Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

OK...Screwed up the Infotainment Upgrade - Fixed!!

8K views 28 replies 6 participants last post by  Bob T 
#1 · (Edited)
Fixed - See below...

Today I was doing the Android Auto firmware upgrade per 68wooly's and ameridan's information.

Started with version 56 w/tweaks....Removed the speedometer as advised in the instructions.
Installed the ID7 tweak - no issues
Installed the 70.000.100A as instructed - no issues - everything worked
Installed the MazdaToFiatV70AIO as instructed - all good
Went to install a couple of original tweaks using ameridan's All In One Tweaks V1.5 - look good, but...

It hung on reboot...stuck at the Abarth logo....I've tried reloading the tweaks and removing the tweaks - no good.
Disconnecting the battery for a bit, let it boot to the main screen, and somethings work but not all.

Tried going back to reinstall 70, but the music, mute, favorite buttons don't bring up the Diagnostic Test screen.

So stuck. Ideas?

UPDATE 10/17/20 - Problem solved. Just needed a new CMU from eBay for $125...:(
Unfortunately it is a rev 59. .563, but the stock stuff works, until I can get back to this.

See less See more
#4 ·
Everything was good and working, until I added a couple of tweaks using ameridan's All In One Tweaks V1.5.
Tried to go back and remove the ones I added, not sure if I got them all.
Both the MazdaToFiatV70AIO tweak, and the All in One Tweaks will load and work, but I can't seem to fix the issue with bootup. (Occasionally it will finish the boot, but some functions still lock up)
I suspect I need to reinstall version 70, but the diagnostic test screen won't come up to initiat that.

#5 · (Edited)
EDIT#2 - Not fixed....see below....

Got it....Back with an update in a bit.

EDIT: So I went back and methodically removed every tweak I may have made with the older DOS All in One Tweaks. Than I reran the MazdaToFiatV70AIO tweaks. After that everything went back to normal. I could even get to the Diagnostic Tech screen.

After all that, I used the newer MZD all in one tweaks installer for the background and a few other things.

Went for a quick drive....All appears well. Just need to order the hardware for the Android Auto finish....

#7 ·
Yes, you are correct. I just had the older version already here on my laptop, and used it without remembering everything I had read. Didn't realize until I went back to one of the many instructions I was using. (It really is hard to sort out the best, newest, and specific to one's situation instructions. Spent hours looking at all the info, and still screwed up).

So yes, my fault. No complaints. It's fixed and all good. Although I will admit to a little panic....LOL..

Thanks to you and everyone involved that made it possible.:)

#8 ·
Would there be any reason to go back and re-install Version 70 again?

Everything seems to be working OK, but I can't say for certain I've corrected all the files I mismanaged.

#10 · (Edited)
OK....Not fixed and back to where I started. :unsure:

Everything was working as it should. Did the hardware upgrade a couple days ago...
Android Auto worked as expect. All good.

Today I just added the Speedometer using the latest MZD-aio, and the nav stopped working. Just a frozen map.
So I removed the Speedometer - And it wouldn't boot back up. Stuck at the Abarth logo.
Occasionally it would boot up, but always locked up a couple screens or commands in.
Tried removing all the MZD-aio tweaks - No improvement
Re-ran the MazdaToFiatV70AIO - No improvement

Figured I should just reinstall V70.00.100.
After several tries, I got to the home screen and got the update diagnostic keypad up.
I could input in numbers, but neither the enter button, nor clear button, seem to work.
So I couldn't get to the update menu.

Stuck....:confused:

EDIT: Made a slight correction, but pretty much still the same.

#11 ·
OK....still stuck and hoping someone could point me in a useful direction.

Went back and removed all the tweaks I could, 2 or 3 at a time, and finally got it to partially boot, sometimes. I can usually get to the home screen, sometimes I can open a menu, but it always locks up. Once I got to the radio screen, and manage to tune a station, so I have some music....But that's it.

I think I've done what I can, randomly removing and installing tweaks. I believe reflashing the 70 firmware, (or even older), would be the best approach, but I can't get to the diagnostic test screen to enter the upgrade mode.

Is it possible to do something through the serial port? Any other options?

@68wooley and @ameridan your thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

#12 ·
Bob T, I feel your pain, take the car for a drive, shut it off, a couple hours after, your tweaks should be working. I think when the car reboots, it does not do a full reboot it's after a couple hours or so, when you start it,
First no Mazda logo and everything looked good.
When you add a tweak and reboots the darn Mazda logo appears and then the Abarth.

#13 ·
Bob T, I feel your pain, take the car for a drive, shut it off, a couple hours after, your tweaks should be working. I think when the car reboots, it does not do a full reboot it's after a couple hours or so, when you start it,
First no Mazda logo and everything looked good.
When you add a tweak and reboots the darn Mazda logo appears and then the Abarth.
We are way beyond that, my friend. I've done the whole lock the car, and walkaway thing many times. No change.

Anyway, I've got a used CMU arriving tomorrow.
If it works, and depending on what revision it is, we'll be starting over this weekend.

#14 ·
Isn t there a Checksum procedure to reset the cmu. Good luck

#18 ·
Ok, I may have misunderstood,

I may have misunderstood, I am not blaming you, but myself, So what tweak I have to install,
Start animation or nav or ??????

#19 · (Edited)
I installed the REMOVAL OF "NO MORE DISCLAIMER", and now everything is back to normal. Speedomer is there but not active, looks like I have to go for a drive to active it.
Tomorrow I'll remove the Disclaimer and background image"blank blak" Now I can go to sleep in peace.All was done in tweaks 2.86

#20 ·
From my experience, as long as any install was not fatally interrupted, you can recover by removing tweaks. If any install is interrupted - especially and particularly a firmware upgrade - then the likely only solution is to flash the EPROM: this is a hard core removal of the Entertainment system and is an absolute last resort to throwing it in the trash.

#21 ·
Did remove the disclaimer and Black pic background, it's still that dirty cloud pic. Anyway I am not touching any more software, I'' stick with Amazing Grace notes 8 and not updating to 9.

Next sweat will be the hardware mod.

#22 · (Edited)
So I ran a couple things again, still can't get it to stay running, but I did get this log.
It appears I may have a memory problem, maybe....if those 90% are bad....Dunno

Any ideas on how to clear this up, if it is the issue?

COPY SYSTEM FOR DEBUG ANALYSIS

======================== rootfs 90% used ================================
====================== resources 26% used ===============================

======================= END OF TWEAKS INSTALLATION ======================

Filesystem Size Used Available Use% Mounted on
rootfs 477.9M 429.5M 48.4M 90% /
none 8.0M 1.1M 6.9M 14% /dev
/dev/ffx01p1 477.9M 429.5M 48.4M 90% /
none 8.0M 1.1M 6.9M 14% /dev
none 93.0M 2.9M 90.1M 3% /tmp
/dev/ffx01p4 307.1M 4.5M 302.6M 1% /tmp/mnt/data
/dev/mmcblk0p2 572.2M 116.1M 456.2M 20% /tmp/mnt/data_persist
/dev/mtdblock5 128.0K 128.0K 0 100% /config-mfg
none 30.0M 336.0K 29.7M 1% /tmp/mnt/tmp/race/database
/dev/mmcblk0p1 3.1G 814.4M 2.3G 26% /tmp/mnt/resources
/dev/sda1 14.7G 1.3G 13.4G 9% /tmp/mnt/sda1

#26 ·
Sorry been on vacation this week and not paying attention here. Those percentages are storage space used rather than memory, and about what I'd expect - there's not much spare space in there. The Carplay / Android Auto tweaks and Fiat / Abarth branding don't really use a lot of space so its not really a problem.

If you install a lot of the Mazda tweaks - the speedometer app etc, it can become an issue, but the latest versions of the Mazda installer has the option to put those in one of the disk areas with more available space for that reason.

#23 ·
OK - Fixed it...LOL...

Problem solved. Just needed a used CMU from eBay for $125... 😕
Unfortunately it is a 2019 with rev 59. .563, but the stock stuff works now.
Have another on the bench from a 2017, so depending on the revision, I'll be trying again.

#24 ·
OK - Fixed it...LOL...

Problem solved. Just needed a used CMU from eBay for $125... 😕
Unfortunately it is a 2019 with rev 59. .563, but the stock stuff works now.
Have another on the bench from a 2017, so depending on the revision, I'll be trying again.
Was the CMU from a Fiat or a Mazda? I've been thinking of obtaining one (ever since I had bricked and restored my current one) to perform experiments on. Time to do that has been a premium, currently.

#29 ·
Both the eBay ones I bought were from 124s, so I don't know for sure if an MX-5 CMU will work. Someone here should know.

The first one I bought was a late 59.XXX, and not upgradable. I did use it stock for a while though. The second was a Rev 56.XXX and it is now upgraded to Rev 70.

Turns out I really don't like Android Auto, and would have been fine with the stock set up. (Maybe a few tweaks...LOL)

Reactions: Arthur
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.