Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just read a review that said there were no speakers in the passenger side headrest. I was going to criticize the review and then I went out and sure enough, in my Classica the passenger side has none! What about the other models? I'm really shocked.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I feel that the headrest speakers are only good for phone calls

The sound quality is very poor .

I've often thought of disconnecting them ,

·
Registered
66 Posts
Only good for talking on the phone. I’m amazed every single time that the person I’m talking to can hear me clearly over the engine and wind noise. No one has ever asked if I’m on a blue-tooth headset or if I’m standing outside. They hear me clear as a bell even at 70 mph with the top down. That’s good engineering in my book.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I am pretty sure that there are speakers in the passenger side headrest if you have the lux package with Bose. My car is in storage for the winter so I can't double check. Can't say that I really looked that hard, so I could be wrong.

·
Super Moderator
794 Posts
The base stereo has 6 speakers as follows:
2 tweeters, one in each A pillar
2 speakers, one in each door
2 speakers in the driver's headrest.

The Bose system adds:
2 speakers in the passenger's headrest.
A subwoofer in the passenger's leg compartment
for a total of nine speakers

·
Administrator
2,023 Posts
You're not missing much. The frequency response in the headrest speakers is very poor and they're off-axis. I have them faded very far forward for music listening and only really use them for NAV and phone calls. Not a great design acoustically.

·
Registered
430 Posts
You're not missing much. The frequency response in the headrest speakers is very poor and they're off-axis. I have them faded very far forward for music listening and only really use them for NAV and phone calls. Not a great design acoustically.
Will an upgrade of the headrest speaker help?

Paul

·
Administrator
2,023 Posts
Will an upgrade of the headrest speaker help?

Paul
Not really. They're still off-axis, which is far from ideal for higher frequencies, and there's only so much room in a headrest for a speaker, so you'll be limited to frequency response.

It's just a terrible design acoustically speaking. Functionally, it makes a ton of sense so you can hear someone on the phone or the NAV talking while top is down over all the road/wind noise. Musically, you're better off fading them almost entirely forward.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
I also have it faded very far forward.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hummm. I was amazed I didn't notice they weren't there. ADD strikes again!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My window sticker says I have four speakers. No wonder it sounds so poor (poorly). Oh well...

·
Registered
4,003 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
At first I thought the headrest speakers didn't do much except for phone calls. But lately I have been driving home from work with the top down and a hoodie on, I must say there is quite a difference in the sound of the stereo when the wind knocks the hood up to where the headrest speakers are obstructed. But along the lines of what Shark said, when I have the top down all I'm really trying to hear is that GWR growl. :)

Reactions: XtremeRevolution
1 - 17 of 17 Posts