Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting an odd sound while driving, and my guess is that it's from the passenger rear. It's a rotating sound, like what you'd get as a kid when you attached playing cards to the spokes of your bicycle. The tone is similar to the metallic crack & pop you get when the car is hot and you shut the engine off. I can really hear it when driving past parked cars, as the sound seems to ricochet. Since the sound is rotating, I'm wondering if it is wheel or brake related. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Check for a nail in your tire, especially if it increases/decreases with speed. clack clack clack

·
Registered
2,359 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Very possible this is it. I noticed the same sound albeit not a "rotating" but like the TSB suggests a creaking noise. Taking my car to the dealership in a few weeks to have it sorted.

If it turns out that's not your issue, it could be a few things: differential, brakes/rotors or suspension. If you wouldn't mind posting a video we may be able to dig deeper for you.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Check for a nail in your tire, especially if it increases/decreases with speed. clack clack clack
Ok, I get today's dumb & dumber award. Following your suggestion I checked the tire treads. Turns out there was a large seed from a palm tree wedged in there, and I popped it out with my fingernail. This is a first, given that I've been driving in palm tree laden Southern California for 44 years. I did have a similar sound on my Corvette when the brakes & rotors were replaced. Whew, glad for a simple solution! Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Ok, I get today's dumb & dumber award. Following your suggestion I checked the tire treads. Turns out there was a large seed from a palm tree wedged in there, and I popped it out with my fingernail. This is a first, given that I've been driving in palm tree laden Southern California for 44 years. I did have a similar sound on my Corvette when the brakes & rotors were replaced. Whew, glad for a simple solution! Thanks everyone.
Ha. You know how I knew right? Same thing happened to me 1st week I had the car. Back right also

·
Registered
735 Posts
Haha, glad it was nothing serious! Darn palm trees...

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Better a palm seed than a nail. Faster corrective action.

Reactions: LongBeachJim

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wonder if that would have been covered under warranty!!!....Or if they could even have found it......
The palm date in the tire might have been too complex for some dealer mechanics. One time I took my new 350Z to the dealer because the passenger window wouldn't function. It took them half a day to figure out that I had accidentally pressed the child lock button.

Reactions: hefbadr and wolf18t
1 - 11 of 11 Posts