Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 Fiat Abarth and when I had the oil changed the mechanic noticed excessive oil laying in the air intake tube coming off of air filter box. Also enough oil had leaked that it ran on top of the air filter. Mechanic made some adjustments and said he expected that too much oil was added when last changed. I doubted this assessment. After several thousand miles I notice that the oil is again leaking into the air intake tube. Any suggestions as to what the problem might be? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I believe that is normal turbo oil blow by from PCV system. If it seems excessive a catch can my be in order. You'll find plenty of discussions about them in the forums.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe that is normal turbo oil blow by from PCV system. If it seems excessive a catch can my be in order. You'll find plenty of discussions about them in the forums.
Thanks for your help. I will have it looked into.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I noticed quite a lot in my intake tube when I was checking on my air filter recently. Some of it was incredibly thick almost like a grease you'd use on a door hinge. I could tell it had been going into the turbo, as well. I don't know if a catch can is legal in C Street for SCCA autoX, so I may have to just deal with oil in the intake. I also found that after 6200 miles, the oil was still at the full level on the dipstick...so I am not consuming a whole lot of oil like some people n here do. I drive the car like I stole it and autocross it a few times a month, so maybe frequent Italian tune-ups are what these cars need to keep from drinking oil.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
...so maybe frequent Italian tune-ups are what these cars need to keep from drinking oil.
I chuckle when I read posts that say they never get their car over 4,500 rpms. I try to keep my car above 4,500 at all times. It even says this in the service manual.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I chuckle when I read posts that say they never get their car over 4,500 rpms. I try to keep my car above 4,500 at all times. It even says this in the service manual.

View attachment 73504
Hello, I am new to this forum but I have owned the 124 for over three years and I know the multiair engine. I apologize for my english but I use the google translator. The problem of the oil in the suction pipe is due to the fact that the turbine sucks it from the oil separator since the membrane cannot resist the depression created by the turbine. You can detach it and collect it in a decanter, no problem. In Italy it is a known thing, many detach it and close the inlet on the suction pipe before the turbine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The depression is the same but it depends a lot on how the car is used. The anti-pollution regulations require that the oil vapors be put back into suction and not discharged to the outside, but the turbine also contributes to the passage of oil and not only vapors. A sporty use of the car increases the possibility of finding oil in the duct: in fact, in the Abarth 500 trophy, the recirculations are all detached to avoid smearing the turbine and all the organs subsequent to the turbine.

·
Super Moderator
911 Posts
I noticed quite a lot in my intake tube when I was checking on my air filter recently. Some of it was incredibly thick almost like a grease you'd use on a door hinge. I could tell it had been going into the turbo, as well. I don't know if a catch can is legal in C Street for SCCA autoX, so I may have to just deal with oil in the intake. I also found that after 6200 miles, the oil was still at the full level on the dipstick...so I am not consuming a whole lot of oil like some people n here do. I drive the car like I stole it and autocross it a few times a month, so maybe frequent Italian tune-ups are what these cars need to keep from drinking oil.
In a former life I was an SCCA Scrutineer, and this should not be regarded as a performance enhancing part. We used to check the catch cans, Some of which were as crude as a plastic milk jug and length of curved hose off the PCV. As long as they kept oil off the pavement, it was good. Any inspector who gives crap on this issue ought to be relieved of his duties. There are lots bigger fish to fry. This was the San Francisco Region, so there were some very capable inspectors.
Best regards
Pete

·
Registered
202 Posts
I'm not worried about local events. I'm worried about being DQ'd at nationals where people have been DQ'd for things as petty as removing the badging on the trunk of their cars because the rules didn't say they could do that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts