Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

501 - 515 of 515 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Backup "clone" implies a copy of all files. Clone was Cal's term, which I thought was self-explanatory ;)
Do you have a better term in mind?
Yes, "Copy all files, including hidden files" would be better. It is an accurate statement of what to do. Cloning as used, is not really self-explanatory, since copying all files is not cloning, at least as far as I know. Cloning an SD card requires special software.

Not trying to be picky or anything. Gosh knows I've read and used your blog since before I got this car. And I thank you for all of it. Just letting you know for me, and maybe others, this was confusing.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks Eric and Ameridan. I looked on Ameridan's site first. I remember seeing something about copying the SD card on his site but could not find the post again. I found Eric's instructions before I posted. But it's been a long time since I have used DOS commands and lost Eric's original thread on the copyx command syntax. I knew I was missing the "from" and "to" location designations. Just did not remember the syntax of the old DOS stuff. I think I can get this done now. But instead of an 8GB card, I think I will use a 16GB card. Use of a Class 10 SD card is probably very important. I also assume that it's important for the card to be formatted as FAT32.

·
Registered
2018 Red Top Edition
32 Posts
Thanks Eric and Ameridan. I looked on Ameridan's site first. I remember seeing something about copying the SD card on his site but could not find the post again. I found Eric's instructions before I posted. But it's been a long time since I have used DOS commands and lost Eric's original thread on the copyx command syntax. I knew I was missing the "from" and "to" location designations. Just did not remember the syntax of the old DOS stuff. I think I can get this done now. But instead of an 8GB card, I think I will use a 16GB card. Use of a Class 10 SD card is probably very important. I also assume that it's important for the card to be formatted as FAT32.
Question: Since the dealership provided Nav card was a16gb and I've downloaded 2019, 2020, and this past 2/21 update my card is 3/4 full. Doe's anyone know if a 32 gb card can be read by our system? Thanks.

·
Registered
2017 classica in grigo moda meteor grey, autoricambi non res. Focal f51 wheels Eibach Pro springs
49 Posts
weird, i only show 6.3 gb of 7.4 used, i didn't check my 16 as it is in the car. are you sure its 16gb? my original was 8gb.

·
Registered
2018 Red Top Edition
32 Posts
weird, i only show 6.3 gb of 7.4 used, i didn't check my 16 as it is in the car. are you sure its 16gb? my original was 8gb.
Definitely.16gb . Stand corrected..numbers are as yours...9gb free. I do want to clone. Will car read 32gb card. Thinking read speed may suffer?

·
Premium Member
2,309 Posts
Question: Since the dealership provided Nav card was a16gb and I've downloaded 2019, 2020, and this past 2/21 update my card is 3/4 full. Doe's anyone know if a 32 gb card can be read by our system? Thanks.
mmmm The OEM nav SD card has always been an 8GB. Does your card from the dealer looks like an OEM version with the white label and black text, or does it look like they began making their own copies? I'm unaware of it ever being provided in 16BG format. Someone else asked about the file format? Yes, the blank SD card needs to be formatted as FAT32. I am unsure if a 32GB would be recognized or not. The challenge we're now facing is that blank 8GB SD cards are becoming hard to source, unless you want to buy a five pack of them. So maybe the newer OEM cards are now being produced on 16GB SD cards.

Anyway, back to the question regarding 32GB size. I guess the only way to find out is to try one if you have a spare kicking around. I don't think the extra empty space on the card would slow things down. I personally just recently pruchased a very inexpensive Class 10 16GB SD via Amazon that I'm in the process of testing. I made the clone yesterday, and forced the volume size to expand to take into account any extra space on the card. Start of March will be the next time I take the car cover off to do a monthly startup, and when I do that, I'm going to test the 16GB SD to see how the system responds. I won't be able to test it during a drive, but I will be able to see if I can enter a destination and pull driving instructions or not.

Hopefully someone who has sucessfully and recently creating a functioning 16GB clone of the 8GB OEM card can post the exact syntax and process they used to make the working duplicate.

Yes, "Copy all files, including hidden files" would be better. It is an accurate statement of what to do. Cloning as used, is not really self-explanatory, since copying all files is not cloning, at least as far as I know. Cloning an SD card requires special software.

Not trying to be picky or anything. Gosh knows I've read and used your blog since before I got this car. And I thank you for all of it. Just letting you know for me, and maybe others, this was confusing.
Sometimes we overthink things, and that creates challenges that don't need to exist... and when I say that, I speak from personal expreience. Simply put, to clone means to make an identically copy, in both content and functionality. No more, no less. You can do it with a software app, or you can do it using DOS XCOPY in the CMD window. Neither is necessarily better or worse than the other, it's just a matter of personal preference and comfort level. If you wish to use a desktop app, there are several out there that offer free versions.

Definition of CLONE

But if folks need a more verbose description, I'll not stand in the way. McDonald's has to warn people that coffee is hot too. It's the world we live in. lol

Reactions: goddahavit

·
Registered
18 Abarth 6MT, all the options, Chipbox and OEM Abarth fender badges. Pedalbooster not installed
518 Posts
FWIW mine is a 2018 spider with the original equipment Navi card and it's a 16gig card.

·
Registered
502 Posts
mmmm The OEM nav SD card has always been an 8GB. Does your card from the dealer looks like an OEM version with the white label and black text, or does it look like they began making their own copies? I'm unaware of it ever being provided in 16BG format. Someone else asked about the file format? Yes, the blank SD card needs to be formatted as FAT32. I am unsure if a 32GB would be recognized or not. The challenge we're now facing is that blank 8GB SD cards are becoming hard to source, unless you want to buy a five pack of them. So maybe the newer OEM cards are now being produced on 16GB SD cards.

Anyway, back to the question regarding 32GB size. I guess the only way to find out is to try one if you have a spare kicking around. I don't think the extra empty space on the card would slow things down. I personally just recently pruchased a very inexpensive Class 10 16GB SD via Amazon that I'm in the process of testing. I made the clone yesterday, and forced the volume size to expand to take into account any extra space on the card. Start of March will be the next time I take the car cover off to do a monthly startup, and when I do that, I'm going to test the 16GB SD to see how the system responds. I won't be able to test it during a drive, but I will be able to see if I can enter a destination and pull driving instructions or not.

Hopefully someone who has sucessfully and recently creating a functioning 16GB clone of the 8GB OEM card can post the exact syntax and process they used to make the working duplicate.

Sometimes we overthink things, and that creates challenges that don't need to exist... and when I say that, I speak from personal expreience. Simply put, to clone means to make an identically copy, in both content and functionality. No more, no less. You can do it with a software app, or you can do it using DOS XCOPY in the CMD window. Neither is necessarily better or worse than the other, it's just a matter of personal preference and comfort level. If you wish to use a desktop app, there are several out there that offer free versions.

Definition of CLONE

But if folks need a more verbose description, I'll not stand in the way. McDonald's has to warn people that coffee is hot too. It's the world we live in. lol
No....I stand by my statement.
Clone (identical disc image), and copy all files, (files in no particular order), are different. Just looking for clarity here, that's all. :)
If we don't need a cloning app, don't say clone....If all we need to do is copy, say copy...simple really...

Reactions: CXXIV

·
Premium Member
2,309 Posts
No....I stand by my statement.
Clone (identical disc image), and copy all files, (files in no particular order), are different. Just looking for clarity here, that's all. :)
If we don't need a cloning app, don't say clone....If all we need to do is copy, say copy...simple really...
Whatever works for you. And look out for that hot coffee. :)

·
Registered
502 Posts
Whatever works for you. And look out for that hot coffee. :)
Alright, but I know about the hot coffee.....The next person searching how to create an SD Clone doesn't...Is that fair to them?
I am just asking for clarity in the instructions...(I already know the "implication," so no trouble to me if it is wrong. ;) ).

·
Registered
34 Posts
Tonight I copied my navigation SD card to my hard disk and then back to new 32GB SD card using Eric's instructions. The new card works perfectly in my 2018 Lusso.

·
Premium Member
2,309 Posts
Alright, but I know about the hot coffee.....The next person searching how to create an SD Clone doesn't...Is that fair to them?
I am just asking for clarity in the instructions...(I already know the "implication," so no trouble to me if it is wrong. ;) ).
Bob, we're going to have to agree to disagree on this. I feel like this has deteriorited into some sort of virtue signalling conversation where we're more concerned about words than the actual process. And that makes me feel like a politician. lol

The first time I did this was for my own vehicle, back in 2017. In the four years of making duplicates of our OEM SD nav cards, you're the first person I know of to have a challenge with the terminology of cloning the card. I don't ever remember seeing comments on Ameridan's blog post on the topic where anyone said they didn't understand what was required. People have certainly asked for details on how to go about doing it, and I remember writing a very detailed reply going through the exact steps.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but my suspician is that it's because you've become fixated on the premise that to clone the card requires software. You don't. Once you release yourself from that connection, everything will fall into place. But ultimately, it's Ameridan's blog site, not mine, so if he feels the extra clarification is needed, I leave the decision to him.

Perhaps the simplest solution for all would be to just post the syntax for "duplicating" the OEM nav card. If we have a syntax example, then the discussion of what the appropriate terminology is becomes a moot point. No confusion. Just follow the instructions, and call it whatever you want. In fact, I'm thinking maybe two versions of instructions would be good.... one for an 8GB OEM to 8GB blank, and one for a 8/16GB OEM to a 16GB blank. Once the syntax and process is laid out, that should become another separate thread in the "how to and DIY" forum section. This thread has become ridiculously long and way off on a tangent from it's original purpose.

·
Premium Member
2,309 Posts
Here's what I'm proposing as text for the new thread in the "how to" section of the forum. I have zero experience with using the Toolbox and SD cards on Apple products, so this is purely a Windows related instruction. If someone who had completed and documented how to do thia on an Apple platform wishes to contribute their information, I cna incorporate it into the new thread post.

Ameridan, I'd like to add the link to your blog post on navigation as well, if that's okay with you. There's a lot more useful information there that I won't be covering in this "how to" post.

Everyone else, please feel free to advise of any errors or omissions you see in what I've written, and I'll incorporate needed changes in the final thread post. The instructions are probably overkill, but I'm trying not to leave anything out for those that may require more assistance.

Thanks all for assisting...

Cal.

The following is a step by step process that you can follow to create a functional backup copy of your OEM Navigation SD card that can be used in your vehicle, thus allowing you to put your original in a safe place. That way if anything ever happens to the the copy you have produced, you can easily create another replacement. These instructions are provided as is and at the discretion and risk of the reader to utilize if they choose to do so. The author of the instructions neither provides nor implies any warranty and accepts no liability for their use.

First, I'll give you the basic syntax for those of you that have more desktop experience. Then I'll follow that with detailed instructions for those that don't do this sort of thing very often.

Short version:

Lock your OEM SD card and insert it in your computer. Insert your new blank SD card in the computer. In Windows Explorer, confirm the drive letter assigned to each SD card. Format the blank SD card as FAT32, and leave the volume name blank (the OEM SD card doesn't have a name either). As a safety consideration, even if my blank SD shows up as already formatted to FAT32, I do it again, and I don't use the quick format option. That allows the card to be thoroughly tested and any potential bad sectors excluded. For the sake of this example, let's assume your OEM SD card mapped to Drive E: and your blank SD card mapped to Drive F. Open a CMD window and type the following (I'm using a red lower case s to denote where spaces need to be placed between the parameters):

XCOPYse:sf:s/Es/Vs/Gs/Hs/K

When the XCOPY process has completed, eject both cards and close your CMD and Windows Explorer windows. Remember to unlock the OEM SD card, and then tuck it away in safe place. You can then install the XCOPY you just created in your vehicle.

NB: If you can only access on SD card at a time, you can perform the XCOPY to your local hard drive, and do a second XCOPY to move the content from your hard drive to the new blank SD card.

Long Versions (two variations, one for those with two availableSD reading slots and a second for those with only one slot available):

Assumptions:
  • You have a VIN locked OEM navigation card for your vehicle
    • VIN locked means you have purchased and installed an OEM navigation SD card in your vehicle, and driven the car more than 60 miles / 100 km since you installed the card.
  • You have access to a Windows PC with has either an SD card reader slot, or a USB attached SD card reader device
    • Instructions will be provided on how to perform the process on a machine that has only one available SD reader slot, and for those with two available SD slots
  • You have purchased a blank Class 10 SD card in either 8GB or 16GB size
    • These are readily available through online resellers like Amazon, or places like WalMart, or pretty much any electronics shop that sells items like USB sticks
  • You know how to use Windows Explorer, and how to identify drive letters that your SD cards will be assigned when it is inserted in your computer for use
Process Option A: (two SD reading slots available):
  1. Remove the VIN locked SD Navigation card from your car
    1. If you're unsure how to do this, refer to your owner's manual
  2. Slide the tab on the side of the SD card to the "locked" position
    1. This will prevent you from accidentally overwriting or damaging the contents of your OEM navigation card
  3. Insert your newly purchased empty SD card into your computer
    1. If your computer has a built in SD card reader, just insert the empty SD card into that slot, or,
    2. If your computer doesn ot have a built in card reader, connect your USB card reader into one of your USB ports on your computer, and insert your blank SD card in that reader
  4. By now, a Windows Explorer window should have popped up, but if not, just open Windows Explorer
    1. Scroll down, and expand the item called "computer", and note the Drive letter that has been assigned to your OEM sd card and your empty SD card
    2. For the sake of this example, assume the OEM SD card was assigned to Drive E: and the empty SD card has been assigned to Drive F:
    3. Format the empty SD card to FAT32
      1. Right click on Drive F: (your empty SD card)
      2. Click on the "format" option
      3. In the requstor window that pops up, leave the volume name empty
      4. Make sure FAT32 is selected as the File System type
      5. DO NOT select fast format
      6. Accept the options and allow the card to be formatted
      7. Once complete, you can move to the next step
  5. Click on the "round Windows icon" on the very bottom left of your screen, and in the "start search" area, type CMD... you'll notice a command called CMD appear at the top of the results list. Left click on that command icon.
    1. A DOS Command (CMD) windows will now open on your screen... typically black with white lettering inside
    2. In that CMD window, type the following exactly as shown here (I'm using a red lower case s to denote where spaces need to be placed between the parameters... don't type an "s", hit the spacebar to insert a space in that location):

XCOPYse:sf:s/Es/Vs/Gs/Hs/K

When the XCOPY process has completed, you can close your CMD and Windows Explorer windows.

3. In the very bottom right of your computer screen (the system tray area, with all the small icons), you'll see one that shows USB attachments.
      1. Left click on that icon, and your USB/SD card will be listed.
      2. Click on each one to eject them
      3. The computer will pop up a message saying it's now safe to remove that drive (SD card)... do so
      4. Repeat for the second SD card
  6. Remember to unlock the OEM SD card, and then tuck it away in safe place. You can then install the XCOPY you just created in your vehicle.
  7. You're done!
Process Option B: (only one SD reading slot available, will use computer hard drive as transfer drive):
  1. Remove the VIN locked SD Navigation card from your car
    1. If you're unsure how to do this, refer to your owner's manual
  2. Slide the tab on the side of the SD card to the "locked" position
    1. This will prevent you from accidentally overwriting or damaging the contents of your OEM navigation card
  3. Insert your OEM nav SD card into your computer
    1. If your computer has a built in SD card reader, just insert the empty SD card into that slot, or,
    2. If your computer doesn't have a built in card reader, connect your USB card reader into one of your USB ports on your computer, and insert your blank SD card in that reader
  4. By now, a Windows Explorer window should have popped up, but if not, just open Windows Explorer
    1. Scroll down, and expand the item called "computer", and note the Drive letter that has been assigned to your OEM sd card
    2. For the sake of this example, assume the OEM SD card was assigned to Drive E:
  5. Create a folder on your C: drive called "OEMSDCARD". All one word, no spaces. It should show up as c:/OEMSDCARD
    1. This is where we will copy the content from your OEM card so we can later transfer it to your new, empty SD card
  6. Click on the "round Windows icon" on the very bottom left of your screen, and in the "start search" area, type CMD... you'll notice a command called CMD appear at the top of the results list. Left click on that command icon.
    1. A DOS Command (CMD) windows will now open on your screen... typically black with white lettering inside
    2. In that CMD window, type the following exactly as shown here, and then press your "enter" key to execute the command (I'm using a red lower case s to denote where spaces need to be placed between the parameters... don't type an "s", hit the spacebar to insert a space in that location):

XCOPYse:sc:\OEMSDCARD:s/Es/Vs/Gs/Hs/K

When the XCOPY process has completed, eject the OEM SD card and remember to unlock the tab on the side of it. Tuck it away in a safe place.
    3. Leave the CMD window open, as we'll use it again in a few moments
  7. In the very bottom right of your computer screen (the system tray area, with all the small icons), you'll see one that shows USB attachments.
    1. Left click on that icon, and your USB/SD OEM SD card will be listed.
    2. Click on it to eject them
    3. The computer will pop up a message saying it's now safe to remove that drive (SD card)... do so
  8. Now we'll prepare the empty SD card. Insert your new, empty SD card into your computer
    2. If your computer doesn't have a built in card reader, connect your USB card reader into one of your USB ports on your computer, and insert your blank SD card in that reader
  9. By now, a Windows Explorer window should have popped up, but if not, just open Windows Explorer
    1. Scroll down, and expand the item called "computer", and note the Drive letter that has been assigned to your empty SD card
    2. For the sake of this example, assume the empty SD card was assigned to Drive F:
    3. Format the empty SD card to FAT32
      1. Right click on Drive F: (your empty SD card)
      2. Click on the "format" option
      3. In the requstor window that pops up, leave the volume name empty
      4. Make sure FAT32 is selected as the File System type
      5. DO NOT select fast format
      6. Accept the options and allow the card to be formatted
      7. Once complete, you can move to the next step where we'll copy the content from your C:/OEMSDCARD folder to the freshly formatted emtpy SD card
    4. Go back to your CMD window that you left open from step 6.3 above
    5. In that CMD window, type the following exactly as shown here, and then press your "enter" key to execute the command (I'm using a red lower case s to denote where spaces need to be placed between the parameters... don't type an "s", hit the spacebar to insert a space in that location):

XCOPYsc:\OEMSDCARDsf:s/Es/Vs/Gs/Hs/K

When the XCOPY process has completed, eject the new SD card
    6. In the very bottom right of your computer screen (the system tray area, with all the small icons), you'll see one that shows USB attachments.
      1. Left click on that icon, and your new USB/SD card will be listed.
      2. Click on it to eject it
  10. You can now delete the folder c:\oemsdcard and all of it's contents. It is only needed as a temporary transfer location and now that your new SD nav card has been created, this temporary file storage is no longer required.
  11. Take the new card out to your vehicle and insert it for use
  12. You're done!

Reactions: Heimeyisdead
501 - 515 of 515 Posts