Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always been able to track orders as I recently did with my Corvette, the Porsche before that, etc. but it seems there is no such option for FCA, or is there? The dealer I purchased it from told me that until they get a VIN# they cannot track it but the car was ordered by them in September 2016 and I have the Vehicle Order Number (VON), which is 37563631. I searched online and it appears they used to have a system named VOTS where you could track an order if one had the VIN or VON but it does not work for me. If anyone has information that I can use please post. And I contact FCA via email and they told me to contact the dealer.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I can't speak for the U.S., but my local dealer here in Sydney (Australia) was able to track the whereabouts of my car prior to its arrival.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just called Fiat Customer Assistance and they could not provide any information and told me to contact the dealer; however, they cannot change the name on the order to mine so I guess I will just have to wait patiently.

·
Super Moderator
956 Posts
Bob, if it offers any comfort to you, it seems like there is this period after the ship arrives in Baltimore that the cars are entirely "off the radar". I had told my dealer what my first and second choices were and then there was no word for about six weeks. At some point I was told the car was in San Antonio, but it became a matter of them putting cars on trucks and waiting until they arrived in Austin to see what had arrived. Delivery seems to be a random event. It wasn't until the truck arrived that they knew for sure what they had. There is very little communication between distribution and dealer.
Coming from a "make to order" manufacturing career, I'm amazed at this. The length of time that the end-item is in the pipeline, and invisible, is incredible! When we ordered material it was tracked down to the day it hit the dock.
I guess the car business is structured to tolerate all this, but it seems ridiculous to me.

Pete

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, the dealer told me that they had no idea of when it would arrive so it was my choice but every other make I have ordered was able to be tracked more easily, and precisely. Maybe it has to do with the 124 being so new and that they are trying to spread them around. I also noticed on the Priced Order Confirmation (POC) sheet for the car, which they gave me, it shows the Preferred Scheduling (Shipping) Period (PSP) is 05/2, which I think means the second week of May so if true I still have a long time to wait! I am keeping my fingers crossed that since it was a "Sold Order" and currently shows the Status of "D" (Firm Schedule serial number is assigned) it may be given a higher priority than a regular dealer order.

·
Registered
205 Posts
A large part of the lack of transparency is so that you can't see if there's a hold placed on your order at any given time.

Even when your VON converts to VIN, the vehicle can still be held for faults in testing, panel replacement due to in-system damage, yard-held for a potential manufacturing defect whilst root causes are chased down...

Knowing any of those things to happen would detract from your experience getting to delivery, so it's best for the manufacturer to leave you in the dark. That's why my alternate suggestion in the other thread was to find someone that's worked in assembly at an FCA facility.
Even as a manufacturing employee, I don't have access to the VON completion plan because I've never worked in assembly.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If other manufacturers are able to provide their customers the ability to track an ordered vehicle then they all should. FCA used to allow it via their VOTS but that stopped working in the past and it was never fixed so you are probably correct in some respects that they may not want customers to see it all, but again, GM, Ford, BMW, etc. all allow it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If other manufacturers are able to provide their customers the ability to track an ordered vehicle then they all should. FCA used to allow it via their VOTS but that stopped working in the past and it was never fixed so you are probably correct in some respects that they may not want customers to see it all, but again, GM, Ford, BMW, etc. all allow it.
Any word yet on your delivery? I ask because I intend to purchase a vehicle with options that are not available on any of the lots nearby (Manual Lusso with saddle brown interior and premium package), and I was wondering just how long does it take to get a custom order delivered, from the day you put in your deposit.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Any word yet on your delivery? I ask because I intend to purchase a vehicle with options that are not available on any of the lots nearby (Manual Lusso with saddle brown interior and premium package), and I was wondering just how long does it take to get a custom order delivered, from the day you put in your deposit.
I ordered mine October 12 2016. (Manual Abarth, Pearl White, Red and Black Leather Interior, Lux Package) The dealer says that the car will be delivered at the end of this month. He doesn't have a VIN yet, so I will believe it when I see it. My expectation is late June / early July, any sooner than that would be a bonus.

If you do order one, it looks like a 9 or 10 month wait for the 2017's. I don't know if the wait time will improve for the 2018's.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I ordered mine October 12 2016. (Manual Abarth, Pearl White, Red and Black Leather Interior, Lux Package) The dealer says that the car will be delivered at the end of this month. He doesn't have a VIN yet, so I will believe it when I see it. My expectation is late June / early July, any sooner than that would be a bonus.

If you do order one, it looks like a 9 or 10 month wait for the 2017's. I don't know if the wait time will improve for the 2018's.
Thanks for sharing the info. And nice specs on your build! The dealer initially said 4-6 weeks, but I knew they were exaggerating seeing as how these cars need to ship out from Japan. Hope you get your baby soon!

·
Registered
1,162 Posts

Wow. This is probably the definition of patience.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Wow. This is probably the definition of patience.
The wait has given me a chance to slowly buy stuff for the car without alarming the wife. Now that the weather is getting better, I am looking to get the car as soon as possible.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Still waiting and no changes to the order status; however, as per the POC it should be built in a week or so and the VIN# assigned. Based on what many have said I expect it at the end of July, or maybe early August.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Went to the dealership today to put in an order (Manual red Lusso, saddle brown interior, and prem. package) and was told that they are no longer taking in orders for the 2017 models (as of 2 weeks ago). I put in order nonetheless for the 2018's, just to get the ball officially rolling.

Will keep you guys posted on my progress. Hope the others post their status here too.

On a side note, I was informed at the dealership that one major cause of delay (at least for the Abarths, was that the plant ran our out brembo brakes).

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Brembo brakes are on option on the Abarth models and from what I understand less than half of them have them so non-Brembo cars would not be affected.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just put in an order for a 2018 Abarth, manual with the Brembos and the Convenience package. I was told it would be late fall or winter until the car arrived. The dealer didn't seem to have any way of giving a better guess than that.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Went to the dealership today to put in an order (Manual red Lusso, saddle brown interior, and prem. package) and was told that they are no longer taking in orders for the 2017 models (as of 2 weeks ago). I put in order nonetheless for the 2018's, just to get the ball officially rolling...
As far as I know FCA stopped taking orders for 2017s last October. (Per my dealer) Cars ordered last October were for May/June delivery. It seems like my dealer was telling the truth, I ordered mine last October and I still don't have it. We are hoping for the end of this month or sometime next month. They are not sure where the car is, they are hoping it is in Baltimore.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I have found FCA/MOPAR to operate in a manner consistent with early mail order houses. When they first offered the Service Manual, I ordered one on CD. It took quite a while to process the order and ship. I heard nothing from them. When it arrived, it was incomplete, leaving out important information that was labeled as "work in process." When I contacted them, all they said was return it. I ended up paying for the shipping, because their supposed pick up service did not work. They never notified me when a revised version was available, and did not send a replacement. I found out that they were available through a post on this forum. When I ordered the completed manual, they sent it without any communication. When I asked if they had processed a refund the sent me this email.

"Thank you for contacting Mopar’s TechAuthority regarding the status of your refund for order number MTA$$$$$$$9.

In response to your inquiry, we attached the email chain which includes information that we would send replacement CD item # 81-270-17084-CD (2017 FIAT 124 Spider Service Information CD) once it became available instead of processing a refund.

Unfortunately, your account history does not show that the replacement CD was sent and that you placed new order MTA$$$$$$$9 for item 81-270-17084-CD on 5/6/17.

We are working on a resolution to your refund request. Your email has been forwarded to the proper area for review and we will contact you with a resolution within 2 business days.

If you have any other questions, or if we can be of further assistance, please call us at 1-800-890-4038, Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m., Eastern Standard Time.

Sincerely,
Joan M.
Mopar’s TechAuthority"

I have had far superior, 21st century, service when ordering items from China, eastern Europe and third world countries than I have with FCA/MOPAR. They really need to upgrade their parts and accessories service.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts