Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my Abarth the indicator of external temperature is not performing well: it's very slow to read the outside temp and sometime the indications are not exact.
When I leave my home (where the car sits at 15°C) and the outside temp in in the 0°C area it may take even 20/30 minutes driving before the indicator drops to 0°.
This also affects the functioning of the internal climate control.

How does your indicator performs?

·
Registered
958 Posts
There is an earlier thread on this issue that you might want to read.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
In my Abarth the indicator of external temperature is not performing well: it's very slow to read the outside temp and sometime the indications are not exact.
When I leave my home (where the car sits at 15°C) and the outside temp in in the 0°C area it may take even 20/30 minutes driving before the indicator drops to 0°.
This also affects the functioning of the internal climate control.

How does your indicator performs?
I think the outside temp has some jet lag problem in the Spider:confused::confused:. I am driving a Cherokee Patriot and the outside temp doesn't lag. As I step outside it starts adjusting to real temp.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks, very useful.
It's exactly what happens to me, so I'll avoid going to the service because I understand they won't solve it!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
this issue is making me crazy...yesterday my gauge took 30km. drive to display the correct outside temperature: it was indicating 16° (temperature of the garage) while there was -2°, and for all the 30km. the climate control was blowing cold air!
This MUST be fixed, any ideas?

·
Registered
351 Posts
this issue is making me crazy...yesterday my gauge took 30km. drive to display the correct outside temperature: it was indicating 16° (temperature of the garage) while there was -2°, and for all the 30km. the climate control was blowing cold air!
This MUST be fixed, any ideas?
I'm confused. The outside temperature display has nothing to do with the inside temperature. Once the engine warms up you can get all the hot air in the cabin you want.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No, if I adjust the cabin temperature at a value which is similar to the outside indication it blows cold air, to have warm air I must settle a much higher cabin temperature (ex. 24/26°), but I should make it manually, and then come back to 19° once the outside gauge indicator goes precise.
The cabin temperature management is affected from outside temp.
As soon as the indication goes precise (yesterday it was -2°) everything starts working fine.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Where is the temperature sensor located. maybe needs to be mored.

·
Registered
351 Posts
No, if I adjust the cabin temperature at a value which is similar to the outside indication it blows cold air, to have warm air I must settle a much higher cabin temperature (ex. 24/26°), but I should make it manually, and then come back to 19° once the outside gauge indicator goes precise.
The cabin temperature management is affected from outside temp.
As soon as the indication goes precise (yesterday it was -2°) everything starts working fine.
I'm still confused. Set the inside temperature to be whatever you want, regardless of the outside temp.

The problem may be with the interior temperature sensor if it's not holding the temperature you want. The outside one (which is mounted behind the grille, as I understand) is irrelevant to that. It's just information and doesn't affect anything else. I still don't understand what your actual problem is.

·
Retired Moderator
676 Posts
I'm still confused. Set the inside temperature to be whatever you want, regardless of the outside temp.

The problem may be with the interior temperature sensor if it's not holding the temperature you want. The outside one (which is mounted behind the grille, as I understand) is irrelevant to that. It's just information and doesn't affect anything else. I still don't understand what your actual problem is.
I agree with Tom...Inside temperature has its own sensor and works independently of the ambient outside temp mounted behind the grill..

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry if I'm insisting, the climate control works with both sensors, outside and inside.
In my car this is very clear and evident: until when the indication of the outside temp is wrong the climate system blows cold air. In the exact moment that the indication becomes correct (between 10 to 30 minutes after starting to drive) it starts blowing warm air, and everything goes ok.
This is not depending from the engine temperature, it's just depending on the outside temp indicator.
When the indication is wrong if I want warm air I must set the climate control to a very high value (24/26 at least).

According to technical specs manual, the sensor is located in front of the radiator, somewhere behind the bumper.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Sorry if I'm insisting, the climate control works with both sensors, outside and inside.
In my car this is very clear and evident: until when the indication of the outside temp is wrong the climate system blows cold air. In the exact moment that the indication becomes correct (between 10 to 30 minutes after starting to drive) it starts blowing warm air, and everything goes ok.
This is not depending from the engine temperature, it's just depending on the outside temp indicator.
When the indication is wrong if I want warm air I must set the climate control to a very high value (24/26 at least).

According to technical specs manual, the sensor is located in front of the radiator, somewhere behind the bumper.
I guess I don't have any insights or recommendations, then, since what you're saying should be impossible. The external temperature sensor isn't connected to anything and shouldn't make any difference at all. Whatever you're seeing would seem to be simply coincidental. Perhaps you should take it in to your dealer and let them sort it out. Sorry I can't be of more help.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
already gone, they've no idea on the issue. But they confirmed that the outside temp sensor is involved in climate.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I've often wondered if someone on the assembly line didn't leave a protective cap on the temp sensors when installing them. That would pretty much cause the issues we are seeing.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts