Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
The online (and/or offline) version of the MX-5 service manual for the ND MX-5 has come in very handy for us 124 Spider owners, but ideally we should be referring to a manual for the Spider. Has anyone found a link/source for a Fiat manual?

I thought of this today while wondering what the connector is for leading to (and plugged in) what should be a rear fog lamp, only I have a Classica which shouldn't have fog lights. First thing that comes to mind is that there is nothing on the other end of that (Mazda) harness. Inquiring minds need to know the answers to these questions ;)
This is a picture of the connection to what the Spider service manual calls the "rear fog lamp bulb." I hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
958 Posts
Here is the information on the Front Fog Lamps.

FOG LAMP ASSEMBLY

REMOVAL

1.Disconnect and isolate the negative battery cable.

2.Remove the front wheelhouse splash shield. (Refer to 23 - Body/Exterior/SHIELD, Splash/Removal and Installation) .

3.Disconnect the electrical connector (1) from the fog lamp.

4.Release the wiring retainers (2a) and remove the screws (2b).

5.Release the wiring retainer (1a) and remove the screws (1b).

6.Remove the screw (1a) and release the foglamp from the retainers (1b).

INSTALLATION

1.Position and secure the fog lamp to the housing.

2.Connect the wiring harness electrical connector to the fog lamp.

3.Install the front wheelhouse splash shield. (Refer to 23 - Body/Exterior/SHIELD, Splash/Removal and Installation) .

4.Connect the negative battery cable.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
This is a picture of the connection to what the Spider service manual calls the "rear fog lamp bulb." I hope this helps.
Thank you John. Someone else mentioned that it is real obvious where a hole for the socket is drilled out, as shown in your photo, and the harness which is stuck into a clip would be plugged into that socket to create the rear foglight.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
When I look at that original diagram posted in this thread, it appears to point to the bulb socket for the backup (reverse) light, not a fog light. As for a service manual, I don't know of a free one available online. I was able to find a .pdf of the Owner's Manaul, but for a Service Manual, I ended up purchasing it on USB from the MOPAR Tech Authority. That will set you back a couple hundred bucks, and some crazy shipping fees (it's a credit card sized USB card, and instead of using an envelope, they pack it in something the size of a lunch box and then you pay UPS $50 to get it shipped to you). Because I intend on retaining my vehicle for the long run, I decided that the Service Manual and Electrical Manual were both good investments for future service and support work. But I digress....

I have modified my vehicle to add functional, switch controlled rear fog lights, and here's some info to help you down that path...

The centre part of the lighting assembly is the socket for the reverse light. The fog lights would be to the left and right of that, but in the North American models, they aren't pre-drilled sockets. If you check on BillaVista's site, he has a great article that talks about adding a flashing brake light to those locations. I used his info to obtain the materials and perform the installation and wiring to set it up for rear fogs instead. Here's the link to his site: BillaVista Flashing Brake Light Install

In the trunk pan, towards the back of the vehicle, there are a couple of plastic gromets. I slit one of these to run the wiring up from the rear lighting assembly, and then used black silicone sealant to completely close and seal the gromet/wiring entry point against water penetration. I then ran the wiring up along the left side of the vehicle towards the passenger compartment. Now in the case of those of you in the UK, you'll want to run it up along whichever side your interior fuse panel is located on... running the wiring under the plastic sill plate to get there. Because I am not great at actually tieing in my electrical connections, I got my dealership to install the illuminated switch I purcahsed. That switch is mounted in the space just above the hood (bonnet) release. The following photos are of my modified light housing and the switch in the cabin that controls them (sorry, don't know why the switch photo is rotated clockwise by 90 degrees):

21 - 25 of 25 Posts