Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
124 Spider Vendor
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our Good-Win Racing Fiat 124 Project this past weekend at Kickoff 2020 season autocross. Won class, and fastest thing with doors! Beat all those BMW 'M' things, the Porsches, the Vettes, the S2000s, etc. All hail the mighty little 1.4 turbo! And big thanks to our OHLINS COILOVERS:

And we did it yet again on our famous Ohlins Coilovers. From Formula 1 to my street motorcycles Ohlins has been the choice of champions for decades. Our autocross lot here in San Diego was abandoned when the Chargers football team moved to Los Angeles and now is pretty bombed out with potholes deep and everywhere. Result with most stiffly sprung cars (and we are running beyond our Race spring package on the Ohlins in my car with 11kg front, 9kg rear) is a lot of my competitors cannot keep the tires on the pavement as their car skitters across the surface. Thanks to the DFV valving in the Ohlins (a high speed secondary pathway that opens when I drive over all those holes), my Fiat 124 just keeps laying power and cutting the turns smoothly. Out in the real world our standard Ohlins kit gives you the same smoothness despite handling that nothing else in the price range can touch.

For LOTS more details on the Ohlins Coilovers, click HERE.

Ride along on the winning run!

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Do you guys set the coilovers for your customers at the shop? Revisions too to find that perfect spot?

Congrats like always. Tiny car with a great driver will always win.

·
124 Spider Vendor
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you guys set the coilovers for your customers at the shop? Revisions too to find that perfect spot?

Congrats like always. Tiny car with a great driver will always win.
Not clear what you are asking but customers do have installs done for the Ohlins here, and if we are installing them then we are certainly setting the heights. If you are ordering coilovers sent to you there is no way to 'set them' in advance, what customers want for heights varies far too much for that, and the assembly requires the top mounts in your car.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Not clear what you are asking but customers do have installs done for the Ohlins here, and if we are installing them then we are certainly setting the heights. If you are ordering coilovers sent to you there is no way to 'set them' in advance, what customers want for heights varies far too much for that, and the assembly requires the top mounts in your car.
Yeah I just wanted to confirm that you did the setup / future configurations.

Thanks for confirming.

·
Registered
235 Posts
And we did it yet again on our famous Ohlins Coilovers.
Congrats, Brian. I got the Öhlins (with 7/4 kg spring rate f/r) from you the week before Xmas, had them installed and took them to a full day at the track. The 124 now handles so much better on street and track, to the point that it got compliments from professional racers (while at the track day).
Coming from stock shocks with Eibach springs, it's an eye-opener on how limiting the OEM shocks/springs are. Very happy with the product.

Cheers, S

·
124 Spider Vendor
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome, glad you like those and thanks for the feedback!

I first tried Ohlins in my motorcycles for track use two decades ago. After I bought my first Miata I called Ohlins about making kits for the Miata platform....and they laughed.

No joke, they didn't recognize the potential of this great platform and told me to call back after buying an BMW M3 or similar. But I kept at it, bugged and bugged them...until they finally did it. Now they still sell Ohlins for all the fancy European cars including Italian exotics like Pagani but they sell more kits for the Miata platform (which includes Fiat 124) than for any other platform, etc. It's fun to be proven right!

Ohlins in Pagoni Zonda R below:

·
Registered
2,936 Posts

·
124 Spider Vendor
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fun with our project cars, team member Andrea Mathers driving the turns in our Good-Win Racing Project Fiat 124 today before the clouds arrived promising more rain. Ohlins coilovers and lots of other goodies in this build, it sticks the turns! Down to last two kits in stock before we are out for a while, so if looking for install project while 'social isolating' at home, now is the time to order. With all our race and sporting events cancelled, at least we can still have fun driving!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Brian,

I would like to know what is your opinion on 60/40 (n/mm) spring rates F/R for the ohlins DFV? I live in Greece where the roads are not just bad, but HORRIBLE with potholes and random patches and bumps appearing out of nowhere, which means my spirited road driving is ultra bumpy.

I'd like to get the Ohlins, but the spring rates are 2 times + higher than the stocks on my Lusso, and would like the softest setting possible. I noticed the stock spring rate balance is 162/97 F/R (lbs) which makes for a ratio/balance of around 1.67. Ohlins with 60/40 on swift springs would make for 1.5. Question is, how do you think the handling balance of the car would be affected? Ohlins recommends 100/40 a bit on the extreme side and definitely way off balance compared to stock. I understand theory very well but have never actually played with spring rates so in practice have no idea also it is car specific simply too hard to tell without experience.

For the record, I quite enjoy the car as it is -it handles exceptionally on our slippery bumpy roads on stock 17" with potenza s001 where no sticky tire can really stick- but would like the experience and advanced characteristics of the ohlins DFV dampers - everyone who has tried them says on mx-5s say it is day and night. I am not really planning on track driving.

One more thing slightly off topic since you are the brake expert - the car has the wilwood 6 pot bbk 12.88% and braking is insanely better than stock - do you really think there is much point in upgrading the stock rear brakes in terms of braking performance (i.e. shorter stopping distance) - quite unlikely to have thermal issues here and I do not track the car, maybe 5-10 minute uphill bursts where my current setup has never complained.

Much appreciated
All the best, T

·
124 Spider Vendor
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
For really bad roads I like the idea of 6kg front/4kg rear. I would not want any softer than 4kg rear, but doing front slightly softer would help absorb impacts. Also 16 inch wheels would make a really BIG difference. On our projects that have really stiff springs for track and autocross with 17x9 wheels we often daily drive just 16 inch to soften it up. For example, right now my Fiat 124 has 12kg front and 9kg rear springs, and 16x8 wheels to soften that for daily driving.

Brian

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
For really bad roads I like the idea of 6kg front/4kg rear. I would not want any softer than 4kg rear, but doing front slightly softer would help absorb impacts. Also 16 inch wheels would make a really BIG difference. On our projects that have really stiff springs for track and autocross with 17x9 wheels we often daily drive just 16 inch to soften it up. For example, right now my Fiat 124 has 12kg front and 9kg rear springs, and 16x8 wheels to soften that for daily driving.

Brian
Quick question Brian, is 225/45/17 really that much worse than 235/40/17 with 17x8 40 wheels? Or is the performance difference negligible? (Both sizes with 200 TW tires)

My car is lowered with HR springs to use my stock Bilsteins but might consider your Ohlins when one gets damaged. Use case: Canyon carving/daily on decent roads/Autocross.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts

Brian
Hi Brian,

Thanks - I figured the handling characteristics would not be severely affected. 16" is super comfy but you need to part with stock wheels and look. At tyre change time, upgrading from 205/45/17 to 215/45/17 will get me a tiny bit of extra rubber for cushioning along with a tiny bit of extra traction.

What diameter of springs do you use for swift springs Ohlins DFV replacement? The stock ohlins come with (unknown brand) 65mm 200mm long springs - so the direct match would be the 8 inch swift springs at 65 dia.

Many thanks,
T

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yep, search 'swift' on our site and you will find we have lots of options in 65mm diameter Swift.
Brian,

I have one last technical question where I could be helped by your experience.

One thing I was worried about is will the 6kg/mm front spring rate make a difference for the setup of the front shock? I am a noob in setting up coilovers people say things like the shock will need revalving etc etc.

To be honest there are many parameters to adjust on that shock and only with experience you will know what is good and what is not. If I just get the shocks and the springs leave everything at default and apply the minimu preload of 5mm and remaining recommended settings will it be ok since ohlins 'recommends' the 100 N/mm spring at the front? Do I need to dial up rebound? By the way I do not want to lower the car, if possible not at all. Our roads are not for low cars unfortunately.

In short, is there a setting you would recommend for the bumpy road on that car, with the aim of being as comfy as possible, not lowered and with a balance close to stock?

I am pretty sure many people would be interested in this.

Much appreciated

·
124 Spider Vendor
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You will likely find you want the damping set slightly softer up front for that 6kg. My choice would be keep the 7kg/4kg and run 16 inch tire/rubber to handle the busted up streets. I do essentially same thing on our cars here. Our Fiat 124 currently has something like 12kg front and 9kg rear...so really MUCH stiffer springs than normal kit and we do those springs for track weekends but soften the daily ride by usually having just 16 inch wheels/tires on the car for daily driving.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts