Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick update as I've just paid the insurance renewal and taxed the 124 which means it's just short of a year old. Its got 21,384 miles on the clock after today's 200 mile round trip to Tenby so by the time the first year ticks over it will have hit 22,000 miles.

So how am I getting on?

Well I still love it to bits. It's a stack of fun to drive, goes well, handles and rides beautifully and has averaged 43.5 miles per gallon in that time.

No faults to report, got a tyre pressure warning light which turned out to be a real puncture but otherwise it hasn't even blown a light bulb. Services are at 9000 miles and I've had to top the oil up twice, once at 14k and this morning, both occasions a pint put the level back to the top mark on the dipstick which considering it uses 5/40 oil is pretty good! Tyres are still showing around 4mm of tread.

Comments from other people have been overwhelmingly positive, even Gordon Murray (yes, that Gordon Murray) was all over it when he came to see us.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Reactions: melandat

·
Registered
534 Posts
Reactions: zvezdah1

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts
43.5mpg(Imp) is still very impressive. That’s 36.3mpg(US) or 6.5L/100km.

We’re not getting anything like that with our Abarth 124. We’re falling about 12% short of that number.

Our MX5 RF 2.0 GT is matching those numbers though.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You can blame my daily commute for that. About 2 miles of normal traffic then 43 miles of 70-80 mph motorway. Then reverse that for the trip home.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hi Jlm, my 50th anniversary edition was 1 year old last week. The cars covered 10700 miles, averaging 41 miles/UK gallon. Have changed the oil and oil filter ever three months. Beyond that there has been no need to top up the engine oil. Last week I also changed the air filter. Didn't really need doing. However, the filter is inexpensive. Also, it's a quick and simple job. About one month ago the roof liner dropped, partially obscuring the rear window. I tucked it back in. So far it's held. I'm aware others have had this experience. Checked with my main dealer. They told me they had no experience of this fault and Fiat had not issued any service bulletin. If it happens again I'll review the matter.

Been very pleased with the car and happy to recommend it.

Safe and fun motoring,
Martin

1 - 9 of 9 Posts