Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

This is my first post on any forum and hope I don't bore you all!

I bought Spider Lusso in June. I love Italian cars and have had two previous Fiats both excellent. Daily drive is an Alfa Mito petrol 95 bhp, non-turbo, manual 'box. Dino is my first "real" sports car, I wanted something distinctive and properly sporty, I would never consider an MX-5 and love the work Fiat have done to Italianise this car and create an affordable alternative in the class.

The Spider is as near to a California T as I need to get and surely comes with some of the DNA Less is definitely MORE in this case, bravo Fiat!

Miles so far is 1350, 300 of which accrued on journey from Fiat dealer in Ayr Scotland where car was purchased. Problems? Occasional notchy gearbox but this will loosen up with more use I guess Also, has anyone noticed that DRL's go OFF when hand brake is applied at traffic lights etc? They come back on when driving continues, so NOT a fault.

Regards to all.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I never apply the hand brake at traffic lights, so I hadn't noticed that DRL behavior. Interesting though. Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Danny, Yes, a run to maybe Aberystwyth would be great, the trip from Ynys Mon to Aber is epic, daughter was in Uni there some years ago, always looked forward to taking her there and back during holidays etc!!! Lots of corners for rear wheel drive fun...... :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi!
I got my Spider in September. It's the humble classica - but yes, my DLRs also go off when the handbrake is applied. I guess they are 'running' lights, so if the car isn't actually moving????? It's rather odd though I think. My wife's Panda doesn't behave that way.

I have also noticed the notchy gearbox. I seems to be worse for the first 15mins of a journey. Going into 1st/2nd is the worse. I've driven a couple of 124s and they were the same. Mildly annoying - but all is forgiven very quickly I find!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey Honks, no Spider is ever "humble"...!! I find double de-clutching from 1st to 2nd gear helps when going from cold start. Once gearbox hot things improve.

I had a Panda 1.2 which went to 100k plus, 04 reg. Electric steering went and few bits over this period, but overall VERY good car, and would stay with most things on twisty road with only 60 bhp!

The DRL issue is quirky, my Italy built Alfa does not do this, but let's not forget, the 124 base design comes from another country, they do things differently....... :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts