Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
124 Spider Vendor
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our Good-Win Racing Fiat 124 Project this past weekend at Kickoff 2020 season autocross. Won class, and fastest thing with doors! Beat all those BMW 'M' things, the Porsches, the Vettes, the S2000s, etc. All hail the mighty little 1.4 turbo! And big thanks to our OHLINS COILOVERS:

And we did it yet again on our famous Ohlins Coilovers. From Formula 1 to my street motorcycles Ohlins has been the choice of champions for decades. Our autocross lot here in San Diego was abandoned when the Chargers football team moved to Los Angeles and now is pretty bombed out with potholes deep and everywhere. Result with most stiffly sprung cars (and we are running beyond our Race spring package on the Ohlins in my car with 11kg front, 9kg rear) is a lot of my competitors cannot keep the tires on the pavement as their car skitters across the surface. Thanks to the DFV valving in the Ohlins (a high speed secondary pathway that opens when I drive over all those holes), my Fiat 124 just keeps laying power and cutting the turns smoothly. Out in the real world our standard Ohlins kit gives you the same smoothness despite handling that nothing else in the price range can touch.

For LOTS more details on the Ohlins Coilovers, click HERE.

Ride along on the winning run!

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Do you guys set the coilovers for your customers at the shop? Revisions too to find that perfect spot?

Congrats like always. Tiny car with a great driver will always win.

·
124 Spider Vendor
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you guys set the coilovers for your customers at the shop? Revisions too to find that perfect spot?

Congrats like always. Tiny car with a great driver will always win.
Not clear what you are asking but customers do have installs done for the Ohlins here, and if we are installing them then we are certainly setting the heights. If you are ordering coilovers sent to you there is no way to 'set them' in advance, what customers want for heights varies far too much for that, and the assembly requires the top mounts in your car.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Not clear what you are asking but customers do have installs done for the Ohlins here, and if we are installing them then we are certainly setting the heights. If you are ordering coilovers sent to you there is no way to 'set them' in advance, what customers want for heights varies far too much for that, and the assembly requires the top mounts in your car.
Yeah I just wanted to confirm that you did the setup / future configurations.

Thanks for confirming.

·
Registered
183 Posts
And we did it yet again on our famous Ohlins Coilovers.
Congrats, Brian. I got the Öhlins (with 7/4 kg spring rate f/r) from you the week before Xmas, had them installed and took them to a full day at the track. The 124 now handles so much better on street and track, to the point that it got compliments from professional racers (while at the track day).
Coming from stock shocks with Eibach springs, it's an eye-opener on how limiting the OEM shocks/springs are. Very happy with the product.

Cheers, S

·
124 Spider Vendor
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome, glad you like those and thanks for the feedback!

I first tried Ohlins in my motorcycles for track use two decades ago. After I bought my first Miata I called Ohlins about making kits for the Miata platform....and they laughed.

No joke, they didn't recognize the potential of this great platform and told me to call back after buying an BMW M3 or similar. But I kept at it, bugged and bugged them...until they finally did it. Now they still sell Ohlins for all the fancy European cars including Italian exotics like Pagani but they sell more kits for the Miata platform (which includes Fiat 124) than for any other platform, etc. It's fun to be proven right!

Ohlins in Pagoni Zonda R below:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts