Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it's a too early, but having a discussion with this guy, where he suggest to have an oil change just before winterizing instead waiting for spring.

I thought the contraty doing it in Spring. what are your thoughts on this. tia

·
Registered
707 Posts
I typically like to change my oil every 6mo or every 5,000 miles - for me that usually ends up being every July/December.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Being in a winter climate meaning no convertibles or motorcycles from around mid-November to around April 1, I drain the engines of their oil and replace with fresh oil and filter. I'll then put gas treatment in the tank (Seafoam works well for me) and drive it over to the gas station and top the tank as full as I can get it. Then stash it for the winter.

Used oil can be a bit acidic (I've read/heard), and if sitting for months can lead to corrosion. In my protocol, the bad oil is gone, and fresh, clean oil has been distributed onto all the parts. In the spring, I start 'em and go.

I also do not run the engine periodically over the winter. (Let Battery Tenders keep the battery charged.) Doing so can lead to an accumulation of condensation inside everything. The last thing I want in the engine and oil, exhaust system, etc., is water that will sit in there for extended periods. I've experienced mufflers full of exhaust ice. But, the owner's manual states to start the car and run the air conditioner during periods of long storage... not me, not in the dead of winter. There was a thread containing this recently, where is it...?

I just changed my oil this past weekend, and at the rate I'm driving I'll be due for an oil change around shutdown time, anyway.

Steve.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts