Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

81 - 91 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I have Torque Pro on an android tablet pulling information off of an OBDLink MX+, but really just have it to clear a code if needed. My logging runs through Solostorm, which maps the OBD2/cambus information along with GPS info. The information is ok, but the refresh rate at 10hz could be better. Thinking of upgrading to a racecapture setup, again running through solostorm.

Don't really understand the logging for the sake of logging if you don't know what you were doing during that timeframe. The GPS data is important.
This year I used Track Addict Pro connected to a Kiwi 3 OBDII, a Dual Electronics 10hz GPS and GoPro Hero 5. For lap timing and displaying basic data it is an excellent and simple budget system. It was always within 5/1000th of second with the transponder. Sometimes faster, sometimes slower. It might do more but I haven't explored it fully.

You are right about knowing what you are doing at the moment of logging. What I'd like to be able to do is show AIT, oil temp, oil pressure and boost information overlaid on the video. Secondarily, I'd like to be able to analyze each lap to show where I was weak or strong in each corner.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
This year I used Track Addict Pro connected to a Kiwi 3 OBDII, a Dual Electronics 10hz GPS and GoPro Hero 5. For lap timing and displaying basic data it is an excellent and simple budget system. It was always within 5/1000th of second with the transponder. Sometimes faster, sometimes slower. It might do more but I haven't explored it fully.

You are right about knowing what you are doing at the moment of logging. What I'd like to be able to do is show AIT, oil temp, oil pressure and boost information overlaid on the video. Secondarily, I'd like to be able to analyze each lap to show where I was weak or strong in each corner.
I know what you want to do with gauge info in your video is possible because I have a BMW friend doing exactly that when he races.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I know what you want to do with gauge info in your video is possible because I have a BMW friend doing exactly that when he races.
What setup is he using? One shortcoming I've seen of collecting data via OBD is lag. If you look closely at the data on the spreadsheet you'll see some of it doesn't exactly sync up like it should. For example, you will see throttle position shows you are off the gas but yet you still are pushing 23 PSI boost - and at -7 degree timing.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Anyone here running the Torque pro app and seeing more than 22.2 lbs of boost? I am now running the Phase one tune from EC and will very easily max out the gauge at 22.2. Is there any way to get it to ready the proper boost numbers?
Go to Settings > OBD2 Adapter Settings > Boost Calculation Method > Prefer ALT

This lets you see more boost but the value is an estimation and not a measurement. You need a real boost gauge to real boost.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
What setup is he using? One shortcoming I've seen of collecting data via OBD is lag. If you look closely at the data on the spreadsheet you'll see some of it doesn't exactly sync up like it should. For example, you will see throttle position shows you are off the gas but yet you still are pushing 23 PSI boost - and at -7 degree timing.
I’ll ask him and let you know.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Go to Settings > OBD2 Adapter Settings > Boost Calculation Method > Prefer ALT

This lets you see more boost but the value is an estimation and not a measurement. You need a real boost gauge to real boost.
This is what I have been doing lately on Torque pro and it seems to be somewhat accurate. Occasionally it does, however, show a peak boost of 27Psi + in 100-degree weather which I don't believe is correct.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
This is what I have been doing lately on Torque pro and it seems to be somewhat accurate. Occasionally it does, however, show a peak boost of 27Psi + in 100-degree weather which I don't believe is correct.
If you are running a tune it’s possible to see boost that high in 100° weather.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I'm running a Euro+Drive Phase 1, I didn't think I would hit boost numbers like that till I got into a more aggressive tune.
That's a little too high. The highest I've seen with Phase 1 and Torque App in ALT mode on my car is 24.1 psi

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Steve, here's the reply from my friend:

Hi Dave,

The data that I have in my videos were coming from a Traqmate data acquisition system. Other such systems can export the same data. These aren’t coming straight out of the OBD-II port.

The overlays can be generated by various software. Most of my posted videos used Dashware, now no longer supported. Can’t recommend it for someone just starting.

I’ve been using “RaceRender 3” most recently—actively developed and full of features. Take a look at: http://racerender.com/RR3/Features.html

Can use data exported from a large number of systems.

Some action cameras, like the new GoPros, actually have GPS data in them that will show some data, and that data stream can be seen by the GoPro software and other rendering software (like DashWare).

For someone just starting with this, an EASY way to get started is using a smart phone and “Harry’s Lap Timer”. It will get the GPS data, take video, and do the overlay. Pretty slick for someone without an in-car data-ack system.
For anyone interested, my friend races BMWs, and he has videos on youtube, https://www.youtube.com/user/SCRPerformance

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Steve, here's the reply from my friend:

For anyone interested, my friend races BMWs, and he has videos on youtube, https://www.youtube.com/user/SCRPerformance
Thanks Dave. I actually started with Harry's Lap Timer and didn't like it. It failed on me every time I tried to use it and was too complicated. Track Addict Pro is much better, IMO. I do use RaceRender 3 already to pull all the data into the videos. Looks like Traqmate is all sold out so I guess I'll keep using my Kiwi 3.

81 - 91 of 91 Posts