Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to find someone who eliminates all catalytic converters. i have found people that make the pipe after the first cat that eliminates that pipe to make the turbo spool faster. Plus in young and dumb a loud car is what im looking for ;) :D

·
Super Moderator
1,210 Posts
$10k!!! fine here if you are caught. Don't know what it's like where you are.

·
Vendor
3,099 Posts
I don't know of any catless downpipes on the market for the 124. I do know of at least one Abarth 124 that has a custom catelss downpipe.

Greg

·
Registered
676 Posts
The $10k fine is federally (USA) imposed for anyone tampering with, or removing a cat. Of course they would have to get caught in

the act. A law with lot of bark, and little bite, but most shops are unwilling to take he risk. When I had my shop it was strictly taboo to remove a cat, or any other pollution controls.

As far as inspection, most states mandate that all manufacturer installed emission equipment has to be present for the car to pass. The sniffer test/dyno run inspections are mostly gone (California still sniffs??), but OBDII will detect a missing cat and set off a CEL. If the CEL is on, the car won't pass. There are tuner parts suppliers that have kits that trick the downstream O2 sensor into thinking that a cat is in place, thus no CEL. I don't know if there are parts to do this for the 124.

Even if you can find a way of avoiding a CEL because of a missing cat, a diligent inspector will fail the car if the cat is missing. Most states require a visual inspection for the presence of OEM installed emissions equipment.

You pays your money, and take your chances. A word to the wise.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
$10k!!! fine here if you are caught. Don't know what it's like where you are.
10k? more like $160- to $300 Fix it ticket plus what ever else they want to harass you with haha

·
Registered
575 Posts
Yeah, I think where I am it's just a fix-it thing. If you have multiple infractions, then the MTO will literally pull your plates off and you gotta tow the car home or wherever, fix it all, and take it for inspection before you get the plates back.

After a series of tickets for each infraction of course.

·
Registered
676 Posts
10k? more like $160- to $300 Fix it ticket plus what ever else they want to harass you with haha
Sorry, but you are missing the point. The $10K fine is aimed at shops that remove or alter cats/pollution controls. You as an owner can plead ignorance and pay the lesser fine. Any shop owner in most US states who value their DMV license or business certificate will refuse any work involving tampering or removal of pollution controls.

Bottom line, if you can convince someone to do that kind of work professionally, or you can do it yourself, there may be consequences at inspection time. It's all well and good saying it's a "fix it" ticket....but it goes deeper than that......

·
Super Moderator
1,210 Posts
In Australia you (an individual) can be fined up to $10k for removing a catalytic converter. I personally know of someone who was fined $3k for having a "pretend straight through converter".

If cars are suspected of being unroadworthy, the police can pull you over and on-the-spot issue a mandatory inspection that has to be done at a government inspection centre within x days or the rego is cancelled. I've known people get mandated inspections for having too dark window tint or too loud an exhaust or suspicious tyre widths. It happens. I wouldn't chance it here.

·
Registered
529 Posts
And another thing...................

If you remove your cats your exhaust fumes may be malodorous .....probably not the best idea with a convertible

just sayin'

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Convertibles have been around long before catalytic converters.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
You start feeling a little woozy, experience tunnel vision, and crash into the rear end of
a cop car!!!:(
you make it seem like we are going to dump the exhaust right out the middle of the car you know there are things call exhaust pipes right ???

I guess this is why NASCAR always has crashes

·
Registered
232 Posts
YES... You are exactly

you make it seem like we are going to dump the exhaust right out the middle of the car you know there are things call exhaust pipes right ???

I guess this is why NASCAR always has crashes
right... that is exactly why NASCAR has all those crashes...Have you seen those guys get out of the car after a race???!!!

They look like Crack Heads...:eek::eek:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I just want to go fast I'm saving up for a v2 air intake A local exhaust company in OXNARD ;) ;) said that they will build an exhaust for my car to test and maybe take to the market and my tuner guy said that he could get me to 210+ with those 2 upgrades

·
Registered
107 Posts
Cut and paste from Wikipedia:

A 2006 test on a 1999 Honda Civic showed that removing the stock catalytic converter netted a 3% increase in horsepower; a new metallic core converter only cost the car 1% horsepower, compared to no converter.[24]

[24] Jump up to: a b "Beat the Law". Import Tuner. 1 October 2006. Archived from the original on 28 February 2014. Retrieved 9 January 2011.

Instead spending the money on removing the catalytic converter (parts and labor), why not spend that money on a professional driving lesson? I suspect the skills they can teach you (for a similar price) will enable you to drive faster than your current skill set + the 2 - 5 horse power increase from removing the catalytic converter.

I'm not saying you are an unskilled driver, but a lot of speed comes from the driver's skill sets NOT the car's potential.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Cut and paste from Wikipedia:

A 2006 test on a 1999 Honda Civic showed that removing the stock catalytic converter netted a 3% increase in horsepower; a new metallic core converter only cost the car 1% horsepower, compared to no converter.[24]

[24] Jump up to: a b "Beat the Law". Import Tuner. 1 October 2006. Archived from the original on 28 February 2014. Retrieved 9 January 2011.

Instead spending the money on removing the catalytic converter (parts and labor), why not spend that money on a professional driving lesson? I suspect the skills they can teach you (for a similar price) will enable you to drive faster than your current skill set + the 2 - 5 horse power increase from removing the catalytic converter.

I'm not saying you are an unskilled driver, but a lot of speed comes from the driver's skill sets NOT the car's potential.
To play devil's advocate, the rebuttal will be that because the 1.4L MultiAir has a turbo, there will be more benefit to removing the cat than with a Honda Civic.

I have no plans on going catless downpipe on my Spider.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts