Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just replaced the original gear knob as the steel insert with the shift pattern layout had lifted slightly and was no longer flush with the leather leaving a slightly rough/sharp edge. The new item from 124 Spider UK has been milled from what appears to be solid aluminium leaving a beautiful high quality satin finish that along with the shape, is very tactile and a joy to use. It cost £50 including delivery and is a direct replacement for the original. Although this may seem completely implausible, it has made the shift itself smoother as its more precise than the more cumbersome original. Overall I'm delighted with the item and would highly recommended it if anyone is looking to replace their original gear knob.

Car Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design
Vehicle Steering part Steering wheel Car Motor vehicle

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
Perfect fit and look...Well Done.. Cheers
ron

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
This is one of the great things (among many) that makes Spider ownership fun. We can customize them to our heart's content, and shift knobs is one of the easier items. If you do some searching here, you'll find a thread in which many of us showed what we've installed in our vehicles. There is no "right" or "wrong", merely what suits your particular taste. To give you a sampler, here's what I've got in my Spider... please excuse the dust. lol
Gear shift Vehicle Car Automotive design Motor vehicle
Car Speedometer Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
Abarth 124 Spider in Isola d'Elba Blue with Heritage Pack
91 Posts
A heads up, that aluminium gear knob, or at least, very similar ones, can be picked up on AliExpress for considerably cheaper (approx. £10-15). May be worth a look for those of us who don't have particularly deep pockets.

·
Registered
2017 124 Classica
268 Posts
A heads up, that aluminium gear knob, or at least, very similar ones, can be picked up on AliExpress for considerably cheaper (approx. £10-15). May be worth a look for those of us who don't have particularly deep pockets.
One thing to be careful of with cheap gear knobs is that most aren't threaded to specific sizes. Instead they include "nylon" (plastic) sizing inserts that make them "universal fit", or use set screws for the same purpose. Typically that kind of knob fits loosely or falls off promptly while driving. Even if you get them right they don't often stay tight.

Best to make sure your knob had real threads, either cut directly or via a brass insert. 124 is m10x1.25 size which is extremely common.

·
Registered
2017 124 Classica
268 Posts
That one threads into the knob, but mounts to the shaft with a set screw if you look closely. Fine if you don't mind the knob falling off in your hand, and the Chinesium set screw stripping out after you've tightened it for the fifteenth time.

You CAN be lucky with that type but it's not recommended over an actual properly threaded knob.

·
Registered
91 Posts
That one threads into the knob, but mounts to the shaft with a set screw if you look closely. Fine if you don't mind the knob falling off in your hand, and the Chinesium set screw stripping out after you've tightened it for the fifteenth time.

You CAN be lucky with that type but it's not recommended over an actual properly threaded knob.
There's an entire raft of them on AliExpress - that hyperlink was to a product page, but if you navigate to the right, you'll see lots of different ones. (y)

·
Registered
2017 124 Classica
268 Posts
There's an entire raft of them on AliExpress - that hyperlink was to a product page, but if you navigate to the right, you'll see lots of different ones. (y)
I've been there and done that :) ... Admittedly there is no need to spend $100 or $150 on a shift knob, which was the point of this post. But you can get good ones without shipping from China that are properly made for less than that if you shop around. You won't be waiting 6 months for the factory to find a container to load it on, and then another 6-12 weeks for it to slowly meander its way around the world, etc.

I've ordered from AliExpress before, but with the world shipping situation like it is... it's not worth the hassle for something of low quality that can be ordered with local/national stock more easily.

Reactions: Arthur

·
Registered
91 Posts
I've been there and done that :) ... Admittedly there is no need to spend $100 or $150 on a shift knob, which was the point of this post. But you can get good ones without shipping from China that are properly made for less than that if you shop around. You won't be waiting 6 months for the factory to find a container to load it on, and then another 6-12 weeks for it to slowly meander its way around the world, etc.

I've ordered from AliExpress before, but with the world shipping situation like it is... it's not worth the hassle for something of low quality that can be ordered with local/national stock more easily.
That's fair enough. :D I wonder if it's different experience when shipping to the USA? I have ordered four separate things from AliExpress in the last month, using their bog-standard AliExpress Shipping option, and in my experience, it has been a breeze. In fact, on this standard shipping option, all four items arrived within 2-3 weeks, which I felt was very speedy. Even my famed yellow wheel caps were from AliExpress, and they've not perished yet, so it can't all be bad. ;)

·
Premium Member
2020 Fiat 124 Abarth, manual, Chiaro Silver, visability, navigation, convenience packages, brembos
97 Posts
This is one of the great things (among many) that makes Spider ownership fun. We can customize them to our heart's content, and shift knobs is one of the easier items. If you do some searching here, you'll find a thread in which many of us showed what we've installed in our vehicles. There is no "right" or "wrong", merely what suits your particular taste. To give you a sampler, here's what I've got in my Spider... please excuse the dust. lol
View attachment 87715 View attachment 87716
Looks amazing. Any chance you can post that artwork/schematics again CDPond? Went looking for your old post on your shift knob upgrade but the links no longer operate. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
Looks amazing. Any chance you can post that artwork/schematics again CDPond? Went looking for your old post on your shift knob upgrade but the links no longer operate. Thanks.
Just remember, CravenSpeed won't laser engrave logos anymore, only the gear shift pattern. So my recommendation would be to safe some cash, and have whoever you get locally to laser engrave your caps for you to do the entire thing in one shot. That way everything will be aligned nicely There's no point in paying CravenSpeed to perform part of the work, and then still have to pay someone else to add the scorpion to it.
Facial expression Font Organism Circle Symmetry
Automotive lighting Rim Font Clock Guitar accessory

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
That's fair enough. :D I wonder if it's different experience when shipping to the USA? I have ordered four separate things from AliExpress in the last month, using their bog-standard AliExpress Shipping option, and in my experience, it has been a breeze. In fact, on this standard shipping option, all four items arrived within 2-3 weeks, which I felt was very speedy. Even my famed yellow wheel caps were from AliExpress, and they've not perished yet, so it can't all be bad. ;)
My experience from Canada has been that shipping from Ali these days is a bit of a coin toss. For a while last year, it took forever to get anything from them. This year, I'm seeing it varies dramatically from seller to seller. Somehow they can get rates from DHL for rapid shipping at costs that I'd have no prayer of obtaining personally from this end. So, short story is that some items will ship and arrive within a couple of weeks, others still take months to show up. Additionally, I'm now seeing a lot of the stuff that's sold on Ali now being sold by Chinese resellers on Amazon. Once again, shipping, even with Amazon, can still be a long wait if the item is coming from the Middle Kingdom.

·
Premium Member
2020 Fiat 124 Abarth, manual, Chiaro Silver, visability, navigation, convenience packages, brembos
97 Posts
Understood. Many thanks.

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
My experience from Canada has been that shipping from Ali these days is a bit of a coin toss. For a while last year, it took forever to get anything from them. This year, I'm seeing it varies dramatically from seller to seller. Somehow they can get rates from DHL for rapid shipping at costs that I'd have no prayer of obtaining personally from this end. So, short story is that some items will ship and arrive within a couple of weeks, others still take months to show up. Additionally, I'm now seeing a lot of the stuff that's sold on Ali now being sold by Chinese resellers on Amazon. Once again, shipping, even with Amazon, can still be a long wait if the item is coming from the Middle Kingdom.
Calvain I order most of the stuff either Amazon or Aliexpress. Ebay less and less.
Aliexpress they have improved their shipping, but If an item exceeds the days I open a dispute to get reimbursed. If I get Item before Dispute ends, I will drop the dispute cause I received the item, but If I get after I keep the Item and 99% so far they Reimbursed me.

Amazon, no hastle
Ebay, I don't trust them as much as I did, but If deal is OK, I will buy from them.

Reactions: CDPond

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
Calvain I order most of the stuff either Amazon or Aliexpress. Ebay less and less.
Aliexpress they have improved their shipping, but If an item exceeds the days I open a dispute to get reimbursed. If I get Item before Dispute ends, I will drop the dispute cause I received the item, but If I get after I keep the Item and 99% so far they Reimbursed me.
Amazon, no hastle
Ebay, I don't trust them as much as I did, but If deal is OK, I will buy from them.
Yup.... no arguments there. I use Ali a heck of a lot as well, I'm just noting what I'd seen as shifts in delivery periods compared to pre-COVID conditions. They have, in general, significantly improved from what it was like last year, but I still find it slower than 2019 and earlier. Curious... do the orders for Montreal come in via Vancouver, or do they take the roundabout path with the containers and come in via the St. Lawrence and into your back yard? And eBay... pretty much irrelevant to me now, and I can't remember the last time I bought via that site. Amazon gets a lot of my money because I love the Prime shipping terms. What I can certainly recommend not buying from is the WalMart site. Long story, but my advice is just not to use them. In store is great, but their website ordering can be brutal for delivery times, and returns even worse.

My apologies to the OP for hijacking the conversation thread for a bit...

·
Registered
617 Posts
Shift knobs....I think I have at least four of them here....Hate the pistol grip style the car came with.
Tried a couple large metal ones -- Way too big, hot in the summer and cold in the winter -- No go!

Tried a traditional wood knob, love the look and size....But just didn't feel right.

Finally found one I like....

Yup....an ND knob. Perfect.

·
Registered
515 Posts
^^^ Agree
I (actually my wife) painted the insert red:
Vehicle Steering part Car Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

Reactions: Bob T
1 - 18 of 18 Posts