Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

OBD2 Monitoring for Racing

13K views 90 replies 12 participants last post by  Chainringtattoo 
#1 ·
I have a Lemur BlueDriver OBD2 monitor and can datalog live with it. 5 stats are the recommended max. I currently have Barometric Pressure (Don't really need), Air Intake Temp, Lambda on O2 sensor, Intake Manifold Absolute Pressure (don't need this one anyone since I'm using Boost Gauge), and Timing Advance in the list.

What would be 2 better items to monitor to give feedback for tuning, health monitoring, etc.

Reactions: Spoolin32
#2 ·
MAP is useful as something to log. Baro pressure and ambient temp can be just read once and kept aside rather than taking ECU bandwidth. Lamba is super userful. What about LT and ST fuel trim? That would be useful if you plan to do something to the air intake or fuel system. Calc Load level may help make sense of some of the other readings, along with vehicle speed and RPM.

#3 ·
Load! I was discussing adding that yesterday with a coworker and had completely spaced it. Wanted it to go along with the Lambda to try see how they correlate. Will add the fuel trims, yes. I want to be able to give Toby as much good data as I can to see if he can tweak the AFR or corrections in conjunction with the water/meth injection. I don't need super rich to cool the charge. I also will probable need to break down and buy the Vaitrix controller for the injection so I can spread it out as its needed most and how much.

#4 ·
Can more people please chime in on what they are using for logging?

• iOS or Android?
  • What OBD2 device? Link to where purchased?
  • What OBD2 app?
  • Are you able to see and log boost over 22.4 psi?
  • What parameters are you logging? How many parameters?

I have Apple devices, so I’d prefer a solution for iOS, but I will consider purchasing an Android tablet if the solutions for Android are better.

#5 ·
I've only logged with Dashcommand for IOS. The problem is that is just gives way too much data. It logs dozens of parameters every 1/10th of a second. I also have OBD Fusion for IOS which I just discovered I can select what I want to be logged and there are dozens of parameters and you can switch on and off each one. I haven't tried it yet but plan on doing it sometime this weekend. I use a PLX Kiwi 3 OBDII device. I just swapped out plugs last night to the Brisks after doing the boost leak test. I'm going to see if the colder plug makes any difference. Still on the agenda today is an oil change and boost gauge install. Then out for testing.

EDIT. I have not had luck with logging with a tablet. For some reason it does not work nearly as well as the iPhone.

#13 ·
I use Torque Pro because it allows you to log boost pressure above 22.6 psi. I have tested OBDFusion and OBDWiz, both cannot do that.

#22 ·
Seems like you can't log on-demand with OBDFusion. It will log your entire drive from engine start to engine stop whether you like it or not. With DashCommand and Torque you can start and end logs whenever you want, but then DashCommand doesn't let you pick PIDs. Now I remember why I ended up using Torque almost exclusively.

#33 ·
I just installed the Vaitrix boost gauge and went out for about a 50 mile drive. I ran both OBD Fusion and Dashcommand during the drive. You can't run them both at the same time. The Vaitrix boost gauge did not agree with either app in real time. That may be because the app is slower to respond than the gauge. But at idle both apps showed -8.8 PSI whereas the gauge showed -22 PSI. Not sure which to believe. Also did not get a log file with the OBD Fusion app. It may be because I had it set to trigger with GPS frame rate and had all GPS values turned off. I'll have to try again.

#43 ·
I found a refurbed Amazon Fire HD 8 Gen 7 for $70 and can load Google Play store on it with a few other downloads first. I have an OLD Samsung Galaxy Tab that I use for SiriusXM in the garage but its too slow to even use the BlueDriver software for the reader I have now. Will be my new datalogger so I can free up my iPhone.

#47 · (Edited)
Looks compelling. Says available in December.

Self-Run mode does not require a smart device to be present. Kiwi 4 can be configured to monitor up to 16 OBDII parameters so that data is automatically logged in CSV format with corresponding date/time stamps to micro SD card for download and analysis to any PC spreadsheet software.

#51 ·
Banks is a great company. I ran their piggyback and other mods on my F250 Twin Turbo Diesel when I owned it. It ran so efficiently, not one bit of smoke ever. One time when I went to have it smogged I left the tuner on level 7 and blew a 0.3% opacity out of 40% allowed!

#52 ·
I have the Lemur bluedriver, also. Very easy to use, but one distinct shortcoming: has a sample rate of 500ms. To me, this just doesn’t seem fast enough.

#53 ·
It was fine in the beginning when the issues I was trying to capture were ongoing, but I do agree that now I needed something with a much faster sampling rate to catch the small variances to see if anything else can be tweaked to get a little more out of her.

#54 ·
#59 ·
I bought OBD Fusion for iOS because DashCommand wouldn't clear the two P1CEA CEL's I got before Greg sent me the newer 'T'. Haven't checked out how it does for logging yet.

DashCommand I found a bit overwhelming tbh.

#60 ·
I bought OBD Fusion for iOS because DashCommand wouldn't clear the two P1CEA CEL's I got before Greg sent me the newer 'T'. Haven't checked out how it does for logging yet.

DashCommand I found a bit overwhelming tbh.

Not a fan of dash command either. It logs EVERYTHING and no way to select what you want that I have found. Its also missing Timing Advance of all the things that you would want to log.

#84 ·
Go to Settings > OBD2 Adapter Settings > Boost Calculation Method > Prefer ALT

This lets you see more boost but the value is an estimation and not a measurement. You need a real boost gauge to real boost.

Reactions: sharkcohen
#77 ·
22-24 is the max you will ever see in the apps (depends on the programmed offset) due to the 8-bit limitation of the ECU to OBD output. Some apps try to predict it using differences in other sensors readings but its not perfect.

#80 ·
I have Torque Pro on an android tablet pulling information off of an OBDLink MX+, but really just have it to clear a code if needed. My logging runs through Solostorm, which maps the OBD2/cambus information along with GPS info. The information is ok, but the refresh rate at 10hz could be better. Thinking of upgrading to a racecapture setup, again running through solostorm.

Don't really understand the logging for the sake of logging if you don't know what you were doing during that timeframe. The GPS data is important.

#81 ·
I have Torque Pro on an android tablet pulling information off of an OBDLink MX+, but really just have it to clear a code if needed. My logging runs through Solostorm, which maps the OBD2/cambus information along with GPS info. The information is ok, but the refresh rate at 10hz could be better. Thinking of upgrading to a racecapture setup, again running through solostorm.

Don't really understand the logging for the sake of logging if you don't know what you were doing during that timeframe. The GPS data is important.
This year I used Track Addict Pro connected to a Kiwi 3 OBDII, a Dual Electronics 10hz GPS and GoPro Hero 5. For lap timing and displaying basic data it is an excellent and simple budget system. It was always within 5/1000th of second with the transponder. Sometimes faster, sometimes slower. It might do more but I haven't explored it fully.

You are right about knowing what you are doing at the moment of logging. What I'd like to be able to do is show AIT, oil temp, oil pressure and boost information overlaid on the video. Secondarily, I'd like to be able to analyze each lap to show where I was weak or strong in each corner.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.