Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I had that same amount, found when replacing the stock air intake with the V1, at about 60 miles on the odometer (3 days after delivery of the car).

Waiting for the manual transmission car can mount to arrive, then I'll be installing my EuroCompulsion catch can system.

Steve.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
In the "Engine and Technical Discussion" sub-forum, there is a very long thread, near the top of the list, about the acclaimed EuroCompulsion catch can system. In a nutshell, if you have an auto. trans. 124, it will fit. If you have a manual trans. car, it will not fit where designed but they have a new bracket coming out in the coming days to solve the mounting issue. But if you haven't read that thread, check it out. Others have built catch can systems from scratch, too. In my mind, a worthwhile investment no matter how you source it.

Steve.

·
Vendor
3,099 Posts
It's totally normal. I don't like it, but these engines throw a lot of oil into the intake system when they are on boost. A good catch if configured properly will reduce this significantly.

Greg

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
It appears by this photo that you have damaged the leading edges of your compressor wheel. Have you been running the engine without a filter?
When I first read this and thought "oh noes, hyper critical turbo guy ragging on someone's turbo" [please take this in the jocular manner it was intended], then looked at the picture and....woa! That does seem beaten up...

·
Registered
49 Posts
When I first read this and thought "oh noes, hyper critical turbo guy ragging on someone's turbo" [please take this in the jocular manner it was intended], then looked at the picture and....woa! That does seem beaten up...
If it helps, I'm an automotive engineer that designs turbos so I've seen a lot of compressor wheels. In fact, I just posted photos yesterday showing a new upgraded billet compressor wheel/turbo I'm working on.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
If it helps, I'm an automotive engineer that designs turbos so I've seen a lot of compressor wheels. In fact, I just posted photos yesterday showing a new upgraded billet compressor wheel/turbo I'm working on.
That's what I guessed, just giving you a hard time :)

You know what they say about brain surgery: not exactly rocket science, is it? :p

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Those blades do look beat up.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That was my other concern, past the oil. Might put the stock intake back on and head to the dealer. Absolutely haven't run without a filter.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It appears by this photo that you have damaged the leading edges of your compressor wheel. Have you been running the engine without a filter?
Those blades do look beat up.
Thank you, guys. Took the car into the dealer and they let me know a couple days back that they're getting a new turbo put in under warranty. No idea what could've caused this, or if it came like this from the factory. Here's a better picture I got:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Glad they are fixing it for you.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts