbs reduction per wheel combined with the traction from these tires significantly improves the handling. The vehicle has Ohlins coil over and larger sway bars so this was a nice marriage.
Phoenix streets are HOT and that adds to the fun....

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Phoenix streets do get wet on rare occasion, be careful in the wet on those tires.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Duly noted about the wet conditions...my concern in Phoenix is when the monsoon season rears its ugly head. My lightweight vehicle would be transformed into a canoe without a paddle.

·
Administrator
1,928 Posts
I've read about the Ohlins but never read the price. How much did those set you back? If I do ever modify my Abarth, it will be for the same setup you have; improving suspension and reducing unsprung weight. I wouldn't be reducing ride height by much though; half an inch at most.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All 4 items, coil overs, sway bar, tires and rims run about $4.2k plus installing. I elected to install proven design and quality components so there maybe be had for a low cost with other bands.

·
Administrator
1,928 Posts
All 4 items, coil overs, sway bar, tires and rims run about $4.2k plus installing. I elected to install proven design and quality components so there maybe be had for a low cost with other bands.
Ohlins are overwhelmingly regarded as the best coilovers available on this platform. I wouldn't settle for anything but the best. I couldn't live with myself saving $500 to get something less than incredible. As a suspension enthusiast, I'm of the mentality that I should do it right or not at all.

Do you compete in AutoX or other racing events? I ask to gauge the benefit (or effect) the stiffer sway bars have on a street car.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't compete with this vehicle, just my preference to added these driving enhancements. However, that said, the benefit greatly reduced the body roll issue as well as other handling. PS. Years of riding European sport bike with amazing cornering and handling was definitely another reason to add this supension setup.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Needed to improve the stopping power, so, on went a new big brake (Wilwood) kit. Significant braking performance with this modification and highly recommend to Abarth owners.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts