Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI All, 2 weeks ago I had the dealership change my oil (only oil and filter change) when leaving I accelerated hard for a couple of seconds when I backed off to slow down the car backfired. After that it ran poorly, when I stepped on the gas it bucked, (slow fast slow fast) definite power loss etc... The check engine light came on. It was a code P0301. I reached out to Chris at Eurocompulsion for help. He provided me with an explanation of the code (misfire cylinder 1) and causes. There are numerous items which could cause this problem, loose connections, fouled spark plugs, ignition coils, overfilled oil etc…). Based on the information, I ran through the items on the list. I wasn't able to complete the list but all the information I had about the ignition coil pointed to it since the spark plug looked ok and all the connections were secure. I reached out to Chris and ordered a set of NGEN coils. This was Saturday afternoon and I travel on Sundays for work so I left the vehicle parked at home.

I returned home on Friday evening and replaced the coils. On Saturday, the car ran great as I was running short trips (errands). In the afternoon, I had a longer trip to make and about 10 miles into the trip it began misfiring again, power loss and the engine light went on. This time it threw code P0302. Now it was cylinder 2 with new NGEN coils. I returned home. I reviewed the list again and the overfilled oil caught my attention as this problem started after the oil change done at the dealership. I checked the oil level. I found it to be 1/2” above the full line on the dipstick. I’ve read these engines are very sensitive to more oil than called for in the specs, basically it is better to run them with less than full oil then overfilled.

On the first day of the issue, I checked everything the dealer did except check the oil level as in my stupidity I assumed they wouldn't overfill it! How wrong I was. I returned the car to stock (Phase 1 map removed stock map installed) and dropped it off at the dealership. They replaced all the fouled plugs, added a new ignition coil, performed a PCM update and they drained the excess oil so now it is slightly underfilled. When I challenged the excess oil causing the problem I was told it wasn't overfilled enough to cause the problem. Yea!!!

In summary, if you have someone else change your oil check it before leaving the establishment as this caused a major pain in the ass!!

A huge THANK YOU to Chris at Eurocompulsion as he provided EXCELLENT support and went above and beyond to help me resolve this issue. Thanks Chris

·
Administrator
1,954 Posts
People ask me why I bother changing my own oil. Stories like this are exactly the reason why. People who can't read simple instructions for oil fill capacity or drain torque spec.

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
I have a shop (not a dealership) that I have do all of my routine maintenance. I give them exactly how much oil I want put in the car.

I'd do my own oil changes but I don't have the facilities at my condo.

·
Registered
708 Posts
dave755:

Half an inch on the dipstick is a huge overfill. Sure it would foul plugs. And you bet your bottom dollar the dealer and/or tech will never admit it's their fault. I'll guarantee they submitted a warranty claim to FCA, without mentioning the over fill. What does your receipt/paper work for the repair say they did? Just curious..

·
Banned
425 Posts
Sad really. How can you trust them to do any serious work. It is like my grandmother always said. "If you want to get sick, go to the doctor, if you want to die, go to the hospital."

·
Registered
231 Posts
... I checked the oil level. I found it to be 1/2” above the full line on the dipstick...

...In summary, if you have someone else change your oil check it before leaving the establishment as this caused a major pain in the ass!!...

Chris
Ouch! Sorry for that hassle and a half but thanks for telling us. Was this a Fiat/Alfa dealer? Man, there's just no excuse for screwing-up something as routine as an oil change.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Bummer, sorry to read of this.

I'm no shadetree mechanic but I always change my own oil. My thought, any other maintenance/repair goof a pro mechanic can make likely won't grenade the engine (well, a timing belt screw up could, I guess), but over/underfilling the oil, and over/undertighteneing the drain plug or oil filter can cause things get expensive really fast. I'll do it myself, where taking the time to allow full drainage, and to triple check everything when I'm done costs me nothing but a little extra time.

Steve.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Ouch! Sorry for that hassle and a half but thanks for telling us. Was this a Fiat/Alfa dealer? Man, there's just no excuse for screwing-up something as routine as an oil change.
The excuse/reason is that the shop will put its least experienced people on oil changes. My first experience with this was in 1984 when I left the dealer without the oil filler cap. Oil spilling out onto the exhaust manifold clued me in to the problem on the drive home. Anyway, it is not "routine" for the new guy who has never done one before.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
dave755:

Half an inch on the dipstick is a huge overfill. Sure it would foul plugs. And you bet your bottom dollar the dealer and/or tech will never admit it's their fault. I'll guarantee they submitted a warranty claim to FCA, without mentioning the over fill. What does your receipt/paper work for the repair say they did? Just curious..
The paperwork only mentions they drained oil. No specific reason on the workorder as to why they drained it. The first page of the paperwork read "Upon Inspection found PCM update needed". Second page "Verified customer concern. Drained some oil and verified correct oil level". Not specific information very vague. Cheers

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I won't be taking my 124 to a FCA dealership for work. It's ONLY gong to Fiat/Alfa-only dealer service department that works on them every day,not once a month. (and yes I realize that motor is in a Dart too).
Hi Karmatourer, the dealer I go to is a Fiat/Alfa dealer. They only work on Fiats and Alfa's daily. The primary purpose of this thread is to bring attention to not trust the work of the dealerships. CHECK and RE_CHECK yourself before leaving after work is done. Cheers

·
Registered
231 Posts
Hi Karmatourer, the dealer I go to is a Fiat/Alfa dealer. They only work on Fiats and Alfa's daily. The primary purpose of this thread is to bring attention to not trust the work of the dealerships. CHECK and RE_CHECK yourself before leaving after work is done. Cheers
Good point and well taken. If it were me, I'd let that place know I'd be taking future work elsewhere, even if it was my home garage, and maybe let some others up the food chain know about it.

·
Banned
112 Posts
Thanks for sharing your experience. Really a pity that an Alfa/Fiat only dealer failed miserably. I reiterate,I'll only be taking my 124 to an Alfa/Fiat only dealer. In fact,I'll be driving 150 miles roundtrip just to avoid the only Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep/ect/Fiat dealer in town. As an aside,just read the current issue of Car & Driver and they took their long-tern Camaro SS to the dealer for an oil/filter change and they filled the engine 2 QUARTS SHORT of the 10 qts. needed! In fact,oil didn't even register on the dipstick! I always check whatever I can after any service,not just at a dealer.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Complementary oil change and inspection at my local alfa romeo / fiat dealer (dealer I purchased it from) and it was a full quart over filled. Shame in me for not checking that before I drove off! I checked for spills, filter O-ring, EC intake connections and bottom cover bolts, but not the level. Luckily I only drove home and checked it the next day. Not sure you can tell by the pics but it is way up the stick. Maybe 3/4 of an inch past the hatch Mark's. Topside oil extractor did the trick.
e it

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Complementary oil change and inspection at my local alfa romeo / fiat dealer (dealer I purchased it from) and it was a full quart over filled. Shame in me for not checking that before I drove off! I checked for spills, filter O-ring, EC intake connections and bottom cover bolts, but not the level. Luckily I only drove home and checked it the next day. Not sure you can tell by the pics but it is way up the stick. Maybe 3/4 of an inch past the hatch Mark's. Topside oil extractor did the trick. View attachment 74086 View attachment 74087 View attachment 74088 e it
Looks like you got what you paid for. Even if my dealer said they’d pay me to change the oil I’d say no thanks. Seems all FCA dealers suck. Had issues with a Jeep after taking it the dealer. Had to drive 60 miles to another dealer to get everything fixed right. Also paid $1200 to a local VW mechanic to do timing belt on on my daughter’s Passat. Then on her 1400 mile drive back to college the check engine light came on. Keep in mind car had never thrown a CEL in 11 years of ownership. Had to pay another mechanic $400 to fix the CEL.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
With clean oil, I do think you need to pay attention to the dipstick markings. If it’s low, it is relatively easy to see it on the hash marks (obviously, the whole point). If it’s high, it may not be as obvious. This is one reason I completely clean the dipstick of any oil when checking.

these things may seem trivial, but lubrication is a very specific discipline: the motors that I work with require a very specific number of ounces of grease of a very specific type at a very specific interval.

trivial becomes non trivial if you don’t follow the instructions.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts