Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the span of 16 days (and 574 miles) from the last time I topped off the engine oil, I ended up putting in another quart, as the dipstick showed oil at the edge of the minimum fill line. The car currently has 33,242 miles.

Is there anything about topping off this amount something to be expected? I'm now keeping an extra pint in the car just in case.

I have an EC catch can that has an oily residue on the inside, but nothing I could pour out. I have no active CEL codes, if anyone is wondering.

My 124 Abarth is basically a summer commuter car that sees about 250 miles a week on a mix of city/highway driving.

Thanks,

John

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
For what it's worth, mine consumes a bit over half a litre between oil changes, which I do every 5,000 km (3,000 miles). The oil I remove when I do the change is black like the stuff that came out of the ground when Jed shot a hole in the dirt. (The older folks like myself will get this reference. lol ).

·
Registered
92 Posts
In the span of 16 days (and 574 miles) from the last time I topped off the engine oil, I ended up putting in another quart, as the dipstick showed oil at the edge of the minimum fill line. The car currently has 33,242 miles.

Is there anything about topping off this amount something to be expected? I'm now keeping an extra pint in the car just in case.

I have an EC catch can that has an oily residue on the inside, but nothing I could pour out. I have no active CEL codes, if anyone is wondering.

My 124 Abarth is basically a summer commuter car that sees about 250 miles a week on a mix of city/highway driving.

Thanks,

John
I installed an oil catch can at around 4000 miles. I check it every 500 miles or so and it usually has 1 or 2 oz in it. I drain it into my used oil contains and top up with new oil. I did see someone suggest replacing the PCV valve which reduced the amount his car was consuming.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I installed an oil catch can at around 4000 miles. I check it every 500 miles or so and it usually has 1 or 2 oz in it. I drain it into my used oil contains and top up with new oil. I did see someone suggest replacing the PCV valve which reduced the amount his car was consuming.
I think the pcv valve is located on the side of the aos, can anyone confirm?

·
Registered
758 Posts
If you don't see physical leaks (droplets on the ground) then it's likely bad piston rings. Catch cans don't catch all of the oil from PCV (caused by blow-by which in turn is caused by bad piston rings), only small percentage, depending on the quality of the catch can.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If the rings are bad, wouldn't the exhaust have that funky burning oil smell, along with the "we've elected a new Pope" white exhaust?

·
Registered
758 Posts
If the rings are bad, wouldn't the exhaust have that funky burning oil smell, along with the "we've elected a new Pope" white exhaust?
There are only so many paths of escape for the oil. It either leaks to the ground, gets caught by the catch can, bypasses the catch can and gets burned, or escapes as vapor through bad hoses, hose connections or O-rings. If you see oil residue or condensate in your engine bay, chances are that it was the 4th case. It could also be a combination of the above, but in any case, if it escaped in gaseous form, chances are that it was from blow-by.

You could always do a compression test to see if you can rule out cylinder leakage.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
For what it's worth, mine consumes a bit over half a litre between oil changes, which I do every 5,000 km (3,000 miles). The oil I remove when I do the change is black like the stuff that came out of the ground when Jed shot a hole in the dirt. (The older folks like myself will get this reference. lol ).
And it paid for their cement pond?

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
There are only so many paths of escape for the oil. It either leaks to the ground, gets caught by the catch can, bypasses the catch can and gets burned, or escapes as vapor through bad hoses, hose connections or O-rings. If you see oil residue or condensate in your engine bay, chances are that it was the 4th case. It could also be a combination of the above, but in any case, if it escaped in gaseous form, chances are that it was from blow-by.

You could always do a compression test to see if you can rule out cylinder leakage.
Doing a compression test is good advice. If I were losing that much oil it’s what I’d do. Right now my car doesn’t seem to burn a drop of oil. 1500 miles since last oil change and it’s still sitting exactly on the full mark.

·
Administrator
1,953 Posts
If you don't see physical leaks (droplets on the ground) then it's likely bad piston rings. Catch cans don't catch all of the oil from PCV (caused by blow-by which in turn is caused by bad piston rings), only small percentage, depending on the quality of the catch can.
Bad piston rings are far more uncommon than people think. Piston rings don't really wear the way you might think they do; most of the time they will coke up with oil deposits from oil that was run too long or poor quality oil. None of these would be issues with the OEM spec oil on these cars.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A compression test should be a straightforward task with the right tools. I also seem to remember that PCV issues (in general) would also contribute to excessive oil consumption, no? My car has about 30k+ miles on the clock, so that's right in replacment territory for PCVs in general.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have seen that video from NGEN. The 500 AOS differs from the 124 spider.

The hoses attached to the 124 AOS seem to be of the single use variety, compared to the spring clamps in the 500.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
I have seen that video from NGEN. The 500 AOS differs from the 124 spider.

The hoses attached to the 124 AOS seem to be of the single use variety, compared to the spring clamps in the 500.
They are but don't be afraid to break them off and replace with the spring clamps.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
They are but don't be afraid to break them off and replace with the spring clamps.
I figured on using ear clamps on this; I just bought a pincers tool and a box of assorted clamps online.

On another note, I left a comment on NGEN's AOS maintenance video, and he thought that chugging a quart of oil every 500 miles is highly abnormal.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
I figured on using ear clamps on this; I just bought a pincers tool and a box of assorted clamps online.

On another note, I left a comment on NGEN's AOS maintenance video, and he thought that chugging a quart of oil every 500 miles is highly abnormal.
Yeah I agree with him. I just had to add about 1/4 quart after 2,000 miles.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I keep reading about oil consumption, so I checked mine before the last autocross. I absolutely hoon my car. I keep it spun up on the street (without driving like a complete knob) and put 199 autoX runs on the car this year. After 6500 miles the oil is still at the full level.

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
Yah so far I don't have any consumption, either. 23k miles and now 1000 miles on the EC 1446+ turbo.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts