Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The engine compartment area contains a lot of black items, black struts, black tubing, etc. I thought I would add a little color to that area by using up some red paint (Paint Scratch, Inv. # 665978, 2017 Fiat Rosso KR1) that I had left over from painting the black Stubby Antenna. The four pictures below show the progress from the original cover to the painted installed version. I like the results, and certainly brightens up the engine compartment. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
That looks great, nice work. I'll send mine to you right away!

A red air intake system would add a big splash of color as well, along with a few extra hp/torque.

How resistant to high heat is that paint? It's a toasty environment under that hood.

Steve.

·
Registered
157 Posts
very nice!
The engine compartment area contains a lot of black items, black struts, black tubing, etc. I thought I would add a little color to that area by using up some red paint (Paint Scratch, Inv. # 665978, 2017 Fiat Rosso KR1) that I had left over from painting the black Stubby Antenna. The four pictures below show the progress from the original cover to the painted installed version. I like the results, and certainly brightens up the engine compartment. :)

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Paint Engine Cover

That looks great, nice work. I'll send mine to you right away!

A red air intake system would add a big splash of color as well, along with a few extra hp/torque.

How resistant to high heat is that paint? It's a toasty environment under that hood.

Steve.
Have no idea how heat resistant that paint may be. Just wanted to use up the remainder from painting the Black Stubby Antenna.
Had given some thought to getting the V1 in Red, but am very happy with the response for my 124A by using the Sport Mode. Use it a lot, perhaps too much WOT, as my gas mileage is just 20 MPG. :(
From one of your earlier posts, I asked about a lake in the upper MI Peninsula. BTW your pictures are outstanding. Is there a lake in that area called: "Lake of the Clouds". Recall going up there many years ago when I lived in Wausau, WI.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Paint Engine Cover

a little color never hurts
Note from your post that you live in New Orleans, LA. You may have noted from my posts that an earlier ride was a '69 124 Spider. Did buy that Spider in New Orleans when I lived in Park Ridge Illinois, and commuted weekly to my office on the 18th floor of the International Trade Mart building. Was the Resident Manager of a national executive search firm, and did that commute for almost a year before moving to California. Really is exciting to be back in the Red 124 Spider Abarth. Really love how the car handles. :)

·
Registered
574 Posts
That looks extremely vibrant and really pleasing to the eye. I would love to figure out a way to get a real smooth finish though, I've always felt like the wrinkle finish looks a bit odd

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Had given some thought to getting the V1 in Red, but am very happy with the response for my 124A by using the Sport Mode. Use it a lot, perhaps too much WOT, as my gas mileage is just 20 MPG. :(
From one of your earlier posts, I asked about a lake in the upper MI Peninsula. BTW your pictures are outstanding. Is there a lake in that area called: "Lake of the Clouds". Recall going up there many years ago when I lived in Wausau, WI.
CA Kid- pictures, thank you! Sorry, I must have missed your previous inquiry. I had to look up that lake, and yes, there is a Lake of the Clouds, inside Porcupine Mountain State Park, along the shore of Lake Superior. I've not gone into that park, but it's a popular one, I'm told. It is in the western end of the UP, west of Ontonagon, northeast of Ironwood, MI (and the WI border). Where I was at was another 100 miles or so up the lakeshore, the Keewenaw Peninsula, northeast of Houghton/Hancock. General area between Phoenix and Copper Harbor, MI.

20mpg?! You must really flog that car. I'm a pretty "normal" driver by comparison and I'm hanging out in the mid-30s mpg range. I do have the red V1 intake, quite a splash of color with it.

Steve.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts