Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm with my high school senior daughter at the Oklahoma City Car show today... We're enjoying looking at the Subaru's, the Toyotas, and the other brands they have on display at the Fairgrounds. They had tons of new cars to look at, and I was enjoying a little good father and daughter time. with her going to college in the fall I know my time is limited for moments like this.

Everyone's oohing and aahing at the white Abarth they have on display. I'm keeping my distance, knowing that my 2017 Grigio Argento Aluminum Abarth is home in my garage, staying out of this cold, rainy day we're experiencing in Oklahoma today. (I had my daughter drive us today, so we could keep Luigi warm and dry in the garage).

Some guy is checking out the sticker. "Hey Bill," he yells to a guy checking out the taillights. "How much you think they want for this one?"

He thinks for a second, and replies, "$60,000-70,000?"

"Nope," Bill's friend states back... "The sticker says $35,000..."

"Huh," was the reply.

Wwwoooowww.... I thought. You mean there are people that think, when they see me driving around in my Spider, that I paid $70,000 for this thing? Got me thinking about how well designed, and how unique this vehicle is.

Just thought I'd share.

-Eric

·
Registered
57 Posts
I've been asked a few times at various places if I'm driving a Porsche, BMW or Ferrari. It surprises me that people think it's a $50k+ car.

·
Banned
112 Posts
So, I'm with my high school senior daughter at the Oklahoma City Car show today... We're enjoying looking at the Subaru's, the Toyotas, and the other brands they have on display at the Fairgrounds. They had tons of new cars to look at, and I was enjoying a little good father and daughter time. with her going to college in the fall I know my time is limited for moments like this.

Everyone's oohing and aahing at the white Abarth they have on display. I'm keeping my distance, knowing that my 2017 Grigio Argento Aluminum Abarth is home in my garage, staying out of this cold, rainy day we're experiencing in Oklahoma today. (I had my daughter drive us today, so we could keep Luigi warm and dry in the garage).

Some guy is checking out the sticker. "Hey Bill," he yells to a guy checking out the taillights. "How much you think they want for this one?"

He thinks for a second, and replies, "$60,000-70,000?"

"Nope," Bill's friend states back... "The sticker says $35,000..."

"Huh," was the reply.

Wwwoooowww.... I thought. You mean there are people that think, when they see me driving around in my Spider, that I paid $70,000 for this thing? Got me thinking about how well designed, and how unique this vehicle is.

Just thought I'd share.

-Eric
Eric,they're Okies! If it was a farm implement show,their guess would have been spot on.:D

·
Registered
231 Posts
I was browsing the Motor Trend's comparison article this week, where the Spider Abarth came out number 1. Number 2? A $92,910 Porsche Boxster S.

"When it comes to cars, we all have our preferences. We could argue about the relative merits of a turbo engine’s mid-range torque versus a naturally aspirated engine’s instant response. Or whether steering precision is more important than feedback at the wheel. But there’s one thing that you can’t argue with: the power of a smile."

·
Super Moderator
951 Posts
had a similar experience

I've been asked a few times at various places if I'm driving a Porsche, BMW or Ferrari. It surprises me that people think it's a $50k+ car.
I was visiting a friend and his room mate was guessing about the price of my Abarth and he thought it was a $50K car too! He was astounded when I told him what the msrp was. The car simply exudes value. The name "Abarth" is an enigma to 95% of the people I know.
regards,
Pete

·
Banned
425 Posts
I am with you guys in that I love my Abarth including because it appears, drives, and is equipped like it could cost a lot more than it does. However, to anyone evenly mildly familiar with the sports car market, it is obviously a sibling to the Miata whose reputation as the least expensive roadster available is well understood.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Ditto. People gathered around are confounded by the Abarth badge and venture guesses that it is a Porsche or Ferrari model.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Must've been the best feeling ever. That's why when people ask how much the car costs you, you always ask them to guess first ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts