Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2017 FIAT 124 Spider Abarth
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering the Pirelli P Zero Nero GT or the Continental extreme contact sport. Both highly rated on tire rack and the price is ok.
Can anyone offer feedback on these? Wet traction and handling are a priority here in Florida.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have had good luck with both, but have you looked at FIRESTONE FIREHAWK INDY 500? Basically rebranded Bridgestone Potenza RE003 tires in the US.......cheap and awesome, usually mutually exclusive terms. Wet traction and handling with these is great.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I have had good luck with both, but have you looked at FIRESTONE FIREHAWK INDY 500? Basically rebranded Bridgestone Potenza RE003 tires in the US.......cheap and awesome, usually mutually exclusive terms. Wet traction and handling with these is great.
Hoping you are correct! I just ordered some yesterday and am getting them installed tomorrow. I chose them specifically because of the multitudes of praise other users have given the tire on this board.

Personally, I don't want anything to do with Conti or General ever again.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hoping you are correct! I just ordered some yesterday and am getting them installed tomorrow. I chose them specifically because of the multitudes of praise other users have given the tire on this board.
It's what I run on the 4C.......my son runs them on his FRS.....we like them.

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
Big fan of the Continental. Got those as our daily driver on our Fiat 124, and on my wife's Supercharged RF Miata.
I'm very happy with Continental ExtremeContact Sport on my 124.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Add me to the ECS club lol.

Reactions: sharkcohen

·
Registered
56 Posts
The Pirelli situation is interesting. They never ever win any tests (at least the European ones I follow), but Ferrari and other super car makers use then as OEM tires very often.

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
The Pirelli situation is interesting. They never ever win any tests (at least the European ones I follow), but Ferrari and other super car makers use then as OEM tires very often.
....and interestingly enough, the 500 Abarth's that were manufactured in Mexico for sale in the US and Canada came stock with Pirelli Zero Neros as stock rubber. That was how my 2013 came to me. I found them nice and grippy, but not so great in anything other than a light rain. Heavy rain was a problem for them. And you traded the grippiness for longevity. When I sold the car with 24k kilometers on it, they were due for replacement.

Reactions: Ckriss

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
My ECS are currently on the wall rack for the winter, but I'm a fan. Got caught in a few heavy summer thunderstorms and they did OK - not outstanding, but I never felt unsafe.

Can't comment on the Pirellis or the Indys.

Reactions: sharkcohen

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great info. Thanks to all for the feedback.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I can second the fire Hawk 500's. I've had the latest conti extreme contact and I like those too but you simply cannot beat Firehawk 500 for the price. Performs as good or better than the Conte's on the street. It is not a track tire. I paid a hundred bucks a tire for 225 45 17. Hard to argue with that. It's got a bitchin aggressive tread pattern that catches the eye

·
Premium Member
1,395 Posts
Don't know if you are sorted yet or even if these tyres are available in the USA but her are some feedback % figures of UK users........ Dry Wet Feedback Handling Wear Comfort Buy Again
Conti Sport contact 3 : 90 88 85 84 74 83 80
Conti 5 87 83 79 76 51 74 55

Top Tyres Efficiency
Goodyear Eagle F1 Fuel Wet Sound
Asymetric 5 95 95 92 94 90 89 95 E A .71 dbs (decibels)

Michelin Pilot Sport F A 71 dbs
4 93 91 85 87 76 81 81

May help, may not, Cheers
ron

·
Premium Member
1,395 Posts
Don't know if you are sorted yet or even if these tyres are available in the USA but her are some feedback % figures of UK users........ Dry Wet Feedback Handling Wear Comfort Buy Again
Conti Sport contact 3 : 90 88 85 84 74 83 80
Conti 5 87 83 79 76 51 74 55

Top Tyres Efficiency
Goodyear Eagle F1 Fuel Wet Sound
Asymetric 5 95 95 92 94 90 89 95 E A .71 dbs (decibels)

Michelin Pilot Sport F A 71 dbs
4 93 91 85 87 76 81 81

May help, may not, Cheers
ron
Looked fine whilst listing ? follow Dry Wet ect with figures below in order.

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
I love the Continental ECS, but the Firehawk’s are a great price, I may have to try them next.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for that info.

·
Registered
64 Posts
i have a set of 4 pirelli pzero nero gts on my other vehicle. i combined them with some kmc bully wheels. they grip so tight to the road the are quite tires and great ultra performance summer tires

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
i have a set of 4 pirelli pzero nero gts on my other vehicle. i combined them with some kmc bully wheels. they grip so tight to the road the are quite tires and great ultra performance summer tires
My 2013 500 Abarth came with Zero Nero's as stock rubber, and I loved them. Grippy as heck. The only downside I noticed with them, aside from the rapid wear due to the soft composition that gives that grip, is that I didn't think they performed well in anything other than a gentle rain. In a heavy rain, I tried to get off the road as I just didn't trust them in those conditions. Next summer I'll be due for new tires, so for me, I'll be looking at either the Pirelli Zero Neros or the Firestone Indys. Leaning more towards the Indys as I think their tread pattern will slough water better.

Reactions: Buffandsweet33

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
My 2013 500 Abarth came with Zero Nero's as stock rubber, and I loved them. Grippy as heck. The only downside I noticed with them, aside from the rapid wear due to the soft composition that gives that grip, is that I didn't think they performed well in anything other than a gentle rain. In a heavy rain, I tried to get off the road as I just didn't trust them in those conditions. Next summer I'll be due for new tires, so for me, I'll be looking at either the Pirelli Zero Neros or the Firestone Indys. Leaning more towards the Indys as I think their tread pattern will slough water better.
I felt the same way about the Dunlop Direzza ZIIIs I have on my car. They have about 6,500 miles on them now and could stand to be replaced. They gripped like crazy in dry weather but I didn't like them at all in the rain. I'll be looking for a more neutral tire next time around as I do not plan to race my car this year and don't need 200 tread wear tires.

Reactions: CDPond

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
Continental ExtremeContact Sport are a great choice for both dry and wet.

Reactions: CDPond and Kturley
1 - 20 of 25 Posts