Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Abarth Spider
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've experienced occasional large puffs of oil smoke from the exhaust on my Abarth, almost always after a long downhill where I let the engine do some of the braking.

Background. This engine has about 35,000 miles on it, but the car (and the AOS) have 138,000 miles. I've noticed if Iet the oil level approach the bottom of the dipstick (still in range) the problem seems to subside.

My two theories are a clogged AOS (but I rarely see oil in my catch can, or possibly oil collected in my intercooler from thousands of miles of "a few drops of oil in the intake".

Can anyone shed some light on this?

·
Registered
2020 Abarth 124 Brillante White Velleno package with Monza exhaust.
1,583 Posts
Sounds like the pcv is stuck or at least sticky. I would clean out the aos and pcv portion and see if that helps. Only other thing I can think of is piston rings or valve guides allowing oil to get sucked into the engine under high vacuum.

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
From what I have read oil makes it through the AOS to the intake manifold during high rpm engine braking. What you are seeing is typical.

Oil level at the bottom of the dipstick is low. That's bad.

·
Registered
2018 Abarth Spider
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
From what I have read oil makes it through the AOS to the intake manifold during high rpm engine braking. What you are seeing is typical.

Oil level at the bottom of the dipstick is low. That's bad.
I don't know about typical....only started doing it in the last 10,000 miles

Agree about the oil level...only tried it once to see if it made a difference and check the rate of consumption. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2018 Abarth Spider
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like the pcv is stuck or at least sticky. I would clean out the aos and pcv portion and see if that helps. Only other thing I can think of is piston rings or valve guides allowing oil to get sucked into the engine under high vacuum.
Yup, I've already cleaned the PCV, but not the AOS. I give cleaning the AOS a try this weekend...

Reactions: mtnghost

·
Registered
66 Posts
Yup, I've already cleaned the PCV, but not the AOS. I give cleaning the AOS a try this weekend...
In as much as your'e not getting much oil in your catch can and you have cleaned the PCV valve I vote for oil getting past the rings and or the valve stems directly into the combustion chamber and out the tail pipe. All cars will draw some oil under hard deceleration but you can't see it unless it's excessive.

·
Registered
2018 Abarth Spider
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I always see a little oil in the turbo intake when I pull the tube off, and the can will catch about a teaspoon in 5000 miles…I was hoping it’s not rings or valve seals…

I have a plug change coming up in a month or two, so I’ll get a peek inside then. In the meantime, I’ll pull the AOS and clean it

thanks all!

·
Registered
2018 Abarth 124 Spider, Mare Blue / Nero Abarth Leather, Brembo's, Record Monza, Automatic
1,457 Posts
Well, I always see a little oil in the turbo intake when I pull the tube off, and the can will catch about a teaspoon in 5000 miles…I was hoping it’s not rings or valve seals…

I have a plug change coming up in a month or two, so I’ll get a peek inside then. In the meantime, I’ll pull the AOS and clean it

thanks all!
If / when you pull the plugs, a compression & leak down test will tell you a lot. s

1 - 10 of 10 Posts