Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up my Abarth Spider on Tuesday night. Driving the next morning got a huge stone chip in the windshield. Later in the day, walking towards the car with the top down, I noticed marks on the passenger side seat back bezel. The top, which I had only put up and down a few times, was rubbing against it! Service appointment now scheduled for next week to adjust top and replace bezel. I'm concerned about 'rub damage' to the fabric area that rubbed against the bezel. Anybody have a similar issue?

Otherwise, enjoying driving the car so far........

·
Registered
79 Posts
Odd coincidence - I noticed that yesterday evening on mine, but the other way round: I spotted that the front end of the hood, on the driver's side, was frayed, and found the cause. When I put the hood down, it rubs - one side only - on the rollbar protector (which is scratched like yours). Phoned the dealer and am taking it in next Wed. I will press for a new lid under warranty...

·
Registered
81 Posts
Sorry to hear of your experience. The problem of the soft top roof rubbing against the roll over bars was a common feature with the early ND MX 5s. In keeping with your experience, the bars were often scratched and the front of the roof marked/frayed. Initially dealers, as advised by Mazda, sort to solve the problem by inserting spacers. It was reported that mazda subsequently revised their manufacturing processes. It seems that whilst this substantially reduced frequency of such problems it hasn't been eradicated. Hope your experience doesn't put you off the car and you perservere. Best wishes.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Here are pics. Passenger side.
When i received the car, dealer didn't remove protection tape on the seat bezels. Day after i discover tape already remove little bit, i mean scratch on the tape itself and i remove tape, bezel was okey. No scratch. I check roof top and bezel, when i close and open it, roof top rub the bezel. there is no space. I think that's why they apply protection tape on the bezel during trasportation.

·
Super Moderator
1,281 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about this. It's an old issue that was solved with changes during assembly in 2016! I'm going to inspect my car right away and see if I have the problem.
What is your date of assembly?
Best regards,
Pete

·
Registered
476 Posts
Yes! I have this issue. I had keenly read the threads on the Miata forum about this and i was worried about this happening. On my old F124 there was plenty of clearance when i put the top down, which i would do from in the driver's seat. When I got the A124 i immediately saw that it touched the back of the driver's side hoop. I immediately stopped putting it down from inside the car and followed the recommendation from the owners manual to open it while standing outside and then i push down in the middle of the rearward edge of the folded top and it makes the needed clearance and will not shift back up against the hoop during the drive. I am hoping that after the top had been broken in that it will get the needed clearance and i can open it from sitting inside the car. Though i might just start an official complaint at my dealer until it resolves itself or they announce a fix on the Fiat side like the Mazda side. It's important to have a paper trail and to regularly make them note it so that it can be addressed even if the fix doesn't come until after warranty is out. Also the more of use that make a complaint and when they say they don't have a fix ask them if they can escalate this to the next level and provide them with the Miata tech bullentine on the fix. also we should call FiatCare to ask them to look into it, this might help move a remedy along.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Yes! I have this issue. I had keenly read the threads on the Miata forum about this and i was worried about this happening. On my old F124 there was plenty of clearance when i put the top down, which i would do from in the driver's seat. When I got the A124 i immediately saw that it touched the back of the driver's side hoop. I immediately stopped putting it down from inside the car and followed the recommendation from the owners manual to open it while standing outside and then i push down in the middle of the rearward edge of the folded top and it makes the needed clearance and will not shift back up against the hoop during the drive. I am hoping that after the top had been broken in that it will get the needed clearance and i can open it from sitting inside the car. Though i might just start an official complaint at my dealer until it resolves itself or they announce a fix on the Fiat side like the Mazda side. It's important to have a paper trail and to regularly make them note it so that it can be addressed even if the fix doesn't come until after warranty is out. Also the more of use that make a complaint and when they say they don't have a fix ask them if they can escalate this to the next level and provide them with the Miata tech bullentine on the fix. also we should call FiatCare to ask them to look into it, this might help move a remedy along.
Actually, the manual doesn't make a recommendation regarding standing outside. It just tells you how to raise or lower depending on whether you are standing or sitting, stating: To lower the convertible top from inside the vehicle, use the convertible top handles... To raise the convertible top from inside the vehicle, use the convertible top handles. The top needs to work properly regardless of which way your raise or lower it. (But, the whole point is to be able to do it inside.)

·
Registered
476 Posts
i went back to look as i remember it saying about lower from outside and it give you two versions one for in the car and one from outside the car. but the whole doing it easily and simple in 2 seconds is one of it's selling points and what i would rather open on a whim at any time.

manual excerpt:
Standing outside of the vehicle, hold
the convertible top along the front edge
and pull it toward the rear of the vehicle.
To lower the convertible top from inside
the vehicle, use the convertible top
handles.

Reactions: kpoling

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
When putting it down, I can't latch it without getting out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update. The rubbing is happening on both seat back bezels and wear is showing on both areas of the roof that are coming in contact with the bezels. Dealer has escalated to 'engineering' for remedy recommendation. Both bezels and roof will likely be replaced, but they want to make sure same issue doesn't occur again. In the meantime, I'm trying to enjoy the car and ignore looking at those areas!

·
Registered
417 Posts
Just noticed the top fraying on the drivers side and minor scratching on the roll-hoop cover. The fraying actually looks to have resulted in a small hole already, hard to tell from the photos though. To the studio!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts