Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Automatic Abarth, here's whats happening...

Right after shifting into second gear (manual mode) RPMs will hover, fluctuate or drop for a few seconds until they begin to rise again. Seems to be happening around 18-20mph every time. Does this happen to anyone else' auto? I'm assuming it's the torque converter locking up but sometimes is very noticeable.

Help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Whoa! I have not seen mine do that.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Whoa! I have not seen mine do that.
Took my car to the dealership this morning and tech that drove with me said it was the way the car is tuned. I've driven plenty of automatics that have not done this, should I take it back into service?

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does it do it in any other gear or just 2nd?...Have you seen it occur at the same rpm in a different gear??
Just second gear, and it seems to happen around 18-20mph each time. Transmission seems to have a very faint, high-pitched whining noise as well (dealer said this was also normal).

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes I have the whining noise also...seems to be the nature of the beast...do you have the sport mode on or off when this happens??
Funny you mention that! In non-sport mode the RPM actually drops once second gear has engaged and I hit 18mph. In sport mode, the RPMs just sort of stall rather than dropping. Very frustrating.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One last question...if you push it or use more throttle does it still do it or does it change??
If I try to use more throttle it'll start to accelerate but you can tell that it's still hesitating.

·
Retired Moderator
676 Posts
I agree with John above...I have never seen that before with mine...I would not think the torque would be locking up in second gear...since it doesn't happen in other gears I wouldn't rule something in the ignition out completely but less likely...I am wondering if this is not the symptoms of a diverter valve not functioning properly and dropping boost out before it finally seals up good...I know the guys from EuroCompulsion have seen these valves go bad maybe they can jump in here...:confused:

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I agree with John above...I have never seen that before with mine...I would not think the torque would be locking up in second gear...since it doesn't happen in other gears I wouldn't rule something in the ignition out completely but less likely...I am wondering if this is not the symptoms of a diverter valve not functioning properly and dropping boost out before it finally seals up good...I know the guys from EuroCompulsion have seen these valves go bad maybe they can jump in here...:confused:
I have the GFB+ DV installed, however this issue has been happening prior to me installing.

Brief thought, would low transmission fluid cause symptoms like this? Sometimes when accelerating from a stop I can hear what sounds like liquid sloshing around - very odd.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
165 Posts
Yep, it'll be going back this week.
It sound to me like a glitch in transmission control unit, since it only happens in second, and shifts OK in Sport. It doesn't sound like a mechanical issue. Just guessing.

·
Registered
39 Posts
****, I thought the dealership was lying to me about this. I had to take my AT abarth in for a brake system warning light and while there I asked if they'd look at a slight stutter after 2nd gear. It took some complaining, but they did a drive test to reproduce it. I was told that was normal operation, but from that youtube video, it looks like your RPMs drop a bit more than what I see. I don't drive very hard, so it's not a bother to me, but it's a bit annoying not having a smooth rev cycle. Seems odd that this type of operation is normal, but I'll trust the techie guys that know way more than me about this stuff.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
****, I thought the dealership was lying to me about this. I had to take my AT abarth in for a brake system warning light and while there I asked if they'd look at a slight stutter after 2nd gear. It took some complaining, but they did a drive test to reproduce it. I was told that was normal operation, but from that youtube video, it looks like your RPMs drop a bit more than what I see. I don't drive very hard, so it's not a bother to me, but it's a bit annoying not having a smooth rev cycle. Seems odd that this type of operation is normal, but I'll trust the techie guys that know way more than me about this stuff.
It's definitely not normal in my opinion if other folks are not experiencing this issue. I too don't abuse the car, bit of fun everyone once and awhile. Interestingly enough, this morning on a cold start it didn't start to hesitate until the car was warmed up (after about 5 minutes). It's become much more noticeable since I first bought the car. Little anxious at this point, but probably just being paranoid.

Car otherwise runs great, no problems getting into gear (except the fact that the TCU won't let me shift into third until 3k lol).

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
It sound to me like a glitch in transmission control unit, since it only happens in second, and shifts OK in Sport. It doesn't sound like a mechanical issue. Just guessing.
I would hope so since it would only require a TCU reflash, it is VERY odd the fact that it's only in second gear - in either sport or non-sport mode. It almost sounds like fuel trims could be off too or perhaps low tranny fluid, but I'm no mechanic.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Funny you mention that! In non-sport mode the RPM actually drops once second gear has engaged and I hit 18mph. In sport mode, the RPMs just sort of stall rather than dropping. Very frustrating.
One aspect of sport mode as I understand it, is to delay shifts, ex: shifting at a higher rpm. So your symptom might be "normal". I would try to accelerate to at least 30 mph and not 18 mph, and see if you still have a problem.

·
Registered
958 Posts
After watching the video again, I am wondering if the transmission is shifting to a higher gear, but the gear position indicator is failing to register the change in gears. Just a thought relative to a very curious situation. (Yes, I realize it is in manual mode.)

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
I have an auto Lusso, I've tried to recreate the behavior and have been unable.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts