Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 163 Posts

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aloha. While cruising today (not even over 4K rpm during the cruise) freeway, 70mph. The CEL light popped up. Had my OBD with me so I pulled over (got gas too) and read the code. So my OBD doesn't really read a FIAT. I had a choice of manufacturers and tried OTHER, CHRYSLER and MAZDA. all the same P1CEA code.

I double checked all the intake connections. All good. The V4 has been installed for over 500 miles and no codes. So I don't think it's that. But I don't know for sure. Car is running fine nothing has changed for several weeks on the car.

Mods are :
GFB DV
Auto Recambi muffler delete w/ resonators
V4 intake
Info center tweaked using ameridan directions.

What should I be looking for to remedy this fault code? I cleared it with the OBD but now it's stored as a permanent code.

Trying to find ideas online but not really having any success.

Aloha in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
351 Posts
Try this thread at the FIAT 500 forum. The P1CEA code seems to crop up on the 500 when people are fooling around with their intakes, related to an evaporative emissions control line. I don't know how much of that translates to the 124, but it is probably related to your V4 intake. Check all the fittings and see if one is loose.

Perhaps someone from EC can add some insight as to what's going on.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Where is the port for the OBD in the 124?

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mahalo @TomM. Hard to say if the same issue. I'm sure similarities. All my connections look good. Only question I have on my install...is the top connection where the hard tube connection, goes into the V4 intake. (The fiat connection isn't smooth, little nub). See picture.

Even then I don't think that's related to the error code.

@greg I know you have a lot of experience on these engines and have written countless threads. I've tried finding what I could. But I'm still at a loss for "what's the cause". I'd hate to just have to reset the code every time it "pops up".

Attachments

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I'm currently battling the same code. It is typically caused by an leak between the turbo intercooler connection and the intake. I'd check those connections, as people have resolved it by either finding a tiny leak, loose connection, or simply disconnecting everything and reconnecting.

However, I am currently back to stock intake (I have a V4) to see if it occurs with the stock intake [having tried all of the above - there's no leak with the V4 system]. It doesn't show after about 2 weeks and around 400 miles: no P1CEA, when I would get it between 50 and 200 miles. However, I do have a slight hesitation, occasionally, between 3 ad 4k RPM. So I suspect there is a problem, somewhere, but with the stock intake it's not enough to cause the code. With the V4, something is pushed over a threshold.

I've been trying to determine what exactly raises that code, and trace out the solenoids, sensors, connectors, etc. but not having much success in finding that info.

I'm too busy driving the car to get underneath and check the intercooler connections, and other tubes and solenoids...I did have an 'issue' with the passenger side intercooler junction that the 'purple' connector goes to. I'm not a fan of those intercooler connections, as they just seem to 'clip on' and not perfectly sealed like with a worm drive clamp.

·
Vendor
3,657 Posts
P1CEA is an evap code. Dfnsmn34, this has nothing to do with the hard tube connection you posted a picture of. That's for the crank case ventilation, sort of similar, but unrelated to this code.

This code is usually cause by a minor leak in between the intake and the boost pipe after the intercooler. There are some other variables that can cause it. Start by checking the connection on the intercooler pipe and then all the connections from there to the intake, including the factory quick connectors for the evap system. If you are getting the P1CEA code, please email me the details including mods, and when you got it *meaning how you were driving) and if it's related to our intake, I'll take steps to correct it. I haven't seen this code myself on the 124, and we have a lot of miles on our V4, but as I said, there are variables. It seems like it's a very small percentage of people who are getting it.

Greg

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@SJWhiteley Mahalo man... Sorry you are fighting this issue too. Appreciate the post.
@Greg Thanks for the fast reply.

I drove the car yesterday shortly after I cleared the code and today, 28 miles, in normal stop and go traffic to work. No code as of yet. When I get home this afternoon. I'll crawl up under and check out the intercooler connections.

A few more questions...forgive my ignorance as this is my first turbo car.

Does the intercooler have some sort of fluid in it for cooling? If thats so, wouldn't it leak? Or is this all an air-cooled system. (Man I gotta read up on turbos...Just did a quick read...air cooled)

If its part of the evap system, does that/this means only gases in the tubes? So disconnecting and reconnecting doesn't cause any fluid loss?

Does the Purple connector VENT TUBE...have anything to do with the P1CEA code? I know I put that MF back on right (Such a narrow/tight fit) But this was my first suspicion for a leak and I'll remove and reconnect if you think thats a possible cause.

Looking at the parts exploded view drawings to get an idea..wow...lots of air cooling hoses!!!!

wish me luck

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
It's an air/air intercooler, there is no fluid inside the intercooler system. The connection with the purple connector is the first connection I would check if it has ever been disconnected.

Reactions: mikey and Mike34

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's an air/air intercooler, there is no fluid inside the intercooler system. The connection with the purple connector is the first connection I would check if it has ever been disconnected.
Mahalo @sharkcohen

Yeah I did disconnect it when I first put on the V4.1...(July 14) had my instructions mishap (reading the V4 and not the V4.1) didn't realize I didn't need too disconnect it. I will double check it again. Has anyone put grease on the O-ring on those connector? Would that help with sealing the leak?

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Just my .02, don't over tighten those connection, it may actually cause a leak. I would wet the inserts with dish soap water and tighten slightly. If still leaking, I would rev the engine and spray some combustion(don't remember the name) on the inserts. that would give you an idea. Using a method done on carburator bikes.

Reactions: Mike34

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Drove home today. No issues since I cleared the code. (Still saved in the permanent code on the reader...don't know what that means) typical stop and go traffic up to 66mph at times. 85F No CEL...I'll continue to watch and update if any changed. (65 miles since clearing the code)

·
Super Moderator
1,250 Posts
V4 intake fitting

I needed to slightly modify the fittings that came in my kit. The current kit has an improved design. I needed to reduce the diameter of the flange to get them to mate with the engine side fittings and was lucky to get it right. EC is offering replacements to those who need them.
Maybe this is your fix?
Best regards
Pete

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I needed to slightly modify the fittings that came in my kit. The current kit has an improved design. I needed to reduce the diameter of the flange to get them to mate with the engine side fittings and was lucky to get it right. EC is offering replacements to those who need them.
Maybe this is your fix?
Best regards
Pete
Mahalo @pikeman Not to sure...I have the V4.1 and the only true issue was the top hard pipe getting pushed back making it difficult to secure it. But I was able to move it around to get a secure mounting. I haven't crawled underneath yet to scope out the intercooler fittings. But I did squish my hand down in the engine bay and attempt to press down hard on the Purple connector. If I get it again. I'm going to use SUPER LUBE 92003 Silicone lubricating grease.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0081JE0OO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

why not? :laugh:

·
Registered
84 Posts
This code popped up on the way home today. Normal driving - a little freeway and then stop and go. I am not sure if it coded while driving, but after I made a pit stop and started the car, I noticed the engine symbol. I am usually pretty attentive to the dashboard, so I think it started after I got off the freeway. I have a manual Abarth and two weeks ago I installed the DV+ and last week I installed the V4. I checked all the connections when I got home and they seem tight. I don't really want to bring this to the dealer unless necessary, since one of the two mods may be instigators. I do not have a reader yet, but it is on my list.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Aloha...since I initially cleared the CEL. it hasn't come back (knock on wood).(Sounds like same driving style at the time of my CEL @malabarmcgyver )

I haven't tried looking again since I did the Phase 1 tune from EC. (love how it runs now!)

Still watching for any CEL though.

Reactions: malabarmcgyver

·
Registered
84 Posts
P1CEA returned on Friday, 15SEP17. This is a little over two weeks since I first cleared it. I have DV+ and V4. I am not majorly concerned, but would prefer that it not resurface. My connections seem tight. Has anyone had any luck resolving this?

Thanks and have a great week.

Regards,

Jeff

·
Super Moderator
1,250 Posts
Are you using the updated connections for the intake? I got the version prior to Greg's improved design and he has been providing these at no cost. This might be the fix.
Best regards
Pete

·
Registered
769 Posts
about 400 miles without returning. you got me worried though malaba

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have the newer connections from EC for the V4. The DV+ is pretty loud. My son even commented on the "cough" the car made when changing gears. I kind of like the sound - I just had received earlier reports that you really couldn't hear a difference in the stock diverter valve and the DV+. It was about 1000 miles in between the first cel and the second.

Have a great week all!

Regards,

Jeff

1 - 20 of 163 Posts