Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning to continue my yellow theme under the bonnet/hood. I've got a tin of 260C yellow high temp caliper paint. Planning to do oil cap, dipstick and maybe the fiat lettering on the engine cover. I then saw people had done the turbo bracket.

Will 260c caliper paint be enough to withstand temps there?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I had the same thoughts before I painted mine .In the end I used XHT rated at 650c .So far after a year it is still there . No primer and about 5 thin coats . Since then I have fitted a Turbo Blanket . Now the only thing is I dont think they do yellow but 650 C rated works ok . I think 260 rated may be marginal my opinion only.
Pete.

Reactions: Brexit !

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmmm thanks both. It's a tin I have from about a year ago helping a mate with a project.

260 seems a bit low compared to 650....

@Arthur do you recall the temp rating of your paint ?

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
Hi Boddle Lad....I also wonder about 260 c...for the cost of a spray/tin of paint I personally would not risk using the one you have. Ifif helps....I bought "Tetrosyl" Fire Cote, Very High Temperature paint, brush and spray set for £3,49 at a local ish big country store "Trago Mills" a while back, 400 ml . I couldn't see any temp markings on can but clearly states Engines & Exhausts. There are lots of youtube videos about with lads pointing those clever heat guns befor and after turbo blanket fitted showing "I think"...more than 260 C so have a watch of one or two of them risking anything Mate....Cheers
ron

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers, totally agree! A quick google suggests that even with a blanket turbo surface temps can reach 300C, so I wouldnt want to risk it. I'll do the other bits then see how I feel.
Thanks

·
Registered
211 Posts

·
Premium Member
2018 124 Spider Abarth Custom
1,820 Posts
I went to a fireplace and iron stove website to buy the 1200F (650C) spray primer and paint that I used on the heat shields. That's enough to handle the radiant heat for the most part. I commissioned the powder coat services of @Phillip33 for the valve cover, turbo bracket, and turbo compressor housing before I looked for the paint.

·
Premium Member
1,678 Posts
Not sure. But for info I painted mine with red brake caliper paint. I also have a turbo blanket as do you. Mine was painted ~ 2,000 miles ago and looks same as day it was applied. Should be OK ?
I echo Arthur's assessment, as I've done the same with the same outcomes. I used a VHT caliper paint I purchased at Canadian Tire that is rated at 900F (482C). $16 CAD a can (spray), and though I used red, it also comes in "bright yellow". :)

Reactions: Mike34 and Arthur

·
Premium Member
2018 124 Spider Abarth Custom
1,820 Posts
Have anyone posted a How To guide covering the removal of the bracket for painting?
It's 3 bolts/nuts that you remove when putting on a turbo blanket. Pull off the plastic top cover, then remove the 2 on the valve cover (1 is the top cover standoff) and 1 on the turbo itself.

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
Have anyone posted a How To guide covering the removal of the bracket for painting?
All updated and explained "for you" in the Turbo Blankets Review 2020 in this section a few minutes ago. :) Cheers
ron

·
Registered
784 Posts
I echo Arthur's assessment, as I've done the same with the same outcomes. I used a VHT caliper paint I purchased at Canadian Tire that is rated at 900F (482C). $16 CAD a can (spray), and though I used red, it also comes in "bright yellow". :)
All this turbo bracket paint talk got me thinking...just removed mine and painted it with a left over can of black BBQ paint (Rustoleum)...dries flat, ie not shiny, looks pretty good, dries really fast in 90 degree temps, and withstands 1200 degrees. Worked on my BBQ grille for some years now, and held up well. The whole project was less than 30 mins. Did I mention it dries fast??? What will I do the rest of the day?

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Boodle while at it, use the left over spray or can to paint your brake calipers. They'll look good.

·
Super Moderator
790 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts