Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I know quite a few of you guys have installed Oil Catch Cans on you 124's from various manufacturers and vendors.

Now that they have been on and running awhile, can you guys give me an estimate of how much oil they Are really collecting??

One ounce, three ounces , and how many miles between dumping it out?

Since this is a secondary catch can that is installed after the Factory can, is there really that much escaping the original Factory Can??

I know any amount of oil getting on the turbo will make a big mess, not to mention the decrease efficiency on the intercooler , so I'm considering pulling the trigger on this modification for my car.

All responses appreciated...Not Sure.;)

·
Administrator
1,925 Posts
I have one ready to be installed, but there are a few observations I'd like to make.

- It seems that more oil is consumed on the first oil change. I've noticed people reporting that on subsequent oil changes, consumption reduces, although there hasn't been a formal measurement on volume. I don't know if this is actually happening to everyone or if it's just anecdotal.
- Everyone seems to find some oil in their intakes, which is less than ideal. After cleaning those intakes and installing the catch can, the problem is completely mitigated.
- Actual oil volume collected is going to vary based on driving conditions, warm-up times, and environment. It is important to note that the accumulation in a catch can may not be exclusively oil and often includes fuel and water.
- According to EC, there isn't a concern with overfilling the catch can, as it doesn't accumulate enough to require frequent drainings. It is my impression that the catch can only needs to be serviced during oil changes.

I'd definitely recommend it.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
I have around 1K km on the can, and not a drop, more city driving, but weather have been around 23c.

Still waiting for the summer, we get the odd 30c. Oil level is full on the stick.

I rather catch it in the can and have it in the turbo.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
No oil in my catch can. However, the hose from the OEM separator to the can in wet with oil. I think that the oil is condensing out before reaching the can, and draining back to the separator, which is fine by me. I had tons of oil in my intake tube and turbo inlet before installing the can, and none now after installing the can.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Glad to hear that it really does work to get rid of the oil in the intake tube as that's really the main thing. Regardless if it's getting oil in the can or line or whatever... once it's out of the intake tube all is well!

·
Vendor
3,099 Posts
No oil in my catch can. However, the hose from the OEM separator to the can in wet with oil. I think that the oil is condensing out before reaching the can, and draining back to the separator, which is fine by me. I had tons of oil in my intake tube and turbo inlet before installing the can, and none now after installing the can.
That is exactly right. The measure of success here is in the amount of oil getting into, or not getting into the intake. It's not the amount of oil in the can itself.

Greg

·
Registered
958 Posts
I had an issue with oil getting into the intake, installed a catch can and solved the problem. When my dealer changed/overfilled the oil, I got a lot of oil in the catch can. Since getting the level down to full, I have not had much in the can, and none in the intake. I recommend a catch can. Specifically, the can needs to have 3/4 inch inlet and outlet to match closely to the factory hoses. I recommend against the 3/8 inch inlet/outlet cans. If you shop around, you can find a really good price on the type of can sold by EuroCumpulsion, but it may not be worth the time and effort. Their package fits your car and is the highest quality. If you want to do it yourself, Gates 3/4 inch fuel hoses can be purchased by the foot, but they are not likely in stock at your local parts store. You will also need to build your own bracket and step-down the hose on the inlet side to fit the 17 mm fitting on the stock oil separator.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
The Eurocompulsion kit is very nice, I highly recommend it.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the info... Looking around...I will probably go

I had an issue with oil getting into the intake, installed a catch can and solved the problem. When my dealer changed/overfilled the oil, I got a lot of oil in the catch can. Since getting the level down to full, I have not had much in the can, and none in the intake. I recommend a catch can. Specifically, the can needs to have 3/4 inch inlet and outlet to match closely to the factory hoses. I recommend against the 3/8 inch inlet/outlet cans. If you shop around, you can find a really good price on the type of can sold by EuroCumpulsion, but it may not be worth the time and effort. Their package fits your car and is the highest quality. If you want to do it yourself, Gates 3/4 inch fuel hoses can be purchased by the foot, but they are not likely in stock at your local parts store. You will also need to build your own bracket and step-down the hose on the inlet side to fit the 17 mm fitting on the stock oil separator.
with the ProVent 150 or 200...even though that might be overkill, I like the double pressure relief valves and drain valve with hose to bottom of the car for easy draining..

https://www.mann-hummel.com/fileadmin/user_upload/service/catalogues/pdf/ProVent_en_2013.pdf

And I probably get the hose...
http://www.fillernecksupply.com/3-4-true-blue-urea-def-diesel-exhaust-fluid-hose-pe60075/

I'll make my own brackets and will probably mount it up front somewhere behind the radiator so as to shorten the hose route...

Not Sure.;)

·
Registered
958 Posts
with the ProVent 150 or 200...even though that might be overkill, I like the double pressure relief valves and drain valve with hose to bottom of the car for easy draining..

https://www.mann-hummel.com/fileadmin/user_upload/service/catalogues/pdf/ProVent_en_2013.pdf

And I probably get the hose...
http://www.fillernecksupply.com/3-4-true-blue-urea-def-diesel-exhaust-fluid-hose-pe60075/

I'll make my own brackets and will probably mount it up front somewhere behind the radiator so as to shorten the hose route...

Not Sure.;)
The ProVents really are over kill. Here is the one I have, which is the same as the EC one, but at a much lower price than I paid. It has the proper sized inlet and outlet and is top quality.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/High-Performance-Black-Aluminum-Alloy-Reservior-Oil-Catch-Can-Tank-for-BMW-N54-335/32781637396.html?src=google&albch=shopping&acnt=494-037-6276&isdl=y&aff_short_key=UneMJZVf&albcp=829384684&albag=48097131728&slnk=&trgt=313354690488&plac=&crea=en32781637396&netw=s&device=c&mtctp=&gclid=CjwKEAjwsqjKBRDtwOSjs6GTgmASJACRbI3f2eLl-TWq5mgcHU6Hb0CQ-3nslPc3MXcnmFpR3HHEhhoCdynw_wcB

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Whoa..really nice and nice price..but

J..can you tell me what medium is used in the can to catch the oil. Is there a screen, or something else??

Thanks. Not Sure

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
J..can you tell me what medium is used in the can to catch the oil. Is there a screen, or something else??

Thanks. Not Sure
This is what the head looks like internally. The side with the small machined holes is the inlet. There is no filter media. The can is more than adequate for this application, as it has completely stopped oil from getting into my intake tube.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I checked my EC catch can today. It's been installed for probably just over 1000 miles. To say there was a light oily film inside the can would be generous. Let's call it next to nothing was in the can. I never had much oil getting to the turbo inlet to begin with. I found the equivalent of maybe a couple drops at the turbo inlet on two occasions- installing my EC V1 intake, and removing the V1 intake to change my oil filter. Never found any running back into the intake tube from the turbo connection. Now I'll have no oil making it to the turbo.

Steve.

·
Registered
669 Posts
My results are close to Steve's results. A very light film on the inside of the can, nothing measurable. About 1000 miles with it. Have not noticed oil in the intake. Only 1700 miles on the car so some break in miles in there and no track time. Rarely get the opportunity to push it hard. I doubt it makes a difference, but mine is installed up front above the V4 intake.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey BullDog...

My results are close to Steve's results. A very light film on the inside of the can, nothing measurable. About 1000 miles with it. Have not noticed oil in the intake. Only 1700 miles on the car so some break in miles in there and no track time. Rarely get the opportunity to push it hard. I doubt it makes a difference, but mine is installed up front above the V4 intake.
installed in front of the V4!!! If you could, please shoot us a couple pics, cell phone quality or whatever... I'm very interested in your setup.

I think i saw JFernald set up and I think he has his in front also.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
you have 3 places to play, but for sure this is no-1 place. for every spider

see pic
then near the firewall, pending the car you have

and if you have a V4 , some have have it installed there.

Attachments

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Frank...did you make

you have 3 places to play, but for sure this is no-1 place. for every spider

see pic
then near the firewall, pending the car you have

and if you have a V4 , some have have it installed there.
That bracket?? Doesn't look like the one that comes with the kit, which look like it would attach to the back firewall

What did you use and where did you buy the material.?? Home Depot or Lowes??

Thanks

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Not sure,

Down the message list a few threads, see the thread titled EuroCompulsion Catch Can. In particular, my message deep down the list, dated 5-31-17 at 9:11. I've got directions, descriptions, and detailed photos.

Having the can on the fender is a requirement for manual transmission cars due to a hydraulic line at the firewall mount location. Automatics get hung on the firewall, no hyd. line to interfere. New purchasers from EC now have a check box to click manual or auto tranny, and the proper mounting bracket will be shipped to you.

This link should get you down that thread page near my message.

http://www.124spider.org/forum/10-engine-technical-discussion/11009-eurocompulsion-catch-can-5.html

Steve.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Quick catch can question actually and hopefully someone can help me out on this. What's the point of the breather on some catch cans with the little air filter on top of it? What's the benefit from that other than looking super cool?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts