Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this car since a month or so; daily driver.

I do remember the first few days, the muffler would give that nice pop sound when shifting gears, and some crack noises too when pushing the car over 4K RPM. Now, it has been about a week that I hear nothing of this anymore. Also while driving, the muffler noise seems quite reduced; compared to the noise you hear when the car is cold, and you just turn it on.

Not sure if it is just my hearing going bad, or filtering out the noise; or if there is something weird going on with the Abarth exhaust system. I did pay to hear that sound LOL

·
Registered
241 Posts
If you have the Monza record exhaust fitted,there have been problems with the mechanical valve that is fitted to this exhaust sticking, if yours is stuck closed this could be your problem Edit, someone beat me to it

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, I did find some pictures for the one from the 500 Abarth, but not for the 124.

I did look under the car, and I can't see the same attachment; I guess I have to jack it up to see it. Scary...

·
Registered
726 Posts
Is the malfunction of the Monza record exhaust valve a common problem? How easy or difficult is it to correct when stuck?

I've been considering it as an upgrade to my U.S. Abarth. It's not stock equipment here.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is the malfunction of the Monza record exhaust valve a common problem? How easy or difficult is it to correct when stuck?

I've been considering it as an upgrade to my U.S. Abarth. It's not stock equipment here.
Actually that's the exhaust on the Abarth models in US; at least that's what the salesman told me. The exhaust is quite different from the regular 124; both look wise and sound wise

From my understanding there is a valve that redirect directly the fumes out without going through the silencer, and it open at 3000 RPM or more; using the turbo pressure. At least this is how it works on the 500 Abarth; I assume the same is true for the variant on the 124? Many complains on the 500 forums; it seems that it is a standard problem, which is a shame. I was not able to find mine looking under the car, I will ask the dealer at my next oil change.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I don't think the US models had the Monza record exhaust fitted as standard, only the European market got them on the Abarth 124spider models.
Abarth models got the quad exhaust tips and a larger diameter pipe Could be why you can't find it on yours

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't think the US models had the Monza record exhaust fitted as standard, only the European market got them on the Abarth 124spider models.
Abarth models got the quad exhaust tips and a larger diameter pipe Could be why you can't find it on yours
I did check with FIAT USA and sadly, the record monza is not on the Abarth model.

I have written a very bitter mail to the company management; this is absurd that you get a car, change few things and slap a badge somewhere; while fundamentally is not that different from the original car. Do this in any other field, and the customer base will wipe you out of existence; not sure why it is allowed in the auto industry.

So I did spend money to get the Abarth, while even my exhaust is the same as the standard 124 spider...it just has 2 extra pipes for look.:mad:

·
Registered
917 Posts
In the US the car is referred to as a Fiat 124 Spider Abarth but elsewhere Abarth is set up as a separate brand, and the car is sold as an Abarth 124 Spider. In the US you get the same wheels and suspension as the "proper" Abarth, but no Abarth badges on the side wings (fenders) or horn push, nor do you get the "red bits" or no-cost option of the heritage look, and not the Record Monza exhaust (just an extra outlet pipe each side). But on the other hand, you only had to pay an extra $1k or so whereas in the UK at least, the Abarth was another £7k or so on top of a Lusso

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
In the US the car is referred to as a Fiat 124 Spider Abarth but elsewhere Abarth is set up as a separate brand, and the car is sold as an Abarth 124 Spider. In the US you get the same wheels and suspension as the "proper" Abarth, but no Abarth badges on the side wings (fenders) or horn push, nor do you get the "red bits" or no-cost option of the heritage look, and not the Record Monza exhaust (just an extra outlet pipe each side). But on the other hand, you only had to pay an extra $1k or so whereas in the UK at least, the Abarth was another £7k or so on top of a Lusso
Sure, I get the point from a marketing perspective; but it is fundamentally wrong.

Nobody asked for a rebadged/water down version of a car that is not even a Fiat (I used to have Abarth cars in the past, this is not my first, although the first for US market), but the problem is that here they sell the 4C, so if you make a proper Abarth like the ROW model, with the 4C engine, they won't be selling 4C anymore.

An US spec Abarth is not an Abarth at this point; I could live paying more for a sport model, although this is not the same as they did with the Giulia QV, which cost twice as much but you get twice as much car. Now I get why many US reviews say to buy the base model and prep it up, and steer away from the Abarth model. The ROW reviews instead, praise a car that in US does not exist, and this is disappointing if you ask me.

People make fun of ricers that put on weird wings and badging on their cars, to make them look different only in aspect; and that's why I am surprised to see comments saying that it is OK for the US model of the 124 Spider Abarth, to be as is now.

·
Banned
425 Posts
The U.S. Abarth has the Bilstein shocks, the modified exhaust. (it is more than tips, based on the sound and the extra 4 horsepower), it has the Sport mode additional tuning with button, and the additional strut tower support, as well as modified suspension tuning. It also has the 17" Gun Metal Wheels and Gun Metal Windshield mirror caps and headlight trim, sport engine cover, sport body facia, sport instrument cluster, aluminum pedal dressing and the Limited Slip Differential. And the Bondorant Trackside Experience which is a $1000 value by itself. That is a lot of mods, for an additional $700. (difference between Lusso and Abarth base models) You couldn't buy them separately and add them on for anywhere near that money. The Abarth model is a great value!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The U.S. Abarth has the Bilstein shocks, the modified exhaust. (it is more than tips, based on the sound and the extra 4 horsepower), it has the Sport mode additional tuning with button, and the additional strut tower support, as well as modified suspension tuning. It also has the 17" Gun Metal Wheels and Gun Metal Windshield mirror caps and headlight trim, sport engine cover, sport body facia, sport instrument cluster, aluminum pedal dressing and the Limited Slip Differential. And the Bondorant Trackside Experience which is a $1000 value by itself. That is a lot of mods, for an additional $700. (difference between Lusso and Abarth base models) You couldn't buy them separately and add them on for anywhere near that money. The Abarth model is a great value!
Your last sentence is the problem...I am not looking at value that goes in that direction. I am the kind of guy that is willing to pay premium for stuff that matters. Shocks and LSD; yes; good deal for the extra price; but the rest is really relative. I would gladly give up on the driving school, since I have no use for it; nor I have time to go to AZ :) Rims are something that you can add at later time; same goes for the lower bumper area, red instrument backpanel and strut support. can't say on top of my head how much would it be, but I can live without for sure.

The sport mode is a tuning setting; I believe you can do the same reprogramming the car setup with a mod, like many already do; after all people turn on the Sport mode by default when they turn on the car. I personally don't use it that often; I would be fine without the switch, although all that torque earlier, make the daily commute a bit of a pain.

The problem is being content with what they offer. If there was a sport package, with all this stuff, that would cost 3K, people would put it on their base 124, and probably spend as much as the Abarth as is now; but I don't think it would be madness to expect the Abarth with the ROW configuration and a bit bigger engine, for a sub 35K price. I did pay for mine almost 34K with the comfort package; so can't really say that it was a great deal :) Opinions of course,

·
Registered
682 Posts
FCA was able to do the 500 Abarth right and still sell it competitively. They could have done this for the 124 as well, and should have. The 124 Abarths that they showed to the Automotive Press were outfitted just like a Euro Abarth, as well as the 124 Abarth that Jay Leno gave to a female wounded warrior. All of the Abarth 124 Photos on Fiats website were Euro spec early on.

As a happy and satisfied owner of both a 500 and a 500L, I am very disappointed in the way FIAT handled the Abarth 124, many of us are spending a lot of money to try and get close to the Euro spec, and we can't get completely there regardless.

The price of the car in Europe doesn't matter relative to pricing in North America. Pricing is based on exchange rates, local costs, taxes, overheads, pricing of competitive cars, what the market will bear, etc. Its not as easy as just converting euros or pounds to dollars.

I actually feel that the car is a bit overpriced considering that we are not really getting an Abarth. I would have happily paid more to get the real thing.

The Fiat 124 was a great idea, but poorly executed. Here in NA, they showed cars that customers can't buy, wrongly decided that we all wanted auto transmissions, put features on the website that you could not order, (Heritage Stripe) did a half assed job on the Abarth, and put the Record Monza Exhaust on Mopars website but wouldn't let us order it. Fiat is struggling here in NA and a lot of it is their own doing. I ordered my car last October for May delivery. I just got a VIN! I doubt I will get it in May, and I will be surprised if I get it in June!

I hope someone from FCA reads this...

Reactions: spiderlovah

·
Registered
587 Posts
Your last sentence is the problem...I am not looking at value that goes in that direction. I am the kind of guy that is willing to pay premium for stuff that matters. Shocks and LSD; yes; good deal for the extra price; but the rest is really relative. I would gladly give up on the driving school, since I have no use for it; nor I have time to go to AZ :) Rims are something that you can add at later time; same goes for the lower bumper area, red instrument backpanel and strut support. can't say on top of my head how much would it be, but I can live without for sure.

The sport mode is a tuning setting; I believe you can do the same reprogramming the car setup with a mod, like many already do; after all people turn on the Sport mode by default when they turn on the car. I personally don't use it that often; I would be fine without the switch, although all that torque earlier, make the daily commute a bit of a pain.

The problem is being content with what they offer. If there was a sport package, with all this stuff, that would cost 3K, people would put it on their base 124, and probably spend as much as the Abarth as is now; but I don't think it would be madness to expect the Abarth with the ROW configuration and a bit bigger engine, for a sub 35K price. I did pay for mine almost 34K with the comfort package; so can't really say that it was a great deal :) Opinions of course,

It appears you should have done some research before buying. I am not sure what you thought you were getting but you could have found it out here or on a gazillion Internet sites: your letter is going to get a laugh (or two).

·
Banned
425 Posts

I guess I am a little confused. Other than a different exhaust, (although maybe not a better exhaust) and some badging, what performance options does the Euro spec Abarth have that the U.S. Abarth doesn't? I realize the Euro tune is 170HP, but that is an EPA problem, not higher performance parts. I am not familiar with the ROW but isn't it different than the Euro spec Abarth?

·
Registered
241 Posts
The Euro spec Abarth 124 changes between countries here as well,not so much with the engine power/suspension as such, so it's hard to really give a correct answer to that question. I would have liked an Abarth but wasn't prepaired to pay the premuim over the Fiat 124 £7000 to get one.But I would have paid the difference NA price for what you get extra over the Fiat 124

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It appears you should have done some research before buying. I am not sure what you thought you were getting but you could have found it out here or on a gazillion Internet sites: your letter is going to get a laugh (or two).
I did my research; the issue is simply that the trim is advertised differently, so it is not a matter of "sorry, you didn't check your facts", but it is borderline false advertisement.

They may laugh; I don't mind; but it may go also the other way around. In this country, as long as you have enough money, you can get whatever you want; and this include long legal actions. I am just pointing out that things are not right; the 500 Abarth did get the parts right; It was marketed differently; so I don't see why the 124 should be different.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts