Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

481 - 500 of 515 Posts

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
My final word on this thread..... hopefully !!!
I cloned my 8GB SD card to a 16GB SD card.
Successfully updated my Maps to EU + Russia (January 2021). Made a copy of the new card for safe keeping.

Group email sent to Fiat HQ Turin, NNG and Naviextras...... perhaps they'll discuss the server issue in their next Supplier/Vendor Rating Zoom Meeting (damaged reputation ?).

The only thing that still concerns me is why FCA in North America have been so silent on this subject given that they monitor this forum ?

All is well in the UK.

·
Premium Member
2,309 Posts
The only thing that still concerns me is why FCA in North America have been so silent on this subject given that they monitor this forum ?
Well, speaking only for the Canadian part of North America, our Canadian FCA Customer Care (an oxymoron if there ever was one), are lying, deceitful, fatherless children. Not that I'm bitter or anything. lol

From the first moment it was brought to their attention, they efforts were to kill the issue by any means possible. Not a moment was spent by them to actually assist in finding a solution. Thankfully the US team were far more honest and dilligent in their efforts, as were your FCA folks in the UK and Europe.

The thing I'd like to see done by the NaviExtras folks is to fix their website so when a person launches a query regarding access to content (or payment for same) that we don't get spammed by an autoreply telling us that our system/vehicle isn't supported by them. Okay, in full disclosure, I'd also like to see them extend all the paid map update availability end dates by the amount of time in which we were unable to access them. In my specific case, that was 110 days from purchase to actual download.

Reactions: AnClar

·
Premium Member
2017 Abarth
164 Posts
Yes, provisionally: October 2020 Map Update!

The chargeback dispute process takes time; my credit card issuer has the multi-page follow-up form I've filled out with the details of the problem, including citing this thread. I'll try to remember to update this thread when they conclude their process.
Following up on this, today I received a letter dated the 2nd containing this:

I'd like to think the business people there were perturbed enough to light a fire under the technical people.

·
Registered
2018 Red Top Edition
32 Posts
Map Update release Feb. 2021

Just checked my SD card w/Naviextras and it came up with an update Feb. 2021. Download Successful.... I'm located in U.S.A...This is not the one I downloaded last month when server issue was cleared.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I just updated 2 days ago. Checked my SD card just now and Naviextras is downloading an update again. I am also in the USA.

Reactions: GColl71190

·
Registered
34 Posts
PS: The SD card shows more capacity used. I think I want to copy my navigation files to a larger SD card. I am running Windows 10. I have seen some posts on copying the card but none that are totally comprehensive.

Reactions: Bob T

·
Registered
2020 Fiat 124 Spider Classica
10 Posts
Can you skip the Oct 2020 update and just do the Feb 2021 or of does one need to do both?

·
Registered
2017 classica in grigo moda meteor grey, autoricambi non res. Focal f51 wheels Eibach Pro springs
49 Posts
Is their any way to check the map version in the car? Or in a pc?

Thanks, Eric

·
Registered
2018 Red Top Edition
32 Posts

Thanks, Eric
When you plug in sd card into computer toolbox will tell you if you have the latest version. Never seen anything In Cars display. Toolbox with card inserted search for history. Will tell you latest download on card.

·
Premium Member
2,309 Posts
Can you skip the Oct 2020 update and just do the Feb 2021 or of does one need to do both?
You can go straight to the Feb. 2021 version, you don't need to do them in sequence. No matter what you're starting with for a version, you just need to install whatever the latest version is.

...and be patient. The site (and process) is painfully slow. When I updated my content from Oct. 2020 to Feb. 2021 this afternoon, it took nearly two hours from start to finish, and added about 300MB of additional data beyond the Oct. version.

·
Premium Member
2,309 Posts
Thanks, Eric
There's nothing in the onboard navigation system that tells you the version of map content you're running (that I'm aware of). But if you acquired the car before October 2020 and haven't updated your navigation data, then at best, you might be running the content from July of 2019. That was the last update to content issued for North America prior to this past October. Many things can change in over a year and a half, including not just the changes to roads, but also things like speed limits and all the associated information like services available (restaurants, fuel, medical, hotels, etc.). I think it is especially important given how much impact COVID has had on businesses and services.

BUT, and I can't repeat this often enough... buy another 8GB Class 10 SD card, and clone your nav card before you being doing any updates. Then update both your original and your clone. That way if anything happens to the original, you have a copy to fall back on. My rule of thumb is to update both, put the original in a safe place in my study, and use the clone in my vehicle.

Reactions: goddahavit

·
Registered
502 Posts
...clone your nav card before you being doing any updates.
Mr. Google is having a hard time telling my how to clone an SD card. Even less info on moving to a larger card.
At least not without spending money on special software.

Any links, tips, info, help on the SD clone process would be helpful. (And does really have to be a class 10?)

Thanks....

·
Registered
2017 classica in grigo moda meteor grey, autoricambi non res. Focal f51 wheels Eibach Pro springs
49 Posts
Mr. Google is having a hard time telling my how to clone an SD card. Even less info on moving to a larger card.
At least not without spending money on special software.

Any links, tips, info, help on the SD clone process would be helpful. (And does really have to be a class 10?)

Thanks....
here is a link, go to the backing up section.

I am quoting here but the important part is this:

One large advantage to this ability is that you can purchase a faster, larger-capacity Ultra SDHC Class 10 card (8 GB is adequate), and after formatting it FAT 32 and copying the files from your original VIN-locked card onto it, use that card instead – so that, in theory, not only should your Nav boot up quicker, but should future updated map files grow in size, you won’t have to worry about your card conceivably becoming too small. The hardware is said not to be compatible with SDXC though, so don’t try those cards (this may not be the case for 2017 vehicles and newer, but I’ve yet to confirm). You have a greater chance of success of creating a backup copy of your SD card using the command prompt xcopy with switches /E /V /G /H /K (all directories, also empty ones, verify copy, include encrypted and hidden files, do not change file attributes).

after the xcopy, i then put card into the toolbox, and updated it i had issues until i was able to do this.

this is all i got, good luck.
Eric

·
Registered
502 Posts
here is a link, go to the backing up section.

I am quoting here but the important part is this:

One large advantage to this ability is that you can purchase a faster, larger-capacity Ultra SDHC Class 10 card (8 GB is adequate), and after formatting it FAT 32 and copying the files from your original VIN-locked card onto it, use that card instead – so that, in theory, not only should your Nav boot up quicker, but should future updated map files grow in size, you won’t have to worry about your card conceivably becoming too small. The hardware is said not to be compatible with SDXC though, so don’t try those cards (this may not be the case for 2017 vehicles and newer, but I’ve yet to confirm). You have a greater chance of success of creating a backup copy of your SD card using the command prompt xcopy with switches /E /V /G /H /K (all directories, also empty ones, verify copy, include encrypted and hidden files, do not change file attributes).

after the xcopy, i then put card into the toolbox, and updated it i had issues until i was able to do this.

this is all i got, good luck.
Eric
Thank you, but there is still no specific information on cloning the SD card. I've cloned drives, and optical discs, just not an SD card.
Nothing I have seems to "clone" cards. And like I said, the Google machine has limited information, mostly about offers to sell me software to do that.
Anyway, I updated my card. Did the online backup, whatever that is good for. Original card is updated, and done.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Forget the term clone.
create a folder on your c drive, example c:\maps
insert your sd card so you see it as a drive in my case d:
open command prompt.
use xcopy command to copy card contents to the folder you created.
example... xcopy d:\. c:\maps\ /E /V /G /H /K
insert new card, make sure its fat32.
now run command to copy it back.
example xcopy c:\maps\ . d:\ /E /V /G /H /K

syntax should be close i am unsure exactly.

now i am unsure of steps, but probably need to use the toolbox
have to try things and test in car from here.

Eric

Reactions: Bob T

·
Registered
502 Posts
Forget the term clone.
create a folder on your c drive, example c:\maps
insert your sd card so you see it as a drive in my case d:
open command prompt.
use xcopy command to copy card contents to the folder you created.
example... xcopy d:\. c:\maps\ /E /V /G /H /K
insert new card, make sure its fat32.
now run command to copy it back.
example xcopy c:\maps\ . d:\ /E /V /G /H /K

syntax should be close i am unsure exactly.

now i am unsure of steps, but probably need to use the toolbox
have to try things and test in car from here.

Eric
OK, good. Thank you. I was hoping it was just misuse of the word, although I am sure cloning would work....
If we're just coping complete content, it's all good. (y) :)

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I reworded Cal's reminder, and added it to my Navigation "Backing Up / Updating your SD Card" section of my article.

buy another 8GB Class 10 SD card (16GB in Europe), and create a backup "clone" of your Nav card before doing any updates. Then update both your original and your clone. I recommend that you put the original in a safe place, and use the clone in your vehicle. That way if anything happens to the copy, you have the original to fall back on.

·
Registered
502 Posts
@ameridan Y'all still confusing me, now. :unsure:

Are you copying the files to a new card, or are actually creating a clone of the card? If cloning, what do you use?

481 - 500 of 515 Posts