Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an appt this week to get the tri-color stripes done on my white Abarth. This may sound like a silly question, but what is the preferred way of orienting the stripes, as you're standing outside looking at the car, or as if you're inside driving the car? The reason I ask is, I painted the tail light inserts, so if you're looking at the car from the back, they go green - white - red, just like the Italian flag. If I was to have the stripes done this way to the front, if you're standing in front of the car, they'd be reversed to red - white - green, if you're looking at them left to right. If you're inside the car looking at the front, they'd still be correct left to right. I'd rather not switch the orientation of the stripes and have them different on the front compared to the back.

Right now, since I have the tail light inserts painted green - white - red, I'm thinking of having the stripes oriented that way from back to front. They won't be correct left to right if you're outside looking at the car from the front, but they will be correct if you're inside looking over the hood.

Any thoughts or comments?

· Registered
348 Posts
I'd match the inserts that are already painted, if it were my car it would drive me crazy if they didn't match up. And the only view that matters is yours anyway. ;)

· Registered
906 Posts
It's your car so you need to do what pleases your eye.
But when you search the style stripe that you are going for its Green White Red from the front view of the car.
Red White Green Horizontal is the flag of Hungary.
I'm not sure of a country that has Red Green White vertical stripes though.

Attachments

· Registered
840 Posts
Don't forget to post a picture... Considering doing something similar.

· Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
It's your car so you need to do what pleases your eye.
But when you search the style stripe that you are going for its Green White Red from the front view of the car.
Red White Green Horizontal is the flag of Hungary.
I'm not sure of a country that has Red Green White vertical stripes though.
Thanks, that's what I was afraid of, lol! It's all good though, I think I'm going to orient the stripes so they match the tail light inserts, which means, compared to your picture, they're going to be reversed when looking at them from the front. I'll just say they're correct when you're inside driving the car, lol! I've had to reschedule this appointment three times already because of weather. I think I'm going to ask them if I can drop it off on Tue (my appt is Thu, rain in the forecast for Wed and Thu) and pick it up on Fri. They have a fairly large inside bay, so the car will be kept out of the elements.

Just thought of something else. I painted the front tow hook cover green - white -red, so if I go with my original plan, the stripes won't match that. Depending on how bad my CDO is (for me, I'm beyond OCD, the letters have to be in alphabetical order, lol), I just might do what I didn't want to do, and that's reverse the stripes on the back, so they match the tail light inserts. That way, if you're looking at the car from the front or back, the stripes will be green - white - red.

· Registered
840 Posts
If you look at the Lamborghini Tricolore or some of the Ferrari striped cars, you can see a trend toward Green-White-Red when looking at the car from the front.

Maybe that would work?
I think the second Ferrrari pic makes sense. You read the words "Fiat" or "Abarth" on the badge left to right so the stripes should "Read" that way too. Problem is that it it is correct on the hood, it is incorrect on the trunk as the badge has opposite orientation.

Reactions: sdlynx

· Registered
1,642 Posts
I think the second Ferrrari pic makes sense. You read the words "Fiat" or "Abarth" on the badge left to right so the stripes should "Read" that way too. Problem is that it it is correct on the hood, it is incorrect on the trunk as the badge has opposite orientation.
True, but look at a flag flying...the colors are 'backwards'. Looking at the back of a car, the colors will appear to be in the opposite direction, because you are looking at the 'flag' from behind.

· Registered
906 Posts
Thanks, that's what I was afraid of, lol! It's all good though, I think I'm going to orient the stripes so they match the tail light inserts, which means, compared to your picture, they're going to be reversed when looking at them from the front. I'll just say they're correct when you're inside driving the car, lol! I've had to reschedule this appointment three times already because of weather. I think I'm going to ask them if I can drop it off on Tue (my appt is Thu, rain in the forecast for Wed and Thu) and pick it up on Fri. They have a fairly large inside bay, so the car will be kept out of the elements.

Just thought of something else. I painted the front tow hook cover green - white -red, so if I go with my original plan, the stripes won't match that. Depending on how bad my CDO is (for me, I'm beyond OCD, the letters have to be in alphabetical order, lol), I just might do what I didn't want to do, and that's reverse the stripes on the back, so they match the tail light inserts. That way, if you're looking at the car from the front or back, the stripes will be green - white - red.
I'm OCD aswell and when something looks off it bugs me until its fixed.
I think the tail light inserts are subtle enough not to conflict with the strip being opposite in the back.
the front of of the car would make more sense having the correct orientation.
Are you considering the chin lip and mirrors as well?
If you are i would do Green White Red from the front.
Which ever way you go I think it will look great and will be unique to your car.

· Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Since the stripes won't be on the roof, I would orient them Green-White-Red on both the hood and the trunk lid, as you won't see the switch over.
That's what I'm leaning towards...that way, whether you're looking at the front or rear of the car, it'll be green - white - red, and they'll match the tow hook cover and tail light inserts...plus, it will make it easy for the shop to remember how they go, lol...

So I added this very rudimentary picture of how I think I'm going to get the stripes put on. The bottom is the front of the car, the black section is the top, and the top of the picture is the back of the car. So starting at the bottom, as you're looking at the front of the car, the stripes will be in the correct order of green - white - red. At the top, as you're looking at the car from the back, the stripes are reversed, so they'll be in the correct order of green - white -red. The orientation on the front will match the tow hook cover I painted g-w-r, and reversing it for the back will match the g-w-r I painted on the tail light inserts.

Attachments

· Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Finally got the green and red stripes put on today. If you're looking at the car from the front or back, they're oriented the correct way of green - white - red. This way, they'll match the front tow hook cover that I painted g-w-r, and the tail light inserts that I painted g-w-r. The green and red stripes are about 2.5" wide, and when you add that same width for the white body stripe, the three stripes combined fill the space between the two inner lines on the hood bubbles. I think the shop used the Abarth badges as their reference, and it turned out really good.

It was funny, when I left the shop, I was stopped at a light in the left turn lane. There were numerous drivers that either went past me or turned in front of me that rubbernecked to see the car, lol!

Attachments

· Registered
798 Posts
Finally got the green and red stripes put on today. If you're looking at the car from the front or back, they're oriented the correct way of green - white - red. This way, they'll match the front tow hook cover that I painted g-w-r, and the tail light inserts that I painted g-w-r. The green and red stripes are about 2.5" wide, and when you add that same width for the white body stripe, the three stripes combined fill the space between the two inner lines on the hood bubbles. I think the shop used the Abarth badges as their reference, and it turned out really good.

It was funny, when I left the shop, I was stopped at a light in the left turn lane. There were numerous drivers that either went past me or turned in front of me that rubbernecked to see the car, lol!
Looks really nice!

· Registered
906 Posts

Looks really nice.
Definitely a head turner.

· Registered
2,090 Posts
Get used to it. I don’t know what it is about a little splash of paint, it really draws outside interest. I really like the the result. I’m glad you kept the orientation correct front and back. Looking forward to pictures of your next mod.

Dan

· Registered
10 Posts
Finally got the green and red stripes put on today. If you're looking at the car from the front or back, they're oriented the correct way of green - white - red. This way, they'll match the front tow hook cover that I painted g-w-r, and the tail light inserts that I painted g-w-r. The green and red stripes are about 2.5" wide, and when you add that same width for the white body stripe, the three stripes combined fill the space between the two inner lines on the hood bubbles. I think the shop used the Abarth badges as their reference, and it turned out really good. It was funny, when I left the shop, I was stopped at a light in the left turn lane. There were numerous drivers that either went past me or turned in front of me that rubbernecked to see the car, lol!
I thought of only putting green in the tail light inserts as the white car and the red tail light represent the other colors of the flag.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts