Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, are the very large and attention drawing front and rear Abarth bonnet and hood badges removable with no adverse consequences on the panels? For example guiding lugs and subsequent holes etc?

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts
Hi there, are the very large and attention drawing front and rear Abarth bonnet and hood badges removable with no adverse consequences on the panels? For example guiding lugs and subsequent holes etc?
They are obviously designed to cover the area occupied by the Fiat badges...although I wouldn't be surprised to find Fiat badges under them!

Reactions: Greg

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts
Thanks, so from the pictures I've seen there is a recess in the bonnet at least for the Fiat badge?
Agree. The Abarth badge appears to be designed to cover that recess.

Reactions: MotoPete

·
Registered
615 Posts
Perhaps someone who's wrapped their car in the Heritage Look could chime in?

Unless they wrapped around the badges I suppose. They are big enough! :p

·
Registered
670 Posts
Agreed! I am still waiting for my Abarth (end of Feb.) so hoping I will be okay with them. But likely not. Being a designer this and several other examples show me that the right hand is not talking to the left at Fiat. Silo design going on in that company as well as marketing. I have seen it before with large corporations. The Abarth badge seems like an after thought.

So if I can't live with it and there are no aftermarket options I will likely design my own. Buy the Fiat versions, scan them to get the profiles, design around that shape to fit the hood recess, machine out of aluminum, hard anodize them black (UV protection), then diamond cut the top (scorpion and Abarth only). Try to make it a lot more subtle. Likely some type of 3D frame around the edge and a machined texture in the background

·
Banned
425 Posts
I like my badges. It is an Italian car. My Italian friends wear big gold chains around their necks among some other over the top styling cues. I think it is part of what makes them Italian. Mazda is still making the MX-5, right?

·
Registered
670 Posts
I like my badges. It is an Italian car. My Italian friends wear big gold chains around their necks among some other over the top styling cues. I think it is part of what makes them Italian. Mazda is still making the MX-5, right?
Ouch! Didn't mean to offen you Stelvio. Just my opinion. Just not in love with billboarding on products. Plus, just because I have an issue with the badge and a few other choices doesn't mean I don't love the overall design. Cars just like people are not perfect, but you love them despite of it all.

·
Registered
56 Posts
To each their own, I like the badges. I paid the premium price for the premium car. It's nice to be part of the heritage and show it. I am however still interested in how to remove them though, for the same wrap reason. ;)

Reactions: tlrominger

·
Registered
727 Posts
To each their own, I like the badges. I paid the premium price for the premium car. It's nice to be part of the heritage and show it. I am however still interested in how to remove them though, for the same wrap reason. ;)
My wrap shop just cut around them. They did however, have to remove the chrome "124spider" badge from the trunk lip, and suggested I purchase a new one because removal destroys the adhesive. So I got a new one from Desira Parts out of the U.K. and it took a couple weeks to ship. I think it was somewhere around $40.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Any thoughts on the rear trunk badge being removable? Doesn't appear to have a recess hiding under the badge. Would someone mind having a look from under the lid for me?

·
Registered
727 Posts
Any thoughts on the rear trunk badge being removable? Doesn't appear to have a recess hiding under the badge. Would someone mind having a look from under the lid for me?
I've seen them for sale on eBay and they appear to have a couple of pins on the back side. I suppose one could find a smaller badge of some sort to cover the holes left behind on the trunk lid. BTW, the inner lid is covered in carpet and requires removal of around 18 clips to access the sheet metal.

I'm keeping my lid badging though, even though it sometimes remind me of a big Texas belt buckle. I'm fond of them in a humorous sort of way.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've seen them for sale on eBay and they appear to have a couple of pins on the back side. I suppose one could find a smaller badge of some sort to cover the holes left behind on the trunk lid. BTW, the inner lid is covered in carpet and requires removal of around 18 clips to access the sheet metal.

I'm keeping my lid badging though, even though it sometimes remind me of a big Texas belt buckle. I'm fond of them in a humorous sort of way.
Thanks for letting me know Jim. Looks like i'll have to get a bit of paint and panel work done :crying:

·
Super Moderator
1,087 Posts
I'm willing to live with it.
There are only two of them, and the rest of the car is very subtle. There was a post I saw with someone actually adding side panel badging, which I think spoils the look of the car. On the plus side the bonnet/boot badges will deflect at least one question, but you're still going to get the inevitable "Abarth?" reply and a follow up question.
It's too bad Carlo Abarth is so poorly known in the US.

Pete

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts
Gee....I like the side badges. The car looks naked without them LOL

·
Registered
39 Posts
I feel you on that. The abarth badges are just too big and they're everywhere, front, back, rims. Are there any pics of what's underneath them? The one on my trunk doesn't seem to look completely flush, almost like it was just glued there in a hurry. Anyone else have a gap between trunk and bottom edge of the emblem?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Any ideas on how to remove the 124Spider rear badge? Would like a black one if available or paint the existing on!

1 - 20 of 65 Posts