Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
If you can wait for a low mileage, no mods, car, you will find a good value option.

I ended up shipping thru reliable carriers...1575 enclosed carrier. 8 days from booking to delivery but this is prime shipping season. In winter, it will likely take a lot longer. I was lucky...there was a major car auction in the path from dealer to my home. A $1.3m 1957 ferrari was in the top berth when my car was unloaded...headed to airport to european buyer. Kind of extravagant to have done this and even the driver was kind of perplexed. He asked me if there was a reason I had to have THIS car 1200 miles away...lol. Then he told me that he transported tons of them when they first came out and then he stopped seeing them altogether.

I'm sure I could have gotten the same or better deal with a car closer to home eventually but then I would have missed this season of driving fun.

·
Registered
68 Posts
If you can wait for a low mileage, no mods, car, you will find a good value option.

I ended up shipping thru reliable carriers...1575 enclosed carrier. 8 days from booking to delivery but this is prime shipping season. In winter, it will likely take a lot longer. I was lucky...there was a major car auction in the path from dealer to my home. A $1.3m 1957 ferrari was in the top berth when my car was unloaded...headed to airport to european buyer. Kind of extravagant to have done this and even the driver was kind of perplexed. He asked me if there was a reason I had to have THIS car 1200 miles away...lol. Then he told me that he transported tons of them when they first came out and then he stopped seeing them altogether.

I'm sure I could have gotten the same or better deal with a car closer to home eventually but then I would have missed this season of driving fun.
The sports car market will be slow through March. I am going to wait for the right car. Either used or new. Your car was in good company with another Italian keeping her company on the way home! Have any pics of your car?

·
Registered
872 Posts
That sounds like a great deal. Did you find the dealer / car through one of the online car sites? Was it a Fiat dealer?

I know what you mean about the heritage stripe. I like it on certain colors. What I don't like is the cost. It's the most expensive option on the car. The heritage stripe works well with the red exterior. The red sport seats are very Italian! I'd consider passing on Recaros for those red seats now? They look great with the red exterior and black stripe. Really sharp. Nicely done!

There are not many Abarths in the Chicago area so I will have to travel. I might give the Costco car buying service a try after hearing about your deal? Maybe a hungry dealer will offer up a deal?

I was looking for new originally but Isabel2020 has me considering a mint used one now also?
Buying a used Spider is a crapshoot. Not many were sold originally, so there aren’t that many on the used market. You will have to be in the right place at the right time to find what you want.

Reactions: rexracerx9

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Buying a used Spider is a crapshoot. Not many were sold originally, so there aren’t that many on the used market. You will have to be in the right place at the right time to find what you want.
Re. Right place...a question on this is ‘are you willing to travel?’. Right now, traveling is a bit funky, but an associate of mine flew half way across the country and back and, apart from mask wearing, was easy. Very few people in airports - spooky. There are good flight deals. Obviously, you’d ( not ’you’ but @rexracerx9 ) be buying a car unseen.

Reactions: Aldo

·
Registered
68 Posts
Re. Right place...a question on this is ‘are you willing to travel?’. Right now, traveling is a bit funky, but an associate of mine flew half way across the country and back and, apart from mask wearing, was easy. Very few people in airports - spooky. There are good flight deals. Obviously, you’d ( not ’you’ but @rexracerx9 ) be buying a car unseen.
I am not new to traveling for a car. I would not buy a car unseen. I would have someone inspect it or go myself. I have flown in and driven back. I have also rented a car one-way. Just depends on where I need to go. Covid makes air travel a little more worrisome. Because of covid airefare is dirt cheap now. I am considering it. Depending on where it is, I'd probably fly in to inspect the car on a round trip ticket.

A friend has to travel/fly for work. He said it's never been easier to fly and travel. Like you said no crowds.

·
Registered
2019 124 Lusso
22 Posts
Bought my 2019 Lusso this June. MSRP $33,300. Paid $24,000 (plus the stupid dealer conveyance fee of $499).

Many good deals around on new leftovers.

Reactions: rexracerx9

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just purchased my 2017 Abarth yesterday. 5996 miles 2 owners each for about 1.5 years. Clean CFx... We shall see. Recaro seats, BS monitoring, standard lights, ASIN A-trans (don't judge, I'm partially disabled and can't drive a manual) .. 25600.00

·
Registered
10 Posts
The sports car market will be slow through March. I am going to wait for the right car. Either used or new. Your car was in good company with another Italian keeping her company on the way home! Have any pics of your car?

Attachments

·
Registered
68 Posts
The 1957 Ferrari
I don't know Ferraris well enough to identify the one in the pic for $1.3M. I do know other very desirable 1957 models like a 250 Testa Rossa have sold for $30M-$40M.

Very nice buy on your Abarth. The front plate is a nice touch. Congrats! Enjoy it while the weather is still nice!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks, front plate is hiding the holes from the original front plate. PA is a rear plate only state. There were 5 holes on the front plate once I removed the original plate holder....so far, the only negative surprise with the car.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Thanks, front plate is hiding the holes from the original front plate. PA is a rear plate only state. There were 5 holes on the front plate once I removed the original plate holder....so far, the only negative surprise with the car.
Covering the holes with the little plate is a elegant solution.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Bought my factory order 2019 fiat 124 spider abarth, fully loaded but with red/black seats and heritage stripe in September 2018 and took delivery of it in September 2019. Total cost incl. taxes was about $53 k canadian or about 50 bucks U.S..

·
Registered
44 Posts
I bought my 17 Abarth last December with Brembos and all options/packages other than Black Stripe & Recaros. It had 14k miles on it, paid $19.5 at a Nissan dealer. I think they really wanted to unload it before year end. I have put 6k more miles on it and its perfect. From what I read here I think I did OK.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Ah, I have that same issue, as I too am in PA and have 3 holes in the front bumper cover. Well done!

Sent from my H1A1000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Bought my factory order 2019 fiat 124 spider abarth, fully loaded but with red/black seats and heritage stripe in September 2018 and took delivery of it in September 2019. Total cost incl. taxes was about $53 k canadian or about 50 bucks U.S..
"Bought" suggests you paid in advance. Hopefully only a fraction upon ordering.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts