Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Administrator
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I figured it might be helpful to have a list of oils and filters available for this car so people can choose between their options. This is will be updated as needed, so if you have something that should be added, let me know in a reply and I can update this thread. Please do not use this thread to debate the flaws or virtues of any of these products.

Note: Generally speaking, any BMW 229.5 (Full-SAPS) o 229.51 (Low-SAPS) spec synthetic 5W-40 oil will be suitable for use in this engine. Manufacturers have started recommend oils that meet both of those specifications for the 1.4L Multiair turbo. The below list still needs to be updated but has a few options to consider.

Engine Oils: The owner's manual recommends synthetic SAE 5W-40 engine oils meeting MS-12991 specifications. The following engine oils are available, in alphabetical order.

Full-SAPS oils:

- AMSOIL European Formula 5W-40 Classic ESP (25% off available with a Preferred Customer account) - Technical Data Sheet - Recommended for this engine by the oil manufacturer, but does not list MS-12991.

- Havoline ProDS 5w-40 - Technical Data Sheet - Meets the MS-12991 specification.

- Motul X-cess 5W-40 - Technical Data Sheet - Recommended for this engine by the oil manufacturer, but does not list MS-12991.

- Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40 (Rebates may be available) - Technical Data Sheet - Dealer fill oil, meets MS-12991

- Ravenol 5W-40 VST - Technical Data Sheet - Lists MS-12991 but does not claim compliance or approval, listed under "Practice and tested in aggregates with filling."

- Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 - Technical Data Sheet - This is probably identical to Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40. Meets MS-12991.

- Total Quartz 9000 Energy 5W-40 - Technical Data Sheet - Meets the MS-12991 specification.

Low-SAPS oils that are recommended for this engine by the oil manufacturer. Note: these low-SAPS oils have reduced additive levels. See post 8.
- Castrol Edge 5W-40 - Technical Data Sheet - Recommended in by Castrol for this engine, but does not list MS-12991.

- Castrol Magnatec 5W-40 - Technical Data Sheet - Recommended in by Castrol for this engine, but does not list MS-12991.

- Valvoline 5W-40 MST SynPower - Technical Data Sheet - Lists the spec, but does not have OEM approval.

Oil Filters:
- FRAM CH9713
- Hastings LF669
- Mann HU 713/1 x
- Mopar 68102241AA
- WIX 57341

·
Registered
719 Posts
It'd be great if we could keep this thread banter-free.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
I figured it might be helpful to have a list of oils and filters available for this car so people can choose between their options. This is will be updated as needed, so if you have something that should be added, let me know in a reply and I can update this thread. Please do not use this thread to debate the flaws or virtues of any of these products.

Engine Oils: The owner's manual recommends synthetic SAE 5W-40 engine oils meeting MS-12991 specifications. The following engine oils are known to meet those requirements, in alphabetical order.

Oils that list the FCA MS-12991 Specification/Approval:

- Havoline ProDS Euro 5w-40 - Technical Data Sheet
- Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40 (Rebates may be available) - Technical Data Sheet
- Ravenol 5W-40 VST - Technical Data Sheet
- Total Quartz 9000 Energy 5W-40 - Technical Data Sheet
- Valvoline 5W-40 MST SynPower - Technical Data Sheet

Oils that are suitable for use, recommended for this engine by the oil manufacturer, and are claimed to meet the specification, but do not list the FCA MS-12991 Specification/Approval:

- AMSOIL European Formula 5W-40 Classic ESP (25% off available with a Preferred Customer account) - Technical Data Sheet
- Motul X-cess 5W-40 - Technical Data Sheet
- Pentosin Pento High Performance II 5W-40 - Technical Data Sheet
- Quaker State Ultimate Durability European 5W-40 - Technical Data Sheet

Oil Filters:

- FRAM CH9713
- Hastings LF669
- Mann HU 713/1 x
- Mopar 68102241AA
- WIX 57341
I'm surprised that Castrol Edge and STP filters are not on the list.

·
Administrator
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm surprised that Castrol Edge and STP filters are not on the list.
The list is and will be a work in progress. Just today, I added three more items. I only have so much time to research these options.

·
Administrator
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Most companies make two or three types of european formula oils as they pertain to SAPS levels. SAPS refers to sulfated ash, phosphorous, and sulfur. This refers mostly to antiwear additives and acidity neutralizing additives (TBN). In low-SAPS oils, these additive levels are reduced to extend the life of emissions control equipment such as diesel particulate filters.

All of the oils listed in the first post of this thread are full-SAPS oils, with two exceptions. It appears that Castrol's online product guide does not have a full-SAPS oil, and instead recommends two low/mid-SAPS oils for the these cars. Since they recommend the oil for this application, I listed their two products in the list, but made note that they have reduced additive levels.

With reduced acidity neutralizing additives (measured as TBN), oil life will be reduced over full-SAPS oils. With reduced antiwear additives (ZDDP), the oil may not protect the turbo under high stress conditions as well.

As a result, I personally would recommend using any of the other oils as they will provide better protection and performance in our cars, but will leave Castrol's option on the list in order to be thorough.

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts
Gee guys, this stuff is right I over my head LOL. I think I'll leave the choice to my dealer :)

Reactions: Stelvio

·
Administrator
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
As an "expert in the field," I have expended far too much of my time debating rhetoric on how my thread should be presenting objective information, and frankly have absolutely zero desire to waste even more time doing exactly the same thing this week. I'd much rather spend my free time on more productive initiatives than arguing whether or not an oil should be on one list or another, and I am confident that nobody wants to read these long exchanges, and that they are of little to no benefit to other members of this forum.

My goal has genuinely been to provide owners with objective information that they can view in the most effective way possible to allow them to make the lubrication choice that best suits their goals. As a result, I've added a comment next to each product that gets the same point across as the three separate lists I had before, noting which oils have MS-12991 listed and which ones don't, which ones claim to meet it and which ones don't, and any other relevant details I felt needed to be noted. The technical data sheets are provided for all of them. The options are now organized to separate Full-SAPS oils from Low-SAPS oils in two lists as that will ultimately be far more consequential to this community.

No, I won't be taking feedback on how to re-organize it a 5th time. Any other threads created to list engine oils in a different format, for a similar purpose, or for a purpose related to this thread will be deleted. No, I won't move AMSOIL from the top of the list, because it's alphabetical and its order has absolutely no consequence.

If you have any additions to make to the main post, or have any revisions to the details of any of the products listed, present them in this thread and I'll make the changes. All discussions of the MS-12991 specification are to be conducted in this thread:
http://www.124spider.org/forum/369-oils-fluids-fuel-additives-lubrications/15370-discussion-ms-12991-split-oil-filter-master-thread.html

All technical discussions regarding any of these lubricants are to be conducted in this thread:
http://www.124spider.org/forum/369-oils-fluids-fuel-additives-lubrications/10993-engine-oil-tech-talk.html

Any posts created in this thread not for the purpose of updating the details of any of the items (with evidence provided to support the change) will be deleted. Again, any changes you believe are appropriate require that evidence is provided to make the change. A personal vendetta against an oil company or its affiliates is not considered valid evidence for making a change.

If anyone doesn't like it, you can go...

Attachments

·
Administrator
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I am new here, but why would anyone put an oil in their new car that wasn't approved by fiat? I am confused.
I explained this elsewhere, but to summarize, the owner may want a higher performing oil. Approvals simply mean that an oil meets the bare minimum performance requirements, and there is always room to improve, especially where hard driving, racing, and modified engines are involved. In some cases, the approval may actually limit the performance of the oil due to emissions regulations. I know of at least one owner who currently runs Motul's X-cess 5W-40 for exactly this reason. In addition, the owner may want an option that provides a better warranty.

I cannot speak for everyone else, but I personally know that the oil I chose to use is made to a higher performance standard than the one the dealer fills these cars with, but that's a technical discussion that wouldn't be appropriate for this thread. My personal goals with my driving conditions are maximum performance, not maximum compliance, a good engine oil warranty that is not contingent on my exclusive use of an oil for the life of the vehicle, an oil that is sourced and produced in the USA (yes, I know I own a Japanese/Italian car, but only due to a lack of options). I see my cars as investments and make every effort possible to use the best product I can find to protect that investment. Again, I only speak for myself.

For casual drivers and the average motorist, the FIAT approved oils will work fine, assuming we don't find any surprises once people start getting oil analysis reports in.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I explained this elsewhere, but to summarize, the owner may want a higher performing oil. Approvals simply mean that an oil meets the bare minimum performance requirements, and there is always room to improve, especially where hard driving, racing, and modified engines are involved. In some cases, the approval may actually limit the performance of the oil due to emissions regulations. I know of at least one owner who currently runs Motul's X-cess 5W-40 for exactly this reason. In addition, the owner may want an option that provides a better warranty.

I cannot speak for everyone else, but I personally know that the oil I chose to use is made to a higher performance standard than the one the dealer fills these cars with, but that's a technical discussion that wouldn't be appropriate for this thread. My personal goals with my driving conditions are maximum performance, not maximum compliance, a good engine oil warranty that is not contingent on my exclusive use of an oil for the life of the vehicle, an oil that is sourced and produced in the USA (yes, I know I own a Japanese/Italian car, but only due to a lack of options). I see my cars as investments and make every effort possible to use the best product I can find to protect that investment. Again, I only speak for myself.

For casual drivers and the average motorist, the FIAT approved oils will work fine, assuming we don't find any surprises once people start getting oil analysis reports in.
Thanks for the info. The Pennzoil that FIAT has approved though means if the engine has problems, when I go back to FIAT, it is "no questions asked" if I let them know I have only used Pennzoil. The Pennzoil is more than just the minimum too. By using natural gas to create the base oil, I understand they get a super clean base oil before they bring in the additives. Aren't they and Shell and Quaker State the only ones using that technology?

·
Administrator
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the info. The Pennzoil that FIAT has approved though means if the engine has problems, when I go back to FIAT, it is "no questions asked" if I let them know I have only used Pennzoil. The Pennzoil is more than just the minimum too. By using natural gas to create the base oil, I understand they get a super clean base oil before they bring in the additives. Aren't they and Shell and Quaker State the only ones using that technology?
Generally speaking yes, the Pennzoil that FIAT has approved means if the engine has problems, they will fix it for you, no questions asked. However, there is one caveat to this: only for 50,000 miles or 4 years, whichever comes first. For me, that ship will sail next year when the engine modifications start. It is worth noting that failures that can be attributed to synthetic lubricants are extremely rare if not nonexistent.

No disrespect intended, but I'd like to keep technical discussions out of this thread. I'll message you shortly to address the remainder of your post so we can keep this one on topic.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Generally speaking yes, the Pennzoil that FIAT has approved means if the engine has problems, they will fix it for you, no questions asked. However, there is one caveat to this: only for 50,000 miles or 4 years, whichever comes first. For me, that ship will sail next year when the engine modifications start. It is worth noting that failures that can be attributed to synthetic lubricants are extremely rare if not nonexistent.

No disrespect intended, but I'd like to keep technical discussions out of this thread. I'll message you shortly to address the remainder of your post so we can keep this one on topic.
Oh sorry! I saw all that discussion about SAPS and I thought this was the place. Is there a better topic for 124 specific oils?

·
Administrator
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oh sorry! I saw all that discussion about SAPS and I thought this was the place. Is there a better topic for 124 specific oils?
Not a problem at all. This is a topic for 124 specific oils, but I was trying to keep the discussion specific to maintaining the list as opposed to discussing those oils.

Here's a thread more suitable for the technical discussion of those oils: http://www.124spider.org/forum/369-oils-fluids-fuel-additives-lubrications/10993-engine-oil-tech-talk-8.html

·
Registered
37 Posts
1 - 20 of 68 Posts