Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not a pinstripe guy, but I have an all white classica. I have new rims and tires and springs ordered. I plan on having the seats done in red leather. I was thinking of red mirrors and a thin red pinstripe to bring out the very nice body crease on top of fenders/doors. Is this a bad , outdated idea?.

·
Super Moderator
948 Posts
I think it would be a tasteful addition. It isn't outdated, just neglected! You'd probably use tape, right? But I have to say the hand painted pinstripes I've seen are pretty cool.

Pete

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hand painted. I think it would break up the solid white paint just enough. Thanks for your imput. I would hate to make the car look out dated . Curious what others may add.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I was thinking of getting something similar to this. (There are already dealer installed pinstripes on the accent crease on the doors.)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That is sharp, can that be purchased anywhere?. I'm in buffalo ny and they don't even have spiders in stock!, they told me they would call me when one comes in. So I drove 6 hours to get one. They are clueless and would have know idea about the stripe.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I think that is from a promotional picture from Fiat. I darkened the color of the car to match my own. I'd think someone who does striping professionally could recreate it.

·
Vendor
3,099 Posts
I don't think it's cheesy at all. If you want pinstripes, get pinstripes. Personally, I like them.

Greg

·
Registered
560 Posts
FWIW, "accent crease" is called a "character line", as creases are to be avoided at all costs in sheet metal. Also, character lines will span multiple body panels.
True. my pinstripes do run the entire length of the car. They are pretty subtle.

·
Registered
958 Posts
To each his own. I certainly like the pin stripe idea. I went a different direction since I could not find the stripe that kpoling showed. And I don't really care if it's "cheesy" or not. I like it.

On this type of car, I think that personalizing it is almost a requirement. Last night I watched "Restoration Garage." Dave felt the same about his Alfa 4C.

Attachments

·
Registered
560 Posts
To each his own. I certainly like the pin stripe idea. I went a different direction since I could not find the stripe that kpoling showed. And I don't really care if it's "cheesy" or not. I like it.

On this type of car, I think that personalizing it is almost a requirement. Last night I watched "Restoration Garage." Dave felt the same about his Alfa 4C.
Looks nice. I agree - this car just begs for personalizing.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Hand painted. I think it would break up the solid white paint just enough. Thanks for your imput. I would hate to make the car look out dated . Curious what others may add.
I'll say the same as everyone else, if you want it get it. And with a HAND PAINTED pinstripe I don't think you will find anyone who think it's cheesy. It's gonna be a really nice touch.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I'll say the same as everyone else, if you want it get it. And with a HAND PAINTED pinstripe I don't think you will find anyone who think it's cheesy. It's gonna be a really nice touch.
I had hand painted pinstripes done on my silver grigio classica along the body accent line or character line in a plum red/burgundy matching the wheel center caps. Soon as I saw the car, I decided it was begging for a pinstripe. I have not regretted it. But to each his own. Good luck finding a pinstriper...a dying breed...

·
Banned
112 Posts
It's your money,do what makes you happy. You spent ~30k for it.Who cares what others think. But since you asked,don't put a pinstripe on it!!!! Pinstripes are for sissy-fied Miatas!! Our cars are much more aggressive looking than Miatas. That's one reason I prefer it over a Miata.You don't put a pinstripe on a more aggressive car. Putting a pinstripe on an Abarth would be heresy (I know yours is a Lusso) My .02.
How many sports cars have pinstripes? Porsches,BMWs,ect? Very few if any and I've owned more than a handful of both.
If you want to add a pinstripe,buy a sedan and have at it.

·
Registered
476 Posts
i think the pinstripe would look fine. for my 124 i was going to do a stripe similar to the one kpoling posted but with silver and burgundy. Now that i am moving up to a A124 i think i have settled on getting a charcoal abarth rocker stripe as my car will be silver and the Abarth already has the grey wheels, mirror caps and window surround. something like this but not a huge fan of this specific design, looks awkward where goes to scorpion.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts