Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all
so I thought I'd start a thread to get everyone's experience so far with their 124's oil consumption rate.
My dipstick is registering half now after 4000Kms (2500 miles). I added approx 1/3 quart to bring it up to about 3/4 on the dipstick. Assuming the oil was filled to register full on the dipstick (i didn't do the last oil change), that seems like a lot of oil used. It would equate to roughly the dipstick being at 0 at 5000 miles. I don't see or smell any burning oil in the exhaust and there are no leaks on my garage floor. The car only has 6000Km or 3750 miles on it.
Thoughts? Perhaps it's still "break in" period?
What are your experiences so far....?
Tom

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Mine at 2900 miles shows a little over full with a cold engine, and the oil looks very good

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine at 2900 miles shows a little over full with a cold engine, and the oil looks very good
Hmmmm. Clearly mine is not right. I don't think the amount of oil it's used is normal.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Hi all
so I thought I'd start a thread to get everyone's experience so far with their 124's oil consumption rate.
My dipstick is registering half now after 4000Kms (2500 miles). I added approx 1/3 quart to bring it up to about 3/4 on the dipstick. Assuming the oil was filled to register full on the dipstick (i didn't do the last oil change), that seems like a lot of oil used. It would equate to roughly the dipstick being at 0 at 5000 miles. I don't see or smell any burning oil in the exhaust and there are no leaks on my garage floor. The car only has 6000Km or 3750 miles on it.
Thoughts? Perhaps it's still "break in" period?
What are your experiences so far....?
Tom

Probably nothing. You are assuming it was full when the last oil change was done but not sure. Unless you see any oil on the ground, or in the catch can, I wouldn't worry about it.:)

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Tom you should monitor your oil lever closely, how much oil did they put in on your last oil change. Also seems some US members have had issues with oil level especially on long rides.
I assume if you're always revving high it could consume a little more.

Now that you have the OIL Catch can, check it out often. You must do lots of highway from your place to Pearson with the spider.

Mine bearly burns a drop. How much did you say you paid for your car. :confused:
just kidding.

Call a Fiat dealer or a couple and ask them if it's normal or what is the border line. I think you got some surveillance to do on your oil. good luck

Heading out celebrating France win in the world soccer cup. Made some $$$$>:)

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll top it right up tonight. Then the monitor begins. Truthfully I didn't pay it much attention to it at all since new cars are never an issue. My BMW went 10,000km didn't use a single drop.
My technique to check the oil is run the car then let it settle for 5 mins after driving then checking the oil level.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
I just checked mine. Almost 4,000 miles and still dead on the money. No leaks, drips, nada. Even looks clean and I run her hard most times I'm driving it. I also have a track day thrown in there. I bought some Amsoil based on @XtremeRevolution recommendation and have been meaning to change the oil but since it still looks so clear I've been putting it off. I'm not going to let it go much longer though. FWIW, my daughter's 2013 VW Tiguan with 2.0T seems to gulp oil while my other daughter's older VW Passat with 2.0T does not.

·
Registered
76 Posts
9k miles
2 oil changes, oil was not dirty either time.

no oil loss at all.
catch can catching nothing, not very satisfying but in a good way.

Had 2 500 engines that went through oil 1qt every 1-2k miles. And oil was black by 4k miles.

·
Administrator
1,953 Posts
I only drove 2200 miles last year before changing the oil, but didn't see any change in oil level. I did drive it very hard, however. The average load was much higher than most drivers as I work from home full time, so it was all hard driving, wide open throttle.

A note to the other responses in this thread, oil color is really not a good indicator of usable life, or anything else for that matter barring coolant contamination. An oil that doesn't look dark after a long run may actually not be doing its job as oil is tasked with suspending contaminants from combustion byproducts.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Mine dropped some after the first few thousand but has been stable since. A new motor would seem to be more likely to burn a bit until the rings seal so probably you’re fine.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
An oil that doesn't look dark after a long run may actually not be doing its job as oil is tasked with suspending contaminants from combustion byproducts.
Well then I guess I'll go ahead and change my oil today then. Also, the Castrol Synthetic I've been using in my daughter's VW Tiguan must be doing a helluva job because it is always jet black. But I just figured it was dirt from the outside and inside of her filthy car making it's way into the engine. :|

·
Registered
268 Posts
Just checked oil level at 9k and just below full. It was at full around 5k. And though not jet black it’s definitely dirty.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Just checked the catch can, and it was almost bone dry at 2900 miles. I could put my finger to the bottom of the can and feel a very thin film. All cleaned up now and good to go again. The battery surprised me though as it needed some distilled water. It wasn't low but could use topping off.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My car was almost at the add line after about 7k miles. I think the recent 1200 mile round trip really burnt off a decent amount of it. I checked it a week or so before the trip, and it seemed to move significantly.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I do my oil changes every 7,000 miles (Owners manual says 10,000, but I drive it pretty hard). Mine goes through about a quart every 7,000 miles. It's my understanding that these engines are known for using a little oil. I don't worry about it too much. Also, it seems like all my cars have always used oil. I've bought used cars that didn't burn any oil at first, and within a year of me driving them they started using a little. I'm starting to wonder if it's possible that driving style can have an effect on this.

·
Administrator
1,953 Posts
I do my oil changes every 7,000 miles (Owners manual says 10,000, but I drive it pretty hard). Mine goes through about a quart every 7,000 miles. It's my understanding that these engines are known for using a little oil. I don't worry about it too much. Also, it seems like all my cars have always used oil. I've bought used cars that didn't burn any oil at first, and within a year of me driving them they started using a little. I'm starting to wonder if it's possible that driving style can have an effect on this.
Driving style, environmental conditions, and oil quality all have an effect on oil consumption.

·
Registered
13 Posts
When I first got me Spider I checked her oil religiously for the first 1000 miles whilst running in. Never used a drop so I stopped checking. Fast forward to 5k and engine went into limp home mode. Took her to the dealers and they added 1l of oil and all was well (how embarrassing). There was no low oil pressure lamp lit. 9k/yearly service done. I’ve just added another 1l of oil at 14k Miles. The oil level was just on the bottom of the dip stick ?. Oil is pretty black. I’ve heard the 1.4 MultiAir goes though quite a bit of oil “when driven vigorously”. She’s my daily drive, so a mixture of rush hour crawl interspersed with gay abandon when permitted.

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
23k miles and over 1000 on the EC turbo and I still am not consuming oil.

·
Administrator
1,953 Posts
23k miles and over 1000 on the EC turbo and I still am not consuming oil.
I'm not either, and my driving is exceptionally harsh on average. I track oil consumption quite closely.

I attribute part of this to the exceptionally low volatility of the oil.

Sent from my BlackBerry Key2 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 23 Posts