Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I was hoping someone with some experience with this engine might lend a hand. I went over to my buddy's house to do my first oil change on his lift. When we pulled the cover panel off, it had oil on it. Looking up, we found oil leaking from somewhere above. This is on the left side. The attached pic isn't very good, but my car friend thought it was the tap point for the oil cooler. Directly above is the oil filter but we didn't see any leaks there.

This was the first oil change so it wasn't spill from a previous change. We cleaned it as best we could and will keep an eye on it. Is there anywhere up there is prone to leaks on the 1.4?

BTW, the car used zero oil in it's first 3000 miles - I checked it about every 500 miles and it was always right to the top of the cross-hatch. Also, I've never seen any drops on the garage floor so it must be a very minor leak.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
I had the thermostat changed, after that, mine started to leak, the gasket near the thermostat, ahead of the vacuum assist pump was where mine was leaking, splattering on the bell housing, Fiat fixed it but they had to trace it due to the amount of splatter..

·
Registered
283 Posts
Sounds like you found the true purpose of the belly pan; An oil catch pan. I hope you find it. With oil leaks, a little goes a long way and as you found out.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had the same issue during the first oil change (oil on the pan). It turned out to the the braided line that is the oil return from the turbo charger. The joint from the braided section to the hard tubing was leaking. Fiat dealer found a new line, replaced it and all is fine now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts