Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
5. Pull the dipstick out again and examine the level. The level is normal if it is between Low and Full. If it is near or below Low, open the engine oil cap/filler 2 and add enough oil to bring the level to Full.
Note: Do not overfill the engine oil. This may cause engine damage.

If I want to add a little put the oil cap is shut tight any tricks or methods to loosen?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Are you saying you can't open the engine oil fill cap?
It should not be incredibly hard to open.
Not trying to insult you but I do not know your mechanical aptitude.
Are you doing: Righty tighty, Lefty loosey?
ie turn counter clockwise to loosen.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you saying you can't open the engine oil fill cap?
It should not be incredibly hard to open.
Not trying to insult you but I do not know your mechanical aptitude.
Are you doing: Righty tighty, Lefty loosey?
ie turn counter clockwise to loosen.
Yep lefty, it’s just a bit tight. Level is pretty much the recommended, might wait till it’s serviced. Btw I’m female, need to be a bit more forceful.

·
Registered
40 Posts
So hopefully you got it open? Sometimes a little bit of mechanical leverage helps, like a small non marring set of pliers. Just be careful you don't get to carried away. ;)

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
On a whim, I went to Google and searched "jar opener", and of course about a billion hits come up. Click the "images" tab in the search results to see photos of all the different devices available. You might find something that will be helpful to you. A good auto parts store may have something similar.

I wonder if one of those simple rubber sheet-like gripper pads might provide enough extra friction in your grip to loosen the filler cap?

OR!! Lisle oil filler cap wrench, for several different Dodge (Chrysler... aka Fiat Chrysler, maybe?) vehicles. I haven't looked at my filler cap in months, so I don't know for sure if the shape or dimension is correct, but at least we're headed down a road here.
http://www.lislecorp.com/divisions/products/?product=503

Steve.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
On a whim, I went to Google and searched "jar opener", and of course about a billion hits come up. Click the "images" tab in the search results to see photos of all the different devices available. You might find something that will be helpful to you. A good auto parts store may have something similar.

I wonder if one of those simple rubber sheet-like gripper pads might provide enough extra friction in your grip to loosen the filler cap?

OR!! Lisle oil filler cap wrench, for several different Dodge (Chrysler... aka Fiat Chrysler, maybe?) vehicles. I haven't looked at my filler cap in months, so I don't know for sure if the shape or dimension is correct, but at least we're headed down a road here.
http://www.lislecorp.com/divisions/products/?product=503

Steve.
Thanks Steve that’s useful advise!

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Good luck, I hope you find a good fix.

Steve.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts