Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys!

First post here so please be gentle with me. I'm currently in the market for either an MX-5 or Abarth 124 here in Australia and researching my best options and what's going to suit me best.

I'm coming from a Toyota 86 which has gone through a lot of modifications and made about 250kw with a turbo system. Very fun.

I'm loving the look of the Abarth 124 as it's interior styling is much better in my opinion to the MX-5. I'm also loving the modification lists available from EC.

My question is, with a budget of 5000+ what's achievable power wise? From reading the forum I'd at first be looking at the EC V4 intake, EC intercooler and tune to suit running 98 RON fuel. From my guess this would put me just about 200whp and around 230wtq (ft lb)? Is this correct? That torque level seems mental for a 1.4 weighing just over 1 tonne!! I will be going automatic over manual.

Will EC be supplying or supporting a turbo upgrade in the future and will the engine itself be able to handle much more? I know very little about the Abarth engine to be honest.

Thanks in advance!

Joey

·
Super Moderator
1,231 Posts
You've got some great choices with upgrade options. More so than the MX5, imo. But something you need to consider is the problem MX5 owners are having with the MT6. The first 145000 or so cars had some bad gears. Mazda was not at all transparent in dealing with the issue while getting a fix into production. Now it seems like they still have an issue, according to their forum.
The 124 MT6 is the NC box, which is strong and slick shifting. This should be considered when comparing the two cars.
Best regards
Pete

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Hi,

The good news is there isn't really a wrong choice here - both cars are great. With that said, we're a biased bunch here so my recommendation will always be go with Fiat, particularly if you are looking to mod - pushing more power out a forced induction engine is always going to be easier than with a NA engine. The fact the suspension is better sorted is starting to be recognized by the motoring press too.

There are - theoretically - a couple of drop in turbo upgrades, and at least one forum member has done it and is pretty pleased with the results. To see what's ultimately possible with this engine, take a look at the Fiat 500 Abarth forums. If you're willing to spend the money, plenty of people have pushed it up in to the mid 200's.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I'm loving the look of the Abarth 124 as it's interior styling is much better in my opinion to the MX-5. I'm also loving the modification lists available from EC.
Another Aussie here - welcome!

I chose the Abarth because of its rarity. I see quite a few MX5s of various vintages on the streets of Melbourne but have still only seen 1 Abarth.

I've never actually looked inside an MX5 - but I thought it was the same inside as the Abarth - is this incorrect?

·
Registered
638 Posts
Another Aussie here - welcome!
I've never actually looked inside an MX5 - but I thought it was the same inside as the Abarth - is this incorrect?
It's about 95% the same interior finish, bur on the Abarth a few extra soft touch material on the upper doors area and on some places on the dash. The shifter ball is also different.

The the original poster:
I tried a ND RF for about 100km (city and highway driving) there is some good points on ND MX-5: The engine is souple and the shifter throws on that MT6 is much smoother. Clutch take up is also much easier. The MX-5 was to me a much easier car to drive than the Abarth, so it may makes the point that some says the ND a more fun car to drive.

Other than that I prefer the Abarth: Exhaust sound, suspension, the styling, sport button, etc... I also get a lot of attention / thumps up from people everywhere I go including much younger crowd. And some people told me that the 124 styling have more testosterone and doesn't look like a girly car like the MX-5...

I would say the most important is to try both car before making your decision.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hi,

The good news is there isn't really a wrong choice here - both cars are great. With that said, we're a biased bunch here so my recommendation will always be go with Fiat, particularly if you are looking to mod - pushing more power out a forced induction engine is always going to be easier than with a NA engine. The fact the suspension is better sorted is starting to be recognized by the motoring press too.

There are - theoretically - a couple of drop in turbo upgrades, and at least one forum member has done it and is pretty pleased with the results. To see what's ultimately possible with this engine, take a look at the Fiat 500 Abarth forums. If you're willing to spend the money, plenty of people have pushed it up in to the mid 200's.

Big turbo YouTube link
Thank you for posting up this video. I discovered it on YouTube a few weeks ago and when I saw this thread, this was the first thing that came to mind (per the video).....upgrade the turbo.

Now, on the long term, is this a good idea? Not my call, because I'm not going to modify my car in this manner. The guy who modded his Fiat 500 mentions how he "broke" the transmission and that he felt good about that because he broke it due to adding more power. I don't have the discretionary cash to break expensive components of the car.....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts