Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Abarth
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick background, I currently live in west Texas, but not for too much longer. I wanted this past summer to hit up any last areas I have not explored in the past few years living in Texas. I also bought my 124 Abarth earlier this summer. So, I was hoping to do one last awesome roadtrip. The one area I never really explored was the south west area, with more emphasis on Big Bend National Park. Looking for rallies, cruises or whatever...I found something called Octane Fest. It would be 3 days of driving the area including Big Bend. It mostly fit the bill. Big(ish) issue was the lineup. This was very much targeting muscle cars. The vast majority of cars participating were Corvette's and Mustangs. The oddball was absolutely me. No one really knew what I had. But, it made for a great conversation starter.

We were based in Alpine, Texas for a few days. There was a performance shop there that ran the show. They pretty much run the Terlingua Mustang brand now, which is pretty cool. I was always a fan of those cars and their association with Carrol Shelby. Arriving to the shop the first day was a treat as the place was full of some special cars. Not all were participating in the rally, but still cool to see them. Also, the Big Bend Open Road race is held not too far from here. The final day would cover the road the race is held.

And brisket for lunch, with a view!

Day 1 was just arrive and register.
I will be posting more photos for the rest of the days, and all the driving we did. This may take a bit of time.

·
Registered
Abarth
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Day 1 - Apline to McDonald Observatory to Marfa

Early meet-up before a drive to the McDonald Observatory, roughly 2000 foot gain with plenty of corners. To be honest, this was the first real road I have driven with the Abarth, and I did so with vigor.
In all, 54 cars made it up the mountain. 53 made it down....

The only other non-American car, and the Mustang is rocking a straight 6...and it ran damn good. Loved both being out there.

·
Registered
Abarth
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A bit more...

Passed by Ft Davis

·
Registered
Abarth
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
End of the first day took us to Marfa, and a quick stop at a Prada store.

Has anyone seen Giant?

The Pisano Hotel, setting from the film Giant.

Reactions: wolf18t

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
First Biden sign I have seen anywhere, lol

Reactions: chilicharger665

·
Registered
Abarth
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The next day we drove to and toured Big Bend National Park. It may be out of the way, but this place was impressive. A must see if you are ever in the area. From there we took a river road along the Rio Grand. This has plenty of tight and twisty roads, a lot of hills, and a couple places you can catch air if you are not careful.

Reactions: wolf18t

·
Vendor
3,343 Posts
Those are some great pictures. I love going on those types of drives, I feel I car is ideal for that sort of fun.

Greg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts