Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I leave my hotel at 04:30 in the morning, with the goal of beating the rush hour traffic out of the city. The vehicle tells me I've got nearly 40km (25 miles) on the safe side before I need to refuel at my regular half way point. But it lied to me... as I'm driving, I see that range difference beginning to decrease. During the last half hour of the drive, I'm seeing the safe range before empty bouncing between 12 and 6 km. Ooops. Big oops... because none of the service stations in the small towns along the highway are open yet. So, fingers crossed and trying to drive as consistently as possible to conserve remaining fuel. I made it... just barely... when you see the photo you'll see how close this was.

BUT, some learning from this. First, I see that the low fuel indicator lights up when it hits the 50km (30 mile) range remaining point. And even though ti was telling me I had next to no range left before running out, the fill was still 4 litres (about a gallon) less than the spec'd fuel tank capacity for the car. Based on that, I'm thinking there's some additional safe guards built in to protect idiots like myself from completely running out of gas. Worst case scenario, I could have coasted to the side of the highway, put on the flashers and called CAA (AMA for you folks south of the border) for an emergency fuel delivery. A bit of a risk that someone not being fully awake yet might arse end me while I wait on the shoulder, but mostly it would be simply embarrassing to hare to call for rescue. Next time, I'll play it safe and unless I figure I have more than adequate range remaining, I'll fill up the tank before I hit the highway. Lessons learned. 5km (3 miles). Yeah, that was close. Too close. lol

On the positive side, this was my first decent driving test since I resolved my P0172 code situation. I decided a nice 800km (500 mile) round trip would be a good little run to see how the engine behaved and what the fuel economy was looking like. The engine purred like a kitten, and the RM snarled from the back. My fuel economy was averaging at 5.9 litres per 100 km, which is just shy of 40 mpg (US gallons). Speed was mostly consistent at 120 kph (75 mph), with occasional throttle ups for passing other vehicles. I'm very, very happy with those results, because I know they'd be even more impressive if I were driving closer to 100 kph (60 mph).

Speedometer Car Motor vehicle Odometer Tachometer

·
Registered
24 Posts
Phew, possibly as you say, a touch too close. Hope you haven't sucked up all the crud that settles in the bottom of a fuel tank. Best of luck (y)

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Phew, possibly as you say, a touch too close. Hope you haven't sucked up all the crud that settles in the bottom of a fuel tank. Best of luck (y)
Yeah, I hear you. Similar thoughts were nagging at the back of my mind. Hopefully no issues, and although I have heard that mentioned many times over the years, I'm wondering how much of the crud in the bottom of the fuel tank is a reality versus a long standing urban myth.

Here's my attempt at logic behind that thought. The fuel gets sloshed around so much during driving that if there were truly any sludge in the bottom of the tank, it would get mixed up like a thin shake and sucked up anytime you're less than at a full tank. If its so thick it doesn't get mixed in during driving, then it's so thick it also wouldn't get pulled in when the fuel level is low.

Worst case scenario, if there is some truth to it, I'm relying on the fuel filters doing their job (I believe there are two, the one with the engine and the one associated with the pump at the fuel tank).

What I did find from doing a bit of research is that the bigger risk is not crud getting to the engine but rather the pump overheating since they sit inside the tank and the fuel helps keep them cool when running. They were stating that if you consistently run your vehicle low on fuel that you were shortening the life of your fuel pump. The jury seems to be out of that bit.

On one site, I found this image that someone had posted, stating that a half tank caused a lot of damage to a car, and speculating that even a quarter of a tank would be pretty bad. So kidding aside, it's all fun and games... till it's not...
Tank Vehicle Self-propelled artillery Wheel Tire

Reactions: Walshy6677

·
Registered
591 Posts
I took it down to zero once. I'm not proud.

But, as you note, there was still about a gallon left.
Still, it wasn't a good feeling and I rarely let it go under a 1/4 tank since.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I took it down to zero once. I'm not proud.
But, as you note, there was still about a gallon left.
Still, it wasn't a good feeling and I rarely let it go under a 1/4 tank since.
If I'm being honest (and I am, as it's somewhat embarrassing to admit what I did), I typically don't refuel till I hit the 1/8th tank mark. That's what I've done in nearly 50 years of driving, and never experienced any consequential issues. But now that I'm thinking about the submerged pump and cooling consideration, I may start doing the 1/4 tank fills. I've more often than I want to admit, been driving on the highway and got near the 50km range warning, but never below that. "usually" as soon as I'm down to around 80km (50 miles) range, I start looking for a service station. To be near 0 range is not something I ever plan to repeat if I can avoid doing so.

Reactions: mtnghost

·
Registered
2019 124 Spider Abarth
407 Posts
I had mine drop to zero miles about two weeks ago. I was on my way to get gas and the car had an unrelated issue that caused to to have to be towed to the dealer. I then ended up having to tow it home as the dealer wouldn’t touch the car with mods. Was a very slow 1 mile drive to the gas station but it made it.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
I coasted into a gas station in my first SAAB and was very glad it started after being replenished.

Reactions: Adenzeno

·
Registered
2018 Abarth 124 Spider, Mare Blue / Nero Abarth Leather, Brembo's, Record Monza, Automatic
1,386 Posts
So I leave my hotel at 04:30 in the morning, with the goal of beating the rush hour traffic out of the city. The vehicle tells me I've got nearly 40km (25 miles) on the safe side before I need to refuel at my regular half way point. But it lied to me... as I'm driving, I see that range difference beginning to decrease. During the last half hour of the drive, I'm seeing the safe range before empty bouncing between 12 and 6 km. Ooops. Big oops... because none of the service stations in the small towns along the highway are open yet. So, fingers crossed and trying to drive as consistently as possible to conserve remaining fuel. I made it... just barely... when you see the photo you'll see how close this was.

BUT, some learning from this. First, I see that the low fuel indicator lights up when it hits the 50km (30 mile) range remaining point. And even though ti was telling me I had next to no range left before running out, the fill was still 4 litres (about a gallon) less than the spec'd fuel tank capacity for the car. Based on that, I'm thinking there's some additional safe guards built in to protect idiots like myself from completely running out of gas. Worst case scenario, I could have coasted to the side of the highway, put on the flashers and called CAA (AMA for you folks south of the border) for an emergency fuel delivery. A bit of a risk that someone not being fully awake yet might arse end me while I wait on the shoulder, but mostly it would be simply embarrassing to hare to call for rescue. Next time, I'll play it safe and unless I figure I have more than adequate range remaining, I'll fill up the tank before I hit the highway. Lessons learned. 5km (3 miles). Yeah, that was close. Too close. lol

On the positive side, this was my first decent driving test since I resolved my P0172 code situation. I decided a nice 800km (500 mile) round trip would be a good little run to see how the engine behaved and what the fuel economy was looking like. The engine purred like a kitten, and the RM snarled from the back. My fuel economy was averaging at 5.9 litres per 100 km, which is just shy of 40 mpg (US gallons). Speed was mostly consistent at 120 kph (75 mph), with occasional throttle ups for passing other vehicles. I'm very, very happy with those results, because I know they'd be even more impressive if I were driving closer to 100 kph (60 mph).

View attachment 94296
Hi Cal, just happy you resolved the P0172 issue! As far as picking gunk up off the bottom of the tank, I personally wouldn't lose a lot of sleep worrying about this - I very rarely see this anymore. It used to be common when people got gas from gas stations with old rusty fuel storage tanks that leaked water and dirt. And seen in cars that have been in storage for very long periods of time. One notable exception was a car that a not so friendly neighbor had put a couple pounds of sugar in the tank - but rare. And the fuel pickup is in the bottom of the tank, so you would pick some stuff up anyway if it was there - but would be filtered to a certain degree. Maybe the most common thing I see these days is just water - after days of hard rains, and somehow the very occasional tank of diesel in a gasoline car. In any event, happy the P0172 is fixed, especially without you spending the money to replace the cannister and being patient instead. Best, s

·
Registered
2017 Abarth
25 Posts
Some time ago I removed the fuel tank of one of my 25 year old Fiats and emptied all the fuel. I couldn’t see any crud. Besides, at least in my other Fiats, the pump takes the fuel from the bottom anyway.
What does matter is that your fuel cools the pump. So if the pump is near end of life anyway it can be the end, but I don’t expect that on a five year old car.

p.s. edit. Now I see the reply of SteveP with similar thoughts.

·
Registered
2018 Fiat 124 Spider Abarth
2,407 Posts
I had that happen to me once.

It is 5pm on the Friday before Memorial Day weekend. I am driving 90 miles from Seattle to home in Bellingham. The I-5 isn’t moving.

I uncheck the “Allow Freeways” box on the navigation and let it take through the backroads. It is partly sunny and a gorgeous 72 degrees. I drop the top and put on some nice tunes. The drive is gorgeous and leisurely, but I’m moving. At about 35 miles from home the Low Fuel lights lit up. Problem is, the next gas station was 30 miles away.

I managed to pull in with only a few miles left in the tank.

Reactions: HairyWoofer

·
Registered
2020 Abarth 124 Brillante White Velleno package with Monza exhaust.
1,328 Posts
I had mine drop to zero miles about two weeks ago. I was on my way to get gas and the car had an unrelated issue that caused to to have to be towed to the dealer. I then ended up having to tow it home as the dealer wouldn’t touch the car with mods. Was a very slow 1 mile drive to the gas station but it made it.
I don’t believe they can flat out deny you service at the dealer. Deny you warrantee yea but they should still attempt to repair the parts that are factory. When I worked at Subaru we had cars come in all sorts of different stages of modifications and only turned away one that was a total mess and nothing was stock on. Hard to order parts for a transmission that has been swapped and no one said anything about it!😂

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Calvin, I expected this from someone in Ontario or Quebec, but a guy from Calgary, where OIL flows like a river and you're being stingy on gas! C'mon Calvin give me a better reason. LOL
We all like to go to the extreme, but me as soon as I see the needle going under 1/4 I stop next gas station, cause I don't want to get stuck without gas.:cool:

Traded my 2017 Murano, and should be getting my 2022 Tucson Hybrid Luxury by end of Month. Should be doing better MPG.

Reactions: CDPond

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Calvin, I expected this from someone in Ontario or Quebec, but a guy from Calgary, where OIL flows like a river and you're being stingy on gas! C'mon Calvin give me a better reason. LOL
We all like to go to the extreme, but me as soon as I see the needle going under 1/4 I stop next gas station, cause I don't want to get stuck without gas.:cool:
Traded my 2017 Murano, and should be getting my 2022 Tucson Hybrid Luxury by end of Month. Should be doing better MPG.
Yeah, I know, right? lol It's not so much the cost of fuel, but simply the fact that I really don't like topping up a tank that's more than a quarter full. In this case, I was certain I was plenty safe to make it to Red Deer's "gasoline alley" to do a fill for the final 200 km home. From now on, I'll consider that estimated range with a bit of skepticism and subtract 50 km to the range displayed. It's always a bit of a coin toss anyway, since it's an estimate that's constantly changing based on how you're driving. When things were getting really low, I was even noticing a +/- 10 km in range as I was going up or down long hills.

Congrats on the new Tucson! I bought a 2020 Kia Telluride SXL w/Nappa interior in spring of 2020 and love the thing. Not as large as my old 2005 Mitsubishi Montero, but a very nice vehicle none the less. Nothing better than that "new car" smell. :)

·
Registered
2018 Classica
306 Posts
I try to never go below a half of a tank. I still remember the gas shortages and lines of the '70s.
I always try to fill it up before I go home to park it. Even if it only means putting $20 in the tank. The way things are going, some enemy of our country will hack our electrical grid and the pumps at the gas stations won't work anymore. The gas that you have in your tank when you wake up in the morning may be the last you see for months. Color me paranoid.

·
Registered
59 Posts
If you track your car the estimated miles to empty goes completely wack for a couple of days. A full tank will equal a range of 80 miles until the computer realizes you are no longer driving it like you stole it.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I always try to fill it up before I go home to park it. Even if it only means putting $20 in the tank. The way things are going, some enemy of our country will hack our electrical grid and the pumps at the gas stations won't work anymore. The gas that you have in your tank when you wake up in the morning may be the last you see for months. Color me paranoid.
I was in Toronto when the major blackout that affected the NE/midwest US and southern Ontario occurred back in 2003. I was sitting in a plane waiting for pilot clearance to back away from the gate when the grid tripped. An hour later, they figure out it's not going to be a quick fix, so we offload, gather our luggage that's been lugged into the terminal... and try to find lodging and transportation to get there. You lined up for taxis, and the first one would pull up. The first person in line at that point would say where they were headed, and then they'd fill that taxi with other people going to the same general area. Reason being, pumps weren't working at service stations, so they were trying to maximize the use of the taxis before they ran out of gas. Random citizens in the streets directing traffic since all the traffic lights were out. No food getting cooked unless the facility had a backup generator or natural gas appliances. Meanwhile, food starting to spoil in refrigerators. Hotel staff taking you to your room with a flashlight, and letting you in with an actual passkey. Even emergency generators are only going to run for so long before they too run out of fuel. It was a bit of a challenge, but thankfully systems were restored around 12 hours after the blackout hit, and fully restored within a couple of days. If it had lasted much longer, I can see how things would go downhill pretty rapidly. Let alone the issues that folks with medical conditions that require home electrical service would be facing.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I drive it to zero almost every time. There is at least a spare gallon and have never run out

Reactions: CDPond
1 - 20 of 26 Posts