Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
124 Spider Vendor
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Back from a weekend of fun with our ND and Fiat...both on OHLINS Coilovers. Our street Ohlins setup has rates of 7/4, with option to go more for Racers (CLICK HERE for details). We currently have 'only' 9/5 in our ND and that was 'good enough' for Top Time of Day this past weekend...in field of about 100 competitors. For customers in Europe, where Ohlins specs 10/4 rates you can always put softer coilover springs in the setup valved for 10k, it will work great and springs are relatively nothing in cost compared with the coilovers.

Great pic below from event this past Saturday with fastest cars of the event, our two toys on Ohlins, and two more from 949 Racing on Xidas....and all four on 6UL wheels! I really liked the Xidas setup in the 949 cars too, it is another great setup. I went around in their Orange ND a few times. They currently run spring rates of 600 front/400 rear in their ND and turn-in was predictably faster/sharper responding than our softer setup of 9/5 (which is 504/280). But our surface here is old and breaking up badly and their setup felt just a hair stiff for our bad pavement conditions, on a smooth track I would expect their stiffer car to beat us but our ND ended up with Top Time of Day on the rough pavement. Both setups were so fast that it came down to luck and choice of driver, these four cars were well ahead of most of the field.

·
124 Spider Vendor
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Found our notes, with the springs in the standard kit it is almost a push because though the aluminum shocks are much lighter, the much higher rate springs are not.

Thus, bottom line difference was not much, only about a pound saved per corner.

·
124 Spider Vendor
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
January Price increase was small.....now Ohlins tells us the ND/Fiat 124 kits go up $300 as of March 15th.

Standard equipment on exotics, the choice of top Racers for decades, nothing else can match the dual flow valving advantage for amazing comfort on the street combined with fast track/autocross performance.
ND Ohlins
Fiat 124 kit

·
124 Spider Vendor
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Glad you like those! I took a local Fiat dealer salesman for a ride here in our Fiat 124 with the Ohlins and when the ride was done he bought everything, including the Ohlins, for his personal Abarth 124.

I am sorry I have not been ringing the bell for weeks on this, our MAP on this goes up the 15th and Ohlins is very strict about it....so these are the last days before $300 increase in the best coilovers a Fiat 124 owner can buy. Ohlins is factory standard equipment on hypercars from Pagani, Koenigsegg, etc. Ohlins has been the choice of champions for decades, they never sponsor because the best don't need to, so even Champs like Juan Montoya had to buy his sets.

A little back history. I loved Ohlins from my days racing motorcycles. When I bought my first Miata I called Ohlins asking them to make an Ohlins setup for Miata, got a lot of laughs in reply. I explained that we had MANY Miata race customers who were retired Pro Racers, guys who already understood Ohlins and would put them on a Miata if the application was available. From the days the Miata first came to market and became an instant weekend racer top pick, guys have retired to the Miata from Nascar, MotoGP, Indy Lights, Formula Atlantic, IMSA, and on and on. Old Racers never die...they just buy a Miata and keep having fun on the weekends at SCCA and NASA events! I finally convinced Ohlins to give it a shot, that was many years ago and now they love the Miata plaform and take this application very seriously. And now the Miata platform lives under the Fiat 124 too. Anybody local to our San Diego location wanting a fast yet smooth ride call me and jump in the seat of our Fiat 124 with Ohlins! Got a few local freeway 'test' ramps we can do at three times the posted 'suggested' speed that will impress you!

One of the few setups that really can go from street to track and home again, dual flow valving that opens for high speed jolts and this advantage does NOT exist on any of the other choices anywhere near this price range. Everything else is less sophisticated single valving which means serious bumps go straight to your backside.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Glad you like those! I took a local Fiat dealer salesman for a ride here in our Fiat 124 with the Ohlins and when the ride was done he bought everything, including the Ohlins, for his personal Abarth 124.

I am sorry I have not been ringing the bell for weeks on this, our MAP on this goes up the 15th and Ohlins is very strict about it....so these are the last days before $300 increase in the best coilovers a Fiat 124 owner can buy. Ohlins is factory standard equipment on hypercars from Pagani, Koenigsegg, etc. Ohlins has been the choice of champions for decades, they never sponsor because the best don't need to, so even Champs like Juan Montoya had to buy his sets.

A little back history. I loved Ohlins from my days racing motorcycles. When I bought my first Miata I called Ohlins asking them to make an Ohlins setup for Miata, got a lot of laughs in reply. I explained that we had MANY Miata race customers who were retired Pro Racers, guys who already understood Ohlins and would put them on a Miata if the application was available. From the days the Miata first came to market and became an instant weekend racer top pick, guys have retired to the Miata from Nascar, MotoGP, Indy Lights, Formula Atlantic, IMSA, and on and on. Old Racers never die...they just buy a Miata and keep having fun on the weekends at SCCA and NASA events! I finally convinced Ohlins to give it a shot, that was many years ago and now they love the Miata plaform and take this application very seriously. And now the Miata platform lives under the Fiat 124 too. Anybody local to our San Diego location wanting a fast yet smooth ride call me and jump in the seat of our Fiat 124 with Ohlins! Got a few local freeway 'test' ramps we can do at three times the posted 'suggested' speed that will impress you!

One of the few setups that really can go from street to track and home again, dual flow valving that opens for high speed jolts and this advantage does NOT exist on any of the other choices anywhere near this price range. Everything else is less sophisticated single valving which means serious bumps go straight to your backside.

How much were they a few months ago? I think they're a steal at $2,100, but it sounds like they've gone up in price unless I read your post wrong.

Not quite ready to do suspension, the car handles pretty darn good stock, IMO it needs a monster front bar and better tires more than coilovers. That said, that seems stupid cheap for Ohlins and I may be ordering some next year in winter when hopefully they're on sale again ;).

In your experience, do you feel the "street" versions are better for autocross than track? I know a lot of our local venues in WNY are semi-rough parking lots, so sometimes being a touch on the soft side is actually better. I know a lot of the guys running C7 corvettes couldn't run track mode because the magride was too stiff to handle the bumps, I almost wonder if the track setup would feel the same in our rough lots. Not to mention, the daily driveability wouldn't be as nice on the heavier springs. That said, Ohlins are valved so well, they'll probably ride comfortably. I know going from Skunk2 on my old Integra to a legit Koni Yellow setup made the car feel so much smoother even though we went up in spring rate. The damper was just that much higher quality.

Anyway, it's a bit too soon for me to want to do coilovers on my car, but this is a smoking deal, anyone looking at the cheaper coils for $1600-$1800, just get Ohlins. They're almost certainly going to be way better on track, as comfortable or more comfortable on the street (less harsh/bouncy), and if/when you sell them, you'll recoup more money since they're quality parts. Hope this bump helps you guys out...

·
124 Spider Vendor
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Our Fiat 124 has our 'street' combo of 7kg/4kg.....in part because our local streets are so bad here and our local race venues are pretty chewed up too. Read the Grassroots MotorSports shootout article that included our Fiat 124 and ND Miata on the Ohlins....and see their comments on how we avoided 'all the spring rate' and our cars just stuck. That article on our Media Page here.

The point of DFV is you have an advantage over everyone on rough lots because that secondary valving opens for high speed jolts. That means ride stays good, tires stay in contact with the ground. For me on track days it is also added safety. Late in the day we all get tired, perhaps grab a little too much curb. Do a little too much curb at Laguna with standard shocks and that means you might hit the extra tall red curbs that can seriously bounce a car at the limit far off the line, it goes wide into the dirt, and maybe the wall. On the Ohlins, the secondary valving opens in an instant and car keeps the line, it has saved by butt. And yet around town totally comfortable, rides at least as good as my neighbor's new 5 series BMW.

As for waiting on anything until next winter....my bet is you pay more on everything at that time. Inflation has started Guys, already baked in the pie on the manufacturing side, you guys as consumers may not see much of it yet... but we got notices of price increases from more than 50% of the manufacturers we work with already. Trump's new trade war noise has accelerated that result and the price increase notices are arriving daily here for the last 10 days!! Thus, wait to next Winter on whatever is next...but I can guarantee these and just about everything will be MORE at that time than today. Wheels, mufflers, coilovers, all of it going up in price. Magnaflow just gave us the price increase with effective date June 1st, Edelbrock just gave us theirs last week, Ohlins is effective the 15th, on and on it goes down the list...EVERYTHING going up significantly this year! The Ohlins are $2199 today....and going to $2495 later this week. So, that's essentially $300 extra.

·
124 Spider Vendor
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
LAST sets of kits for ND Miata/Fiat 124 that Ohlins had in the USA just arrived at Good-Win Racing!

Some of the kits in the picture are NC kits, get FREE SHIPPING while they last....expect NATIONWIDE backorder status on Ohlins SOON.

ND Ohlins
Fiat 124 Ohlins
NC Ohlins

·
124 Spider Vendor
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Now some details on the DFV Advantage, which allows the Ohlins to go from street to autocross and track like no other setup!

ND/Fiat124 Click HERE.

The DFV Technology Advantage. So what is DFV? It is Dual Flow Valve technology and it sets Ohlins apart from competitors. Only Ohlins has DFV technology on its road and track products. With DFV, the dual flow valve gives the same characteristics on rebound as it does on compression, thanks the damper fluid having a consistent path of flow in both directions. This means that the wheel and tire can quickly and effectively resume their important position back on the ground, providing grip and traction. The new Ohlins Road and Track range uses DFV technology on every single fitment, making it the perfect upgrade for the enthusiast that needs comfort and agility in the one unit.

Figure 1: (Compression flow) At low shaft speeds, oil flows mostly through the shaft jet bleed (lower dotted arrow). At higher shaft speeds, oil flows mostly through the compression ports in the piston (upper dotted arrow). At very high shaft speeds, or during sudden shaft accelerations, oil can also escape through the compression ports in the DFV, increasing comfort. Figure 2: (Rebound flow) At low shaft speeds, oil flows mostly through the shaft jet bleed (lower dotted arrow). At higher shaft speeds, oil flows mostly through the rebound ports in the piston (upper dotted arrow). At very high shaft speeds, or during sudden shaft accelerations, oil can also escape through the rebound ports in the DFV, maintaining tire contact with the road. Because DFV opens more quickly and easily on minor road imperfections, ride comfort is surprisingly supple and more akin to an OEM shocks than a coilover set-up. Over undulating surfaces, the compliance of the Road and Track units allows your Miata to crest bumps and potholes, whilst still keep stable and in control. Traction is always maintained at its optimum level. When comparing suspension, why settle for second best?

Figure 3: (Vehicle no DFV) Without DFV the oil can not flow through the piston quickly enough on the rebound stroke after hitting a bump, so the tire is not able to stay in contact with the road.

Figure 4: (Vehicle DFV technique) The DFV valve opens, letting the oil flow quicker through the piston on the rebound stroke after hitting a bump, enabling the tire to stay in contact with the road. When adjusting ride height on coilover units, it is worth comparing how it is done. On many inferior designs, height is adjusted by raising or lowering the lower spring platform. This has the effect of compressing or extending the spring, which can limit the suspension travel that may cause topping out. The Ohlins method is to leave the spring seat in its perfect position, while the lower flange spins easily on the threaded body, to allow you to adjust with absolute precision whilst maintaining the perfect characteristics that we took so long to design in! Once you have set it all up, the adjuster simply locks off to maintain your exact settings.

Dampers will get hot. That is one thing that you can be sure of. As the piston moves within the damper, it generates friction and therefore, heat. Although we cannot stop heat, we can deal with it, and this is yet another way that Ohlins differs from the competition. As the heat increases, the viscosity of the damper fluid can change, altering the car handling characteristics. With Ohlins a unique needle bleed valve expands with temperature, closing the gap that the fluid travels through, maintaining a consistent damping rate. What you feel is that the car responds consistently, lap after lap, turn after turn. Allowing you to concentrate on braking points and apexes whilst the Ohlins technology takes care of the damping.

Figure 5: Thermal Expansion Design Advantages.

These kits amazing out of the box, but there is still plenty of adjustment for you to set things your way. You like stiff and reactive? Or soft and forgiving? It is all there. Too much low speed rebound damping can have an adverse effect on grip, so the easily accessible adjuster at the top of the Ohlins units allows small, but positive increments of fine tuning, so you can take into account every single parameter. Sounds complicated? It is actually very easy to adjust a few clicks either way to find the settings that work for you.

Since 2010 super light-weight design with a majority of the parts in aluminum and on top of that all shocks have proven through extensive corrosion tests according to ISO 9227.

·
124 Spider Vendor
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
ND/Fiat Owners Get FREE UPGRADE to Swift Springs for a Limited Time!

Swift Springs are lighter for a given rate, have more linear travel, with more consistent rate. The industry premium choice for light weight metric springs!

Ohlins ND Coilovers with Swift Springs CLICK HERE.

Ohlins Fiat 124 Coilovers with Swift Springs CLICK HERE.

The Choice of the Fast Fiat 124s Everywhere...including ours.

·
124 Spider Vendor
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Race choice already had the Swift upgrade, what's new is that even the standard kit is currently shipping with the upgrade to Swift Springs. That is while supply lasts, sold several kits this week, got 6 ND kits remaining here today, so my working assumption today is this deal will end this month because we will sell out by June 1st.

Here is Swift's website blurb:

Metric Coilover Springs
More stroke, increased traction and handling, Less Un-sprung weight. The only thing you will be losing is lap time.

Swift's innovative designs have made us a staple in the performance tuning world. Our products are the result of over 90 years of experience in industrial spring manufacturing. Our engineers have spent countless hours developing and re-developing our springs, in order to create a product that is light, durable, and compliant, while still maintaining linear spring rates.

Many enthusiasts will swap springs from brand to brand with the only noticeable difference being a stiffer or softer ride. But what if a spring could offer a noticeable increase in traction, smoother weight transfer, better ride quality, lower tire temperatures, and a more predictable feel? The engineers at Swift have taken that "what if" and turned it into reality.

All Swift Springs are manufactured using( H5S.TW.) which is far superior to silicone chrome steel and allows us to wind our springs with less coils, resulting in reduced un-sprung weight and increased stroke.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts