Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
21 - 40 of 77 Posts

·
Premium Member
Abarth 124 spider Auto
76 Posts
Now for the serious answer....wheelbasealloys......Oldham, UK stock "almost" everything and have a good review feedback rating, they also match wheels with tyre options that fit including spigot rings where required. I ordered a set of BBS alloys, paid "then" they told me "NOT IN STOCK" so....if you visit, like and select a package then do CHECK on availability BEFORE ordering......Cheers
ron

They also buy in from their supplier "Rimstyle" who strangely do not seem to offer the full range...
Wow 2 minutes drive from where I live .. I have purchased tyres for my f86 X6M from them in the past.
I might call in once lockdown is over.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Wow 2 minutes drive from where I live .. I have purchased tyres for my f86 X6M from them in the past.
I might call in once lockdown is over.
Website.....That's where I went first, you can do it all from there, including chat and as you live around the corner, they do do fitting included in price I think.....take a look.....Cheers

Reactions: HCKLV

·
Premium Member
Abarth 124 spider Auto
76 Posts
Website.....That's where I went first, you can do it all from there, including chat and as you live around the corner, they do do fitting included in price I think.....take a look.....Cheers
I have only just purchased some in Matt black the other week that are et 37 and have new TPMS sensors fitted and Michelin ps 4 tyres. I was unaware you could get them in the white with the correct et45.
still might consider a set though.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I might be misunderstanding, but Wheelbasealloys just told me they have the ET37 version only, which would be the regular OZ ones I posted above. OP has that real authentic Abarth goodness. Wouldn't be surprised if the price per set and price per rim are comparable between the two.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
For anyone interested wheelbasealloys always have a "bargain basement" type page where sets of end of line, odd left on the shelf and ones they have had in stock too long go cheap......Cheers

·
Premium Member
Abarth 124 spider Auto
76 Posts
The op does show the part number on the wheel boxes showing the et as 45 and the correct size so no sprigot rings required either...
Very confusing ........

·
Registered
2018 124 Spider Abarth
53 Posts
A question on offset, does a 45 offset mean that the surface of the wheels are closer to the edge of the fender or further than a 37 offset?

·
Registered
572 Posts
A question on offset, does a 45 offset mean that the surface of the wheels are closer to the edge of the fender or further than a 37 offset?
Further by 8 mm.

Reactions: HCKLV and Brexit !

·
Premium Member
2019 A124 Manual
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 · (Edited)
My next question can't be answered with pictures and tape measurers but I would really like to discuss this more.

How much of a variable is getting these parts cleared through U.S. customs?

Even after exhausting countless hours researching the pros/cons of this purchase I always felt it was a gamble and really came down to what kind of a mood the customs agent was in that day if I wanted to see these wheels in my home.

I figured I had a 99.9% chance that these four works of art would be destroyed and that I should expect the bill for them to be crushed.

Any advice for the next American considering the same purchase as me would help because right now I would strongly recommend against it for that reason alone.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
My next question can't be answered with pictures and tape measurers but I would really like to discuss this more.

How much of a variable is getting these parts cleared through U.S. customs?

Even after exhausting countless hours researching the pros/cons of this purchase I always felt it was a gamble and really came down to what kind of a mood the customs agent was in that day if I wanted to see these wheels in my home.

I figured I had a 99.9% chance that these four works of art would be destroyed and that I should expect the bill for them to be crushed.

Any advice for the next American considering the same purchase as me would help because right now I would strongly recommended against it for that reason alone.
Yes, Good Point and I can't answer from your side of the pond, however....having bought a fair bit of kit from the USA...the stuff has always been well protected, Customs here in UK HAVE held onto most bits for a few weeks, Amazon purchases apart (they come direct no worries) and "NGEN" products have also arrived quickly well protected, The Customs duty at 20 % is grim though and if the kit is coming through Royal Mail (US Mail for you) then they apply a Handling Charge !! My Good-Win exhaust cost me an extra £200 ish because of charges and handling .
Just a thought but have you approached wheelbasealloys about INSURANCE position ? and...US traders like Eurocompulsion and NGEN (Brian Goodwin does not send to UK) to see if they deal with Rimstyle or Wheelbasealloys as those boys may be able to assist, or, offer something that catches your eye, they have the contacts and the knowledge...... You cannot exactly send a set of wheels back at your own expense so get it all sorted and in writing (emails) BEFORE ordering mate, Cheers
ron

·
Premium Member
2019 A124 Manual
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Yes, Good Point and I can't answer from your side of the pond, however....having bought a fair bit of kit from the USA...the stuff has always been well protected, Customs here in UK HAVE held onto most bits for a few weeks, Amazon purchases apart (they come direct no worries) and "NGEN" products have also arrived quickly well protected, The Customs duty at 20 % is grim though and if the kit is coming through Royal Mail (US Mail for you) then they apply a Handling Charge !! My Good-Win exhaust cost me an extra £200 ish because of charges and handling .
Just a thought but have you approached wheelbasealloys about INSURANCE position ? and...US traders like Eurocompulsion and NGEN (Brian Goodwin does not send to UK) to see if they deal with Rimstyle or Wheelbasealloys as those boys may be able to assist, or, offer something that catches your eye, they have the contacts and the knowledge...... You cannot exactly send a set of wheels back at your own expense so get it all sorted and in writing (emails) BEFORE ordering mate, Cheers
ron
Thank you very much. Any other opinions are certainly welcome and I appreciate the feedback.

·
Registered
8 Posts
View attachment 82466 ...were not difficult for me to import.

The hardest part was convincing the vendor to ship them to me but the phone call I had with the chap across the pond was hilarious.

Me "Your website won't give me a shipping quote."
Vendor "Because we don't ship wheels to the states."
"But I want them."
"The risk of damage is too high."
"You don't understand mate, I really REALLY want them."
"Sigh................"

He puts me on hold and those few minutes seemed an eternity.

Vendor "We'll do it, you have one shipping option and it's gonna cost you."

In less than four days these bad boys were safely flown from EU to US.

THIS NEXT BIT IS VERY IMPORTANT TO ANY INDIVIDUAL IN THE STATES LIKE ME ATTEMPTING TO IMPORT THESE O.E. WHEELS WITHOUT HELP.

As soon as the wheels landed in L.A. they were seized by customs.

All I was asked to do was complete and return the Dot HS-7 form, which they provided. At first glance this form looks complex and intimidating.

It's not.

By checking box 8 on this form I was only required to provide a written statement explaining why I think these wheels should be allowed in America.

My EXACT words were....

I, (my name), state that these wheels are for show and off-road purposes only. These wheels were not manufactured for use on U.S. public roads and that is not my intent, doing so is illegal and will also immediately depreciate their value and in effect ruin them. These wheels are not a necessary part of vehicle equipment to me, they are art.

It should be noted that after my form was accepted by customs my shipping company needed an additional $80 to cover import dues, not much, but it was unanticipated to me at the time just check with your local carrier.

In less than two weeks they are safely at home, all four Originali Equipment Ultraleggeras without a scratch.

Don't ask me how much I paid for wheels that can't be driven because I still believe it doesn't matter. What I see in my garage every day is important and the experience of owning this car has been priceless. I didn't buy these wheels for me or my 124, I bought them as a way to show my appreciation to Abarth. View attachment 82467
I love those wheels , l might try to have them shipped here to Australia.

·
Premium Member
2019 A124 Manual
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I love those wheels , l might try to have them shipped here to Australia.
I wish you the best of luck, please let us know if you are able too =)
I took for granted the rarity of these wheels in the States and also how EXTREMELY cool it is to be able to re-use that OG red center cap. Thanks to depotdan and Spazzz2002 for reminding me to do that because so far I have only done three things with these wheels.
1. Make sure they didn't put ET37s in a 45 box.
2. Inspect all four wheels for damage.(Flawless)
3. Share my story because to me it seems just too easy to be repeatable.
I probably could have had help from an import customs broker or a U.S. vendor as Brexit! had mentioned but these wheels were expensive enough and as I have shown all it took me was a little verbal persistence and a credit card. Cheers =)

·
Premium Member
2019 A124 Manual
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Regular? I would label those as the American version because yours are basically the same ones used on the A124GT, a vehicle that to me looks aggressive wearing Matte Black wheels. The Rally Tribute A124 appears a bit delicate and not very much like the race car it's based on.
I think Jon's Ultraleggeras look better than mine, ET37 or not, can you believe I am envious of his purchase?
Would Pirelli tires make my wheels look better than they are now?

·
Registered
385 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Isn't it was bit easier to buy same model in the US and paint them ? It there some difference?

·
Premium Member
2019 A124 Manual
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
It was easier for me to acquire them in white and the finish looks pretty good I won't be repainting. What's the difference? My car felt bad that it was born without a console plaque I was just trying to be nice.

21 - 40 of 77 Posts