Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
my understanding is that the car is capable of fast charging if you use a charging only cable (one that does not allow data transfer between the car and the phone) that is fast charging capable, or you use a standard fast charge cable and just deal with the phone trying to connect with the phone. but if you are trying to use the phone to stream you might not want it to connect to the car..
All of the smartphone audio streaming is Bluetooth anyway so the USB cable is only being used for charging in any case. I haven't tried a different cable - I just plug mine in to keep the phone battery up while streaming from the apps or direct audio files from the phone. (And of course, calls and messages.)

·
Registered
476 Posts
All of the smartphone audio streaming is Bluetooth anyway so the USB cable is only being used for charging in any case. I haven't tried a different cable - I just plug mine in to keep the phone battery up while streaming from the apps or direct audio files from the phone. (And of course, calls and messages.)
but there is the whole annoying car trying to switch over to the phone memory and the phone making requests to allow it. was annoying to me, i like to jump in pop the phone on the cord and just go, the charge only cable allows that. i would probably only use the bluetooth to stream from my phone so never need a cable for data.

·
Registered
560 Posts
but there is the whole annoying car trying to switch over to the phone memory and the phone making requests to allow it. was annoying to me, i like to jump in pop the phone on the cord and just go, the charge only cable allows that. i would probably only use the bluetooth to stream from my phone so never need a cable for data.
Not sure what requests you mean on Bluetooth, unless that's an iPhone thing. (I'm Android). I gave permission the first time and any time after that as long as the app is running on the phone the car will take control of the app on the phone automatically. I frequently switch back and forth between several of them and don't have to look at the phone at all for that.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Not sure what requests you mean on Bluetooth, unless that's an iPhone thing. (I'm Android). I gave permission the first time and any time after that as long as the app is running on the phone the car will take control of the app on the phone automatically. I frequently switch back and forth between several of them and don't have to look at the phone at all for that.
not in bluetooth mode, when tethered with a cable is when you see this. the car will try to switch over to the phone memory and the phone asks you twice if you want to give permissions to the cat to access this info.

·
Registered
560 Posts
not in bluetooth mode, when tethered with a cable is when you see this. the car will try to switch over to the phone memory and the phone asks you twice if you want to give permissions to the cat to access this info.
Gotcha. Seems like BT is easier. I'm still able to access all my files that I've saved to the phone as long as the apps are up. I'll try to play around with direct tether but it seems it would get in the way with phone use and that may be why I opted for all BT ages ago.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Gotcha. Seems like BT is easier. I'm still able to access all my files that I've saved to the phone as long as the apps are up. I'll try to play around with direct tether but it seems it would get in the way with phone use and that may be why I opted for all BT ages ago.
absolutely BT is the way to go, but if you want/need to charge your phone using the USB ports, even when using BT or even while listening to XM or a different USB port, then you get those messages unless you use a charging only cable. that was my point to just avoid those messages and hijacking when using the phone.

·
Registered
560 Posts
absolutely BT is the way to go, but if you want/need to charge your phone using the USB ports, even when using BT or even while listening to XM or a different USB port, then you get those messages unless you use a charging only cable. that was my point to just avoid those messages and hijacking when using the phone.
That doesn't happen with mine. I'm using a normal USB cable - it carries data also - if I turn BT off I can still access the phone. But I normally use it as you say and never get any requests for permission. I do have the car set as a safe connection but I think that's only a BT setting. In any case, it all connects without any interaction.

·
Registered
73 Posts
soooooooo, it seems to be easier if we use JUST a charging only cable and BT connect for Pandora and such? to avoid any problems?

·
Registered
560 Posts
I think that's the best way.

soooooooo, it seems to be easier if we use JUST a charging only cable and BT connect for Pandora and such? to avoid any problems?

·
Registered
335 Posts
When I'm using the pandora app streaming off my phone, it disconnects every few minutes and reconnects, saying an error with connectivity. When streaming amazon music it is quite stable. Anyone else have issues with the Pandora app and solution to getting it working right. Using ip7 with latest ios10 os.

Thanks,

mg
I have the exact same issue with Pandora on my 2018 Spider Abarth. I use a USB cable. My phone is a Samsung Galaxy J7. I don’t have this problem streaming music on my 2019 Toyota Tacoma, nor on any of my prior Jeeps.

I tried clearing the cache on my phone. It helped for a short while but the problem appears to be getting worse.

Googling for a solution I found Miata owners are having similar issues with Pandora. So it appears to be a connectivity problem with the Mazda system.

Has anyone found a solution?

21 - 31 of 31 Posts