Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a new 2018 Abarth with less than 100 miles. It’s been sitting on the dealer lot for at least a year so I’m am trying to decide if I should just go ahead and change the oil now with Pennzoil Platinum Euro SAE 5W-40 or wait a few thousand miles like a normally would.

Anyone have any thoughts/advice?

Thanks!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Mine sat on the lot for 9 months, I put 1500 miles on it, and then changed the oil. The Tech understood why I did it, and really didn't have thoughts either way, he said he has read up a lot on it, and that you should be fine if you waited, but I plan on keeping this car for a long time, and I want to be sure that I got rid of any metal shards that were loose while breaking it in.

If I were to give any advise, and mind you I know nothing, I would wait till you break it in and then do your first oil change. I have been told oil form the factory has additives to make it even more resilient, I don't know if that is factual or not.

·
Premium Member
2018 124 Spider Abarth Custom
1,451 Posts
The oil itself should be just fine. Needs heat and dirt to really degrade it. As long as it was idled a while after a long sit to get everything wet again and circulating well, the engine should be fine. Don't baby it and don't "overdo" it to get everything broke in well under slightly stressful usage. Run the car semi hard for 1500-2000 miles and then change it to get out all of the fine debris created during break in.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Well.... It can actually depend on where and in what circumstances the car's been sitting. In my case, I picked up a 2018 Abarth with six miles on the odometer a month ago. The car was sitting outside in the dealer lot for nearly a year. However, the lot is a mile from Mississippi's Gulf Coast, so, salt, humidity, tropical downpours, sea air and all that. (If you're wondering, I did clean up a light patina of corrosion to the rear control arms with a wire brush, rust-lock and a repaint.) While the engine oil looks good, I plan on doing complete changes at about 1200 miles - engine oil, transmission and differential. Absolutely needed? No. Safer in the long run? Sure.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts