Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mechanic did an inspection with my car, but he does not fix 'italian cars', and wasn't aware this was based off a mazda mx5 for many of the parts.

But the issues were:
1) LHS tie rod end outer (some play causing noise on rough roads and uneven tire wear)
2) Rear gearbox flange seal (this area has a bit of oil leak, not dripping, more like bmw it gets oily wet around the casing)
3) Intercooler pipe gasket (air intake - some air leak)
4) Engine mount (it is fully down)
5) AC fan blower making whining noise on low speed (probably fan motor needs changing)

Are these parts same as MX5 where I could get him to order from mazda and fit?

·
Premium Member
2018 124 Abarth
385 Posts
My mechanic did an inspection with my car, but he does not fix 'italian cars', and wasn't aware this was based off a mazda mx5 for many of the parts.

But the issues were:
1) LHS tie rod end outer (some play causing noise on rough roads and uneven tire wear)
2) Rear gearbox flange seal (this area has a bit of oil leak, not dripping, more like bmw it gets oily wet around the casing)
3) Intercooler pipe gasket (air intake - some air leak)
4) Engine mount (it is fully down)
5) AC fan blower making whining noise on low speed (probably fan motor needs changing)

Are these parts same as MX5 where I could get him to order from mazda and fit?
1. yes, 2 yes, but from earlier NC Miata, 3 NO, 4 probably no, 5. Maybe.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Hi and welcome.....Photo of your 124 Spider would be nice. Engine and all accessories are different design Mazda Skyactive, Fiat Multiair. Engine mounts same, however......mount brackets that bolt to engine different. Tie Rods okay, Diff unit (rear gearbox?) is also different we use Mazda MX5 "NC" G/B. Not sure why your Mechanic/fitter/engineer does not work on Italian cars though.....Cheers

Reactions: 17221

·
Read Only
1,690 Posts
This is a great conversation to keep going.

My original battery cover was missing, since my OEM battery had been replaced with one of a different size. This Mazda part # is the same component as the Fiat cover.

P59T-18-59XA2016-2020 Mazda MX-5 Miata - Battery Cover

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He has never worked on italian cars before lol, he worries he couldn't get the parts

What I can see from here
1) Same as MX5
2) Same as MX5 NC
3) Fiat exclusive
4) What does it mean the mount bracket is different, do I remove the mx5 bracket and reuse the existing bracket?
5) Fiat exclusive

6) Any recommendation for battery? My original cover is also missing but it seems not that important as long as the contact points are covered

·
Registered
2018 124 Spider Abarth Custom
2,584 Posts
4) What does it mean the mount bracket is different, do I remove the mx5 bracket and reuse the existing bracket?
The motor mounts are 2-piece on each side. The lower perches that bolt to the frame are Mazda, the actual motor mounts that bolt to block and then the perches are FCA.

Reactions: Brexit ! and 17221

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Anything can be done for motor mount, it seems not interchangeable then.

It would be a lot cheaper if fan blower is coming from mazda, or any OEM for that matter, they probably slab the mazda logo and increase the price

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
For 3) intercooler pipe gasket, that's likely to be the crazy "4 bolt flange with only 3 bolts" where there is a small O ring with a "handle" (looks like ○-- ) and you can try to add some sealant, find a thicker O ring or replace the OE intercooler and connecting 90° bends with a better aftermarket part.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
An interchange guide with pictures is available:
You beat me to it.... this is a website that he needs to share with his prospective mechanic, as it covers a lof of the questions he's asked.... and more that will be of use in the future.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Alternator is likely to be specific to the engine, so an FCA part, but possibly shared with other models

Reactions: pikeman

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Is anyone using the automatic gearbox? I saw that at night there is no backlit for the letters P, D, R, etc makes it difficult to shift. Also the little cover opening that you pry open in an emergency to force the gear into position is misisng, does anyone know whether is mazda specific and if I could buy the little cover only?

·
Registered
126 Posts
I once had a Fiat franchise try to unnecessarily upsell me new brake pads, brake discs and tyres. They quoted me north of £1200

LOL

When I owned MX5s before I owned a 124, the best place for parts, such as brake discs and pads, was the website www.mx5parts.co.uk

OEM Mazda MX5 ND front discs £117 for the pair
OEM Mazda MX5 ND front pads £99.25 for both sides

Looking at the website for aftermarket brakes company, EBC. The 124 and the 2 litre MX5 ND share the same part numbers.

When I reminded the franchise of this, it sounded like twe were paying more for the same part in Fiat branded packaging compared to Mazda branded packaging.

interestingly I once had the undertray repaired in a Mazda dealership. The Mazda dealership were happy to do this. And I received a much better standard of customer service from them!

·
Read Only
1,690 Posts
Is anyone using the automatic gearbox? I saw that at night there is no backlit for the letters P, D, R, etc makes it difficult to shift.
I never noticed if the letters are backlit at night. I shift by feel; don't think I've ever looked down at the selector while using it. I just move it deliberately through the detents. One detent P to R, three detents P to D, two detents D to R, three detents D to P, one detent R to P.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts