Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow enthusiasts! I don't own an 124 Spider yet, but I'm planning to buy one. I currently own a modded 2006 Mini Cooper S JCW and a Citroën Xantia V6 Activa, the latter being my "sensible daily driver". Both of them have great handling and they have enjoyed some track time, both here in Finland and at the Nordschleife.

I've had my eye on the latest MX-5 for some time now. It's a nice handling car and I like it being even lighter than my Mini. And having a soft top and rear wheel drive makes it even more desirable. But I'm not a big fan of the styling. Then the 124 Spider came along. And after discovering there's an Abarth version of it I've been somewhat obsessed with the idea of getting one. :)

The Fiat dealer here said they don't have any plans of bringing the Abarth 124 Spider to Finland, so I guess I need to look elsewhere. I bought my Mini from Germany so that's probably the way forward. Or maybe just buy the Fiat here and put in the exhaust and LSD and suspension and have it tuned for Abarth power (and void the warranty in the process)...

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Asking from Finland of the West (Minnesota, USA). Does Finland being a member of the Euro zone give you some flexibility to travel to neighboring countries to buy an Abarth 124? Even if there was some minor cost penalty to do so, I think I would consider it. Travel to an Abarth-friendly country, buy it, and drive it home.

Happy Travels!
Steve.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Fly and drive? :)

[looking at a map] Man, that'd be one heck of a cool road trip if you bought one in Germany!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Asking from Finland of the West (Minnesota, USA). Does Finland being a member of the Euro zone give you some flexibility to travel to neighboring countries to buy an Abarth 124? Even if there was some minor cost penalty to do so, I think I would consider it. Travel to an Abarth-friendly country, buy it, and drive it home.

Happy Travels!
Steve.
Did not know about the Finland in Minnesota! Cool! Looks like you're pretty far up north too. Get any snow around there?

Being in the EU does make it easier to import cars from other countries in the union, although in Finland we do "enjoy" some national exceptions regarding taxation on cars. New cars are quite expensive here, and importing a used car means paying pretty heavy import taxes. Used Abarths (mostly demonstration vehicles) in Germany are going at about 35.000€ right now, and import tax would probably be in the neighborhood of 15.000€...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fly and drive? :)

[looking at a map] Man, that'd be one heck of a cool road trip if you bought one in Germany!
That's what I'm considering. I've done some road trips to Germany, usually by ferry but I've also driven through Sweden and Denmark. Another route would be via Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania and Poland, but the last time I was in Latvia and Lithuania the roads were horrible. In Germany I usually like to stay off the autobahns, lots of nice little towns to drive through there.

·
Administrator
1,928 Posts
Welcome to the forums! I hope you'll be able to find an Abarth. I would go for the Abarth over modifying a Classica/Lusso. The Abarth also comes with Bilstein shocks, some attractive wheels, a different front and rear fascia, a great sounding exhaust, the limited slip diff, and different tuning that also alters the steering feel. It's well worth it, in my opinion, to go through the trouble to get the Abarth.

If you do take a trip out, please take many pictures and post them here so we can see your adventures, especially if you drive back with a new Abarth!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Welcome to the forums! I hope you'll be able to find an Abarth. I would go for the Abarth over modifying a Classica/Lusso. The Abarth also comes with Bilstein shocks, some attractive wheels, a different front and rear fascia, a great sounding exhaust, the limited slip diff, and different tuning that also alters the steering feel. It's well worth it, in my opinion, to go through the trouble to get the Abarth.

If you do take a trip out, please take many pictures and post them here so we can see your adventures, especially if you drive back with a new Abarth!
I concur. I test drove a Classica, and although it too was a super fun car to drive, the "Sport" mode of the Abarth, along with all the other aforementioned, put it on another level. I opted for the Abarth myself and love it.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Did not know about the Finland in Minnesota! Cool! Looks like you're pretty far up north too. Get any snow around there?
Snow and cold, yes, to varying degrees depending were you are in the region. Arctic conditions visit us frequently each winter.

Central and northern Minnesota was a stopping point for many groups of Finnish immigrants from the mid-1800s into the 1900s, including my mother's ancestors. Sadly, I know almost nothing about them, but for my sake, I'm glad they came.

Best of luck with your car purchase!

Steve.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts