Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Didn't see anyone else with this issue, so I figured I'd make a new thread for this code. When I went to start the car this morning, when it started up, I got the CEL and the Electronic Throttle Control warning light. Hooked up my OBDII reader and it came up with this code: P1D7F. Turned the car off, and started it back up, and the ETC light went away, but the CEL was still on with the same code. Since it's the first time this has happened, I just cleared the code and I'll monitor it to see if it comes back. I should also mention that on my way home from work yesterday, the car sort of cut off for a second (sorta like if you abruptly let off the gas), flashed a couple lights, and then went on normally without any issue for the rest of the trip. If it happens again, I'll take it to the dealership, but anyone got any ideas, theories to what it might be?

·
Registered
556 Posts
from a 500 forum:

Here is some info on the P1D7F-ETC Self-Learning Failure code:

When Monitored:
With the ignition on.

Set Condition:
The Throttle Body Self Learn procedure was not able to run because the Intake Air temperature and Engine Coolant temperatrue are either too low or too high, the vehicle is moving, or the engine is started.

Possible Causes
POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM)

If DTC is active make sure you diagnose any Throttle Position Sensor, Crankshaft Position Sensor, Camshaft Position Sensor, Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor, Ambient Air temperature Sensor, or Vehicle Speed Sensor DTCs before continuing.

1. Ignition on, engine not running.
2. With the scan tool, erase DTCs in the PCM.
3. Cycle the ignition key off and on several times, leaving the ignition on for at least 10.0 seconds at a time.
4. With the scan tool, perform the Throttle Body Self Learning routine.

Did the DTC return?
Yes
• If no other DTCs are present, replace the Powertrain Control Module

No
• Perform the intermittent condition diagnostic procedure.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Mine did exactly the same thing today....totally surprised me. Since we had an incredible deluge of rain I was thinking that water had somehow messed something up. The brief power drop on the highway and the later ETC flashing light were items I'd never before seen. So I took it to the dealer as I was close by. The tech there is a great guy. Checked it out and he said there was a very brief overboost when I was on the highway which the ECU tallied. He said it was caused by the DV+. He said it was no big deal, that it sometimes happened, that he was sure it was the DV+ and that there was nothing bad that happened, just that it peaked outside set measurements. He reset it and said it was likely to never happen again but if it did at least I'd know the cause.

Reactions: mb2054

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmm interesting. Well, I'll keep monitoring it, and if it happens again, I'll check those items out. I still have the stock spring in the DV+, so if it does it again, I'll take it out to see if it helps.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Hmm interesting. Well, I'll keep monitoring it, and if it happens again, I'll check those items out. I still have the stock spring in the DV+, so if it does it again, I'll take it out to see if it helps.
I used the other spring in mine - but I've been driving with it for nine months with no problems. I think he's right - just a fluke moment that went beyond the pre-programmed parameters. Hope so anyway, because I'm about to buy one of the piggyback tunes.

·
Registered
166 Posts
on my way home from work yesterday, the car sort of cut off for a second (sorta like if you abruptly let off the gas), flashed a couple lights, and then went on normally without any issue for the rest of the trip.
Car did the same thing to me tonight on the freeway home - at exactly 20,000 miles. Car was at the dealers on Saturday to finish off the last maintenance - they finally got the filters in. No check engine light for me yet.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Car did the same thing to me tonight on the freeway home - at exactly 20,000 miles. Car was at the dealers on Saturday to finish off the last maintenance - they finally got the filters in. No check engine light for me yet.
I know my CEL didn't show up until i started the car the next day, but if yours hasn't shown yet, maybe you're good.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Well both lights came back on this morning when I started. I didn't want to drive back over to the dealership so I cleared them again myself. I hope it stays off. I'm not sure I understand why the DV+ would be causing this after nine months of trouble free use (but that's what the tech thinks). I did use the new spring but, still.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Didn't see anyone else with this issue, so I figured I'd make a new thread for this code. When I went to start the car this morning, when it started up, I got the CEL and the Electronic Throttle Control warning light. Hooked up my OBDII reader and it came up with this code: P1D7F. Turned the car off, and started it back up, and the ETC light went away, but the CEL was still on with the same code. Since it's the first time this has happened, I just cleared the code and I'll monitor it to see if it comes back. I should also mention that on my way home from work yesterday, the car sort of cut off for a second (sorta like if you abruptly let off the gas), flashed a couple lights, and then went on normally without any issue for the rest of the trip. If it happens again, I'll take it to the dealership, but anyone got any ideas, theories to what it might be?
Identical thing happened to me on my 2017 fiat 124 spyder (elt and cel lights initially, elt persists). I'm wondering if this occurs with cool weather, also occurred for me after a rain storm.
Has happened twice--cel also clears spontaneously after driving.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi all, any updates on this? Did your fault code reappear? How did you get on?
It happened to me upon WOT in low rpm (engine basically limped for a second, oil and battery lights came on briefly and then back to normal). And the next time I started it up after a few days it gave me a CEL and this code. I cleared the code. And it did not reappear so far today. No idea how to perform "throttle body self learning routine" or what that is. Also, when I start up (but do not crank) the CEL comes on as usual on all startups but after a few seconds it blinks 10 times which usually means that checks are not complete since last code clearing (not sure if this has been happening since the phase 1 tune install a couple of months ago). Wondering what this means and what else could be messed up.

Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
38 Posts
OP, any updates since this?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Well both lights came back on this morning when I started. I didn't want to drive back over to the dealership so I cleared them again myself. I hope it stays off. I'm not sure I understand why the DV+ would be causing this after nine months of trouble free use (but that's what the tech thinks). I did use the new spring but, still.
Do you remember what happened finally? How did it get sorted?

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Reactions: CostarreraGT

·
Registered
38 Posts
It only happened the one time and never came back.
Thanks for the update.
Same for me but CEL still blinking 10 times on startup indicating checks have not been completed (150km after the code was cleared).

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the update.
Same for me but CEL still blinking 10 times on startup indicating checks have not been completed (150km after the code was cleared).
I cleared mine with a cheap OBD2 scanner, didn't wait for it to try and clear itself.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I cleared mine with a cheap OBD2 scanner, didn't wait for it to try and clear itself.
Same but after code clear the ecu runs tests for se drive cycles until it can certify all is well. Until those tests r concluded u don't know if the code would come back. The way the car tells u they r still running is the cel blinks 10times with accessories mode ON. This is where I'm at.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts